Quantcast

New Turner Highline

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have always liked Turner bikes, so when they started blowing out the 2008 models I had to jump on one. I decided on the Highline to fill the gap between my Yeti 575 and Iron Horse Kumicho. The original plan was to use the Highline to replace the Kumicho by taking all the parts from that bike, but when some parts didn't fit I decided to just do an all new build instead. Ordered the frame and some parts from Go-Ride, and pieced the rest together picking up parts here and there based on good deals.

The build is as follows:

Large Candy Blue Highline frame with DHX 5.0
2008 Marzocchi 66 RC3 (1.5 steerer)
Cane Creek Double X headset
FSA Gap 1.5 50mm stem
Easton Havoc bars
Oury lock on grips
Azonic Outlaw wheels (ano gray)
Maxxis Minion tires (2.7 3C Front and 2.5 Sticky Rear)
Avid Code brakes w/8" rotors
FSA Gravity Lite crank/BB
Sram X.9 rear derailleur
Sram X.9 shifter
Sram 970 cassette
Sram 971 chain
Blackspire Stinger
custom inner guide ring
Raceface seatpost
WTB Pure V Race saddle

I intend this bike to be mostly used for lift served DH/freeride, but I do want to be able to pedal it and even climb modest hills if necessary which is why I went for the large size and a dual ring capable crankset.

Thanks to w00dy for help with the build and setup.

Took the Highline for it's maiden voyage this weekend to Snowshoe WV. It was also my first trip there. Conditions were far from prime as it rained all night so it was extra greasy everywhere. The Highline almost instantly felt comfortable, and by the 3rd run I was just as confident as I would have been on my Kumicho. However I was not able to push it as hard as I normally would due to the unfamiliar terrain and slippery trails. I am really looking forward to my next trip, most likely to Diablo.

Now for some pics:

Loch Bill

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Nice, VERY NICE.
I'm just about to build up a highline, same frame as this. I'm looking at Rockshox Domain 318 180mm travel, also Shimano Saint 2009 groupset with cranks 36/22. Looking also at Avid Codes. I'm not using it on lift served rides so need to use it to get me to the top! Does this sound okay?
All help greatly apreciated.

Other bikes 2005 Trek Ex8
Specialized FSR

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice, VERY NICE.
I'm just about to build up a highline, same frame as this. I'm looking at Rockshox Domain 318 180mm travel, also Shimano Saint 2009 groupset with cranks 36/22. Looking also at Avid Codes. I'm not using it on lift served rides so need to use it to get me to the top! Does this sound okay?
All help greatly apreciated.
That would be a fine build. Does the Domain have U-turn travel adjust? I would think that would be a good asset to have if you are going to climb with it. I haven't really had a chance to climb anything with mine, but like all DH/FR bikes it is somewhat heavy and slack and while it pedals really well, it still doesn't seem like a great climber. The Codes I have are awesome so far. The Saint crank with 36/22 would be perfect, I will probably change my ring to 34 or 36 soon.

Loch Bill

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
That would be a fine build. Does the Domain have U-turn travel adjust? I would think that would be a good asset to have if you are going to climb with it. I haven't really had a chance to climb anything with mine, but like all DH/FR bikes it is somewhat heavy and slack and while it pedals really well, it still doesn't seem like a great climber. The Codes I have are awesome so far. The Saint crank with 36/22 would be perfect, I will probably change my ring to 34 or 36 soon.
The U-Turns are only 115-160mm travel while Turner rec 180mm. I've read that it can climb quite well however, I prefer to take advice from guys like you that already have one built up!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Looks good except for the wonky cable routing. Who the hell did that?
Yeah some idiot that must not know much about wrenching on bikes did that! :bonk:

I messed around with it last night, best I could do was get it to flop the other way instead but at least it doesn't stick off the front. I will have to take off the hose and shorten + rotate it to get it right, but I'll do that over the winter when I'm not riding it.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Great lookin bike man, pretty sure I saw you riding it down at Snowshoe that weekend. It was definitely snotty...
Thanks dude. Must have been me at Snowshoe, I haven't ever seen another Highline in person...definitely greasy last weekend, I plan on going back when it's dry to really test the bike out, since that was my first ride on it. What were you riding?

BTW do you still have the Transition Vagrant that was in the classifieds for sale?

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Thanks dude. Must have been me at Snowshoe, I haven't ever seen another Highline in person...definitely greasy last weekend, I plan on going back when it's dry to really test the bike out, since that was my first ride on it. What were you riding?

BTW do you still have the Transition Vagrant that was in the classifieds for sale?
Yeah, good luck getting Snowshoe in the dry ;) I got 1 out of 3 weekends dry this summer and was stoked with that.

I was riding a black Blindside, white 888 with a Chainlove sticker on the lowers. Still have the Vagrant but I decided to hold onto it through the winter for Ray's MTB Park duty. Will probably sell it in the spring.