Quantcast

new (used) car time

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
We added another car to our garage. 2006 Vulva V70 2.4L w/ 86k miles.
its finally nice to have a car that actually has usable space for our road trips and it gets 30mpg...more than twice as much as my truck.

the huge reduction in power coming from my truck will take some getting used to but i thankfully still have it to go on joyrides.

(apparently someone already has IH8Rice plates :think:)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
As long as you add a fart can and drive it like a jackass, it's ok.
can i just put some NOS and K&N stickers on and call it a day?

i did actually look into performance parts for this but apparently V70 and performance dont go together (unless its the R model.)
im actually kind of glad since i put so much into my truck.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Have to agree that its anything but sporty but super comfortable. Drove my XC70 to Knoxville, TN and back recently and its a perfect for road trips. Decent mileage and seat are amazing. Tong of room inside so I could take a nap in the car on the way down. Mine is only at 32500 miles so it should hopefully last for a while.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
How do you like it so far? Funny thing, I am looking for a used car and the volvo wagon and suv are on the list. I didn't want another car, but after my honda crapped out and caught fire last night I think it's time.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How do you like it so far? Funny thing, I am looking for a used car and the volvo wagon and suv are on the list. I didn't want another car, but after my honda crapped out and caught fire last night I think it's time.
as with every other newer Volvo, the suspension is super soft and has a bit of understeer in the turns but it makes for a super comfortable ride.
the base 2.4L is pretty good in city driving but at highway speeds, the acceleration isnt that great. the 2.5L turbo model doesnt have this issue (for obvious reasons.) i would have really like the V70R model since you can change the chassis stiffness and it has significantly more power (with more untapped power there,) but they are hard to find and are a lot of money.

its the perfect vehicle for our 3 dogs or when we go on long biking weekends...just what we were looking for

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
as with every other newer Volvo, the suspension is super soft and has a bit of understeer in the turns but it makes for a super comfortable ride.
the base 2.4L is pretty good in city driving but at highway speeds, the acceleration isnt that great. the 2.5L turbo model doesnt have this issue (for obvious reasons.) i would have really like the V70R model since you can change the chassis stiffness and it has significantly more power (with more untapped power there,) but they are hard to find and are a lot of money.

its the perfect vehicle for our 3 dogs or when we go on long biking weekends...just what we were looking for
What he said. I have EXACTLY the same car (year, color, wheels, mileage is close etc) though mine's a manual. It's been reliable, it's comfy, the interior is nice, and it's fine, if not a huge amount of fun, to drive. Great practical choice.

Not a fan of the XC 90 though. It's a lot bigger and heavier without having any more useful space, (IIRC it actually has less cargo room) gas mileage suffers badly, etc. It doesn't even have a good 4wd system so you're not loosing much their either. Slap some decent snow tires on the V70 and you're golden if you have some idea how to drive in snow.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
We added another car to our garage. 2006 Vulva V70 2.4L w/ 86k miles.
its finally nice to have a car that actually has usable space for our road trips and it gets 30mpg...more than twice as much as my truck.

the huge reduction in power coming from my truck will take some getting used to but i thankfully still have it to go on joyrides.

(apparently someone already has IH8Rice plates :think:)
Sorry for the grave dig, but do you really get 30mpg on the highway with this car? Is it a manual? How fast do you drive? Nice car btw, wagons will rule the earth one day.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have the XC70 version which gets 25-26 mpg on highway if I drive the speed limit. The 4-wheel drive lowers mpg. I just got new tires but I have not taken it on any longer trips to see if it makes a difference.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sorry for the grave dig, but do you really get 30mpg on the highway with this car? Is it a manual? How fast do you drive? Nice car btw, wagons will rule the earth one day.
nope, its a 5speed automatic. without the rack on, i can easily get 29-30mpg. with the rack on and driving somewhat "sensibly," i can get 26-27mpg but i typically get 22 around town driving the way i do.. loaded down with my DH bike on the roof, driving normally, i usually get 22-24mpg.
all of this is still a HUGE improvement over my truck's average of 10city/15highway :rolleyes:.

the car has been solid so far. i do have a short near the e-brake though. when i pull the e-brake up, the check engine light comes on even with the car off. theres thankfully nothing really wrong with it, besides the short.
the cheap tires that were on it are total crap. even though they are still somewhat new, i predict new all-season tires very soon...as well as new front disc pads and possibly rotors. the latter is no big deal really.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I almost puked when I was looking at tire prices last month when I got them for the Focus (read: tiny ass tires).

I am DREADING new 31" AT's for the Jeep right before winter hits.