Quantcast

new (used) car time

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The trunk is so big you can fit in two dh bikes with the wheels off if you want to save more on gas. Or fold down the rear seats and there is a NYC studio apartment at your disposal.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I almost puked when I was looking at tire prices last month when I got them for the Focus (read: tiny ass tires).

I am DREADING new 31" AT's for the Jeep right before winter hits.
yeah they are nuts. when my old man bought the tires, i wasnt expecting to buy it from him so i told him to buy cheaper tires ($100ish/each) and now regretting that recommendation :rolleyes:

my truck needs new tires and last i looked, Pilot Sport PS2's are around $300/each :(

The trunk is so big you can fit in two dh bikes with the wheels off if you want to save more on gas. Or fold down the rear seats and there is a NYC studio apartment at your disposal.
i would do that but i usually have a ton of gear with me and a dog in the back when i go on trips.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
And yes, I too, like wagons. But there have been 2 occasions this summer where I really wish I had some good ground clearance. As much fun as the WRX is 95% of the time, I really wish I had a more suitable shuttle vehicle for rougher roads.

I think my next vehicle will either be an Outback wagon, an older XC70 of some kind, or an older Allroad. Hitch, and 4 bike rack for the back.

I used to drool over V70R's at the dealer from time to time. Drove one just for kicks once. They're quick, but they're also BIG! The turning radius is something I'd have to get used to for sure. [/whitepeopleproblem]

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
And yes, I too, like wagons. But there have been 2 occasions this summer where I really wish I had some good ground clearance. As much fun as the WRX is 95% of the time, I really wish I had a more suitable shuttle vehicle for rougher roads.

I think my next vehicle will either be an Outback wagon, an older XC70 of some kind, or an older Allroad. Hitch, and 4 bike rack for the back.

I used to drool over V70R's at the dealer from time to time. Drove one just for kicks once. They're quick, but they're also BIG! The turning radius is something I'd have to get used to for sure. [/whitepeopleproblem]
These two things sort of contradict each other (to a degree). Unless you're talking just slightly rough/rocky roads and a bit more clearance for that. If you have a vehicle with decent ground clearance and that proves to be not enough, you'll be amazed how often you'll be dragging that rack on the ground.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
These two things sort of contradict each other (to a degree). Unless you're talking just slightly rough/rocky roads and a bit more clearance for that. If you have a vehicle with decent ground clearance and that proves to be not enough, you'll be amazed how often you'll be dragging that rack on the ground.
Yeah, that's true... I've scraped mine just going up the stupid driveway to Transcend's place.

But a hitch itself doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the rearward projection of the bike carrier. My ingenious bike carrier design would include a riser to help mitigate this problem.

But yeah, I'm not talking big 4x4 roads, just the odd forest service road.

Had to park here:

This road doesn't look like much in the pic, but it would have eaten the WRX:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I almost puked when I was looking at tire prices last month when I got them for the Focus (read: tiny ass tires).

I am DREADING new 31" AT's for the Jeep right before winter hits.
:stupid:

Were skipping a mortgage payment this month due to our re-fi. Most of it is going into new 31"s for the wrangler. :think: Though I must say the four that are on it I bought when we still lived in portland/vancouver. That means they are 7+ years old. Guess I got my $$$$ worth out of them.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
nope, its a 5speed automatic. without the rack on, i can easily get 29-30mpg. with the rack on and driving somewhat "sensibly," i can get 26-27mpg but i typically get 22 around town driving the way i do.. loaded down with my DH bike on the roof, driving normally, i usually get 22-24mpg.
all of this is still a HUGE improvement over my truck's average of 10city/15highway :rolleyes:.
Wow certainly better than a truck that's for sure! My new (to me) subaru wagon (2006 impreza) gets about 28mpg. Smaller car than a V70 + but AWD kills mpgs. Compared to my previous car, Toyota Echo, the Subie feels like a V8 gas truck in terms of gas consumption. But I guess everything but a TDI or Prius would feel that way when you come from such a small car.

BUT, wagons, man, wagons. Admittedly, the Impreza is not a big wagon, but sure beats the ol car and fits surprisingly a lot of stuff in it.

I wonder what the gas mileage is like on a AWD V70 (or XC 70)??

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I agree, wagons rule.
I picked up a Dodge Magnum recently. I know, its a Chrysler but it works for me. Sure is a lot better than my gas guzzling van.

Helping my girlfriend move in right now, so I have been hauling a ton of crap in it - amazing how much it can haul.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wonder what the gas mileage is like on a AWD V70 (or XC 70)??
According to Edmunds my 2007 is 16 city/23 hwy mpg. I think over all that is pretty spot on. You can get better of course if you are really careful. Mine is the last of older style the new one get 18/24. As I wrote above if the indicator in the car is correct I can get better on highway if I follow the speed limit. Driving NYC to Knoxville and back I got somewhere between 25-26mpg and it runs on regular gas.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
interior cabin space was one of the biggest selling points for me. most SUVs have a ton of room, but i was able to fit a full size mattress in the back with plenty of room for the wooden bed frame.

while i do love the car, i wish the understeer wasnt so damn bad. after driving the two Volvos my mother had (C70 convertible and S80,) it seems like its the case across the board on their cars.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The Volvo understeer is annoying. We put about 500mi on my moms XC70 (V6, gutless at altitude) when we visited her in Denver. Comfortable car for cruising down to taos but uninspiring in the twisties. All the 'safety' sensors (blind spot, front/rear bumper, music too loud....) drove me insane too.

My wife's E350 4matic wagon is the balls. Lots of space, quick around town, a hammer on the interstate, built like a vault and fun to throw around thanks to the sport package.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And yes, I too, like wagons. But there have been 2 occasions this summer where I really wish I had some good ground clearance. As much fun as the WRX is 95% of the time, I really wish I had a more suitable shuttle vehicle for rougher roads. [/whitepeopleproblem]

http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/shop/subaru-impreza-08-11-hdpe/

There are others that make these too. Putting in a heavier spring and the spacers keep my back-end clearance good when I'm loaded.

I also mounted a skid plate up front and a diff guard in the rear in case I do bottom out.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, that's true... I've scraped mine just going up the stupid driveway to Transcend's place.

But a hitch itself doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the rearward projection of the bike carrier. My ingenious bike carrier design would include a riser to help mitigate this problem.
Simple solution: Two bike rear rack, two on top. I thought you were the smart brother...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Volvo understeer is annoying. We put about 500mi on my moms XC70 (V6, gutless at altitude) when we visited her in Denver. Comfortable car for cruising down to taos but uninspiring in the twisties. All the 'safety' sensors (blind spot, front/rear bumper, music too loud....) drove me insane too.

My wife's E350 4matic wagon is the balls. Lots of space, quick around town, a hammer on the interstate, built like a vault and fun to throw around thanks to the sport package.
I really do not like the new XC70 but I do not mind the understeer as it just forces my led foot to easy up and drive slower but it is kind of strange they have never managed to make them handle a little better.

E350 sure is a different price range too difficult to compare. I was going to get the 535xi wagon but just did not want that much money parked on the street with the little driving I do.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
E350 sure is a different price range too difficult to compare. I was going to get the 535xi wagon but just did not want that much money parked on the street with the little driving I do.
It was more just a 'wagons rule' comment.
Agree about the cost. Ours is an 06 that we picked up with 78k/mi for $19k.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wagons rule.
I had an Audi urS6 Avant and it was the bees knees. Too bad it was a 1995 Audi. Handled great, accelerated like mad, and had plenty of space for two bikes. I actually slept in it once, when I didn't feel like setting up my tent at platty. Boxster brakes, 5spd...it was getting there but i didn't have the time to finish it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am going to get a wagon, but my intended purpose will be slightly different then yours, but mostly the same.

I bought a 2 door impreza RS for driving to work, and for commuting it's great, but the seat doesn't fold down, so I can't fit a bike (without ridiculous amounts of taking it apart) and I won't do the roof rack because of the obvious mileage loss....

I have a 4 door truck for road trips, and if I go solo I will take the wagon for the gas savings. But if I have 2 people i'll take the truck for convenience (it's a diesel and if I do the speedlimit I typically get 19mpg, as high as 22mpg)

But for solo road trips and riding after work having a wagon will be the cats meow. So, i'm either going to go with the new focus, or an older impreza. Since I'll never put more than one or two bikes in the back I don't need much space. And I still want 25+ mpg for my commute.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
You can fit two bikes in a Honda Fit or Golf.
with how much disassembly?

I am adverse to disassembling my bike to make it fit in the car, front tire i can deal with, but then having to take off the seat, or lower it, or also remove back tire, or pedals, etc. and I'm out.

I'd just drive my truck on the days I want to ride my bike after work, but it barely fits in the parking garage, it doesn't fit with the bike on the rack, and I work close enough to detroit that theft becomes an issue.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Simple solution: Two bike rear rack, two on top. I thought you were the smart brother...
The rack as pictured scrapes on steeps. Roof rack obscures sunroof.

Mind you, perhaps obscuring the sunroof is a good thing, right? Helps shelter from the rain.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
with how much disassembly?

I am adverse to disassembling my bike to make it fit in the car, front tire i can deal with, but then having to take off the seat, or lower it, or also remove back tire, or pedals, etc. and I'm out.

I'd just drive my truck on the days I want to ride my bike after work, but it barely fits in the parking garage, it doesn't fit with the bike on the rack, and I work close enough to detroit that theft becomes an issue.
Depends on the bike of course. I think with the Golf all you need is the front tire. I think the same goes with the Fit as I remember from somebody I have seen do it. His was a small DHR.

Now with baby seats in the car I often just put my bike in the trunk so I can leave them in and taking the wheels off really takes no time especially not with the Maxle QR on the Boxxer.