Quantcast

New V10 shots

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
I'd like to see more videos and photos of riders testing their equipments before start the race season.

We see a lot of this stuff on supercross. Before AMA supercross starts, we see a lot of videos and photos of riders and their new equipments.

Downhill is always top secret, I really don't understand.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
OMFG! I really want to fvck that bicycle right now!!!111!!

Come on freaks.

You like a bike or you don't like a bike.

Stop saying you want to have sex with a bike/get sexually aroused by bikes.

It's just weird.
:thumb:

Thank you.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
about 95% of the information regarding any kind of engineering coming out of about 95% of the people on this website is not accurate. they just spew info that some cook told them. someone was probably talking about maximizing weld area to maximize the strength of the joint, and this guy just thought that hey, welds must be stronger than the material around them. let's just throw welds all over and call it a day.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
.... so what your saying Beavers, is that I shouldn't have just started drawing a nice stack of dimes across my entire frame, fork, crankset, pedals, stem and bars?!?

!(*@&!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I meant gussets above and under the T/T, D/T and H/T joint as well as a gusset above S/T and T/T joint.
So, no one really knows...?
Is it lack of technology? Economy? Anything else?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Do you want them to glue the gussets on there, rivet them, or weld them? They aren't going to stay in place and transfer load between two load bearing members without being attached.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Wait... so frango- reading this post and your last post, it sounds like you're wondering why santa cruz doesn't hyrdoform their gussests on... I wasn't aware you could use hydroforming to attach two pieces of metal together?

emo

Chimp
Jan 30, 2009
Melbs, Australia
Wait... so frango- reading this post and your last post, it sounds like you're wondering why santa cruz doesn't hyrdoform their gussests on... I wasn't aware you could use hydroforming to attach two pieces of metal together?
Isnt he talking about increasing the thinkness of the tubing where the guesset would have been to eliminate the need for a gusset like they do on BMX frames?

http://www.flybikesbmx.com/image/campillo*-*images*-*details*-*plano-en.jpg

Fly Bikes calls it offset thickness tubing.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I was under the impression that a gusset was there to help strengthen a welded joint. I would think (in my not engineer brain) that increasing the thickness of tubing where a gusset normally would be wouldn't help strengthen the joint like a regular gusset would.

I could be 100% wrong on this as I am about the farthest from an expert at frame design possible.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Isnt he talking about increasing the thinkness of the tubing where the guesset would have been to eliminate the need for a gusset like they do on BMX frames?

http://www.flybikesbmx.com/image/campillo*-*images*-*details*-*plano-en.jpg

The only way to do this on a hydroformed frame would be to start with a thicker raw material an remove %99 of the material leaving a heavier wall thickness around the desired areas(youd have to have REALLY graduial transitions) the only way i can think of doing this is either by machining(tool marks would leave stress raisers) or chemically etching (hard to be precise)either way would be hooooogly expensive.An it would most likley play havoc with the plastic deformation of the material under the deformation process.
So what you would most likley end up with is a more expensive frame thats actually weaker than a one with conventional gussets.
Well thats from my basic knowledge of hydroforming:redface:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Maybe it's because my english is far from being perfect.
What I meant by non-welded gussets (hydro- or pressformed gussets) is this (pics below).
As far as I know you can achieve increase of stiffness in the area decreasing weight and heat stress at the same time.
Hydroforming was created by Taiwanese company Kinesis. Many bicycle companies started to use this technology with great results.
Apart from technical advantages, non-welded gussets look better, for me.

Attachments

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Maybe it's because my english is far from being perfect.
What I meant by non-welded gussets (hydro- or pressformed gussets) is this (pics below).
As far as I know you can achieve increase of stiffness in the area decreasing weight and heat stress at the same time.
Hydroforming was created by Taiwanese company Kinesis. Many bicycle companies started to use this technology with great results.
Apart from technical advantages, non-welded gussets look better, for me.
Oh i thought you ment "localised reinforcment" the manupulation shown in your pics is basically fancy tube flairing(imo)on the Giant pictured its even shaped to mimic a weld on gusset.... it will increse stiffness an increase weld area if done properly...i dont know about decreasing weight as the tube will have to have thicker butting in the area thats getting formed,which will leave extra material in areas its not needed. A well placed weld on gusset can be made the precise size needed an reinforce only high stress areas.
Mind you im not fully up to date on the latest butting tech so i could be wrong.
Oh an i very much doubt that Kinesis created hydroforming......companys like Intense have been doing it for years an years an god knows how long its been around in the automotive industry an aerospace.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
"offset thickness tubing"....:lighten:

That's brilliant. If only tubing manufacturers had thought of that instead of butting when they came up with it 40 years ago.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
What's even funnier than that is their infographic showing you the areas that are thicker. I wish all MTB frame manufacturers spent more time marketing the wall thicknesses than the actual geometry or axle path. We all know wall thicknesses win races.