Quantcast

New Virus, this one is bad. (new_price.zip)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
New Virus, this one is bad. (new_price.zip)

Our office has just been hit by a new virus... we've been getting these emails all day:

It comes with a SUBJ: Price

The BODY: new price

Attachment: newprice.zip

Bagle Variant Exacts a 'Price' with Infected Zip Files
eWeek.com | August 9, 2004 | Dennis Fisher

Another variant of the ubiquitous Bagle worm is now making its way across the Internet, flooding in-boxes with infected Zip files. The newest member of the Bagle family, named Bagle.AQ, arrives via an e-mail message with a spoofed sending address and no subject line. The only text in the message body is typically one or two words, either "price" or "new price."

The name of the infected Zip file that accompanies the message is some variation on that theme as well. The files often are named Price.zip or New_price.zip, and may have a number appended to the end of the file name.

Bagle.AQ first appeared Monday and began circulating in earnest in the early afternoon Eastern time. Some users reported getting as many as 100 infected messages in an hour. Virus researchers said they first began seeing Bagle.AQ at about 8 a.m. Monday and have been seeing thousands of copies an hour.

If a user opens the Zip file with an application such as Windows Internet Explorer that is not a standalone Zip file handler, the user will see an HTML file that contains exploit code. The file will then execute an included .exe file, which is a Trojan, according to McAfee Inc.'s analysis. The Trojan then connects to a number of remote sites to download the actual viral code.

This new variant is one of the few worms or viruses known to download its viral payload remotely after it is already resident on a PC. It is not until the code is actually pulled down by the Trojan that Bagle.AQ begins trying to replicate itself by sending out e-mails.

Antivirus experts say the worm picked up a lot of momentum early Monday thanks to an aggressive spamming and seeding scheme employed by its author. They expect the worm to lose steam as time goes on and more and more of the remote servers hosting the viral code are shut down.

Vinny Gullotto, vice president of the AVERT team at McAfee in Santa Clara, Calif., said experts have closed down about half of the servers so far. Gullotto added that the worm uses a piece of JavaScript code that appears to be nearly three years old.

The worm also is capable of bypassing some file filters and outbound firewall protections, said Sam Curry, vice president of the eTrust security division at Computer Associates International Inc. in Islandia, N.Y. Because it can inject itself into the Explorer process space, the worm's outgoing traffic will appear legitimate to most firewalls.

One sign of infection is that both TCP and UDP ports 2480 will be open on compromised machines.

Curry said CA has rated Bagle.AQ as a medium risk at this point, but will almost certainly up it to a high risk by the end of the day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Our email server at work blocks all attachments that are not zipped. Now they have also blocked zip files. Pretty much shut everything down.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yep, at work now if we wanna recieve certain types of attachments we have to get special permission.

At home if you get a virus you deserve it...

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
Because some people are complete idiots, I got a call at the office today from one of the users

"I have an e-mail here thats from me to me but I didn't send it, should I open it?"

At least she had the common sense to ask before opening it, but she should still stop breathing, she's wasting oxygen.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I've gotten 4 of them today. 2 were from company salespeople.

So, what does this virus actually do, besides send out more emails?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
pixelninja said:
I've gotten 4 of them today. 2 were from company salespeople.

So, what does this virus actually do, besides send out more emails?
1. The ZIP file contains PRICE.EXE and PRICE.HTML. The HTML file contains exploit code which, on vulnerable systems, may automatically run the EXE file which is a downloader trojan. The downloader trojan then contacts a large number of remote websites to retrieve the virus itself.

2. The virus copies itself into the Windows System directory as _dll.exe and WINdirect.exe

Note: Some vendors have reported WINDLL.exe will be copied to the above directory; however, NSD engineers have not seen the file and believe it may be a hold over from past Bagle variations.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
N8 said:
1. The ZIP file contains PRICE.EXE and PRICE.HTML. The HTML file contains exploit code which, on vulnerable systems, may automatically run the EXE file which is a downloader trojan. The downloader trojan then contacts a large number of remote websites to retrieve the virus itself.

2. The virus copies itself into the Windows System directory as _dll.exe and WINdirect.exe

Note: Some vendors have reported WINDLL.exe will be copied to the above directory; however, NSD engineers have not seen the file and believe it may be a hold over from past Bagle variations.
ok....and then what? After step #2, what does the virus actually do to your computer? Delete system files? Graphic files? Any files?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
pixelninja said:
ok....and then what? After step #2, what does the virus actually do to your computer? Delete system files? Graphic files? Any files?

Best I gather is the Trojan's main function is to download and execute WORM_BAGLE.AC on infected systems from a long list of URLs. It also attempts to terminate different antivirus and security applications.

J

JRB

I have a Trojan I can not get rid of at home. Norton AV won't run either. Uninstall, reinstall. No dice. I hate those little bitches that write viruses. If anyone ever says, "I write viruses for fun" I am so kicking their ass. I am gonna to buy a new copy of XP Pro and start all over. I will prevail over these punk ass kids. They suck. :mumble:

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
that virus gets through virus protection software because most of them can't scan ZIP files. i got it on our network - it is benign for the most part - made google not work - and just generally made my laptop act all skeezy.