Quantcast

New wheels and New brakes but which ones?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
So after my 219s got trashes its time for new wheels. My HFX9s also are wearing out. Im sure its just the pads but they never stopped very welll in the first place. I want to build some nice wheels that stay around 1k grams per wheel if possible but are still strong. What would you suggest with what hubs? Price isnt really an issue due to shop discount. Also are hope mm4 worth the extra cash or should I just go ahead and get Hayes Mag or Shimano XTDH?

Tell me what you think I dont know much about rims and hubs...

note: if I got XT DH id get gooridge lines and those RED pads or whatever that ive been hearing about.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
avid juicey sevens 6inch.
excellent moderation, awesome braking power, you can service them in your sleep- the avid bleed kit is ridiculously easy to use. amazing adjustment capabilities and pad wear adjustment.

and snazzy lookin.

:thumb:

hopes suck :devil: ;)

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
well first lets hear about what riding youre gonna be doing...
that will determine what type of rims youll probly need to run...and also maybe shed some more light on the brake issue as well...
but for brakes, anything from xc to dh...im gonna have to go with the hopes...they just feel great and stop really well...you wont be disspointed...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yeah, 219s are pretty crappy, not welded. 519s are better, but they might not be a big enough increase in strength.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Lots of DH racing and freeriding when not DHing. I want light stuff that is still strong. Im only 135ibs(15 year old beef for ya) and pretty smooth. I have a gemini 900 with tons of stuff on it. What about the AVID juicy 7 8in are those available yet? Ill be going to 2 norba races and whistler this summer so these things need to hold up unlike my 219s.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
Originally posted by biker3
What about the AVID juicy 7 8in are those available yet?
if you're only 135lbs, the 6inchers are gonna stop you just fine. i often ride with just one finger on the levers. if you think you need more, there are three sizes out. 160mm, 185mm, and 203mm.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Ive run XT dh brakes on my last two bikes and have been very very happy, easy to set up, almost zero maintinence, run ebc reds in th front and greens in the back, having been running shimano resin hoses but am about to buy goodridge hoses. Whatever you do dont get the shimano braided lines. they suck bad

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Brian it took you 32 minutes to say get hopes, doesnt hope desirve better from Brian HCM #1 (Brian, Hope's Cheerleader Man #1) :p :D ;)

Im an ass
Sorry, I was in the garage lifting weights. I usally work out from 7:30 - 9:00pm.

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
IMO Hopes have just sooo much more modulation than Hays, i know that they are more expencive than hays or xt's but when you see the cnc work thats gone in to them & have tried them for your self you will thank your self that you spent the extra$$$.

I think their is a thred on goodridge brake lines, do a search, its a informative read.

Everyone is going to dog me in this but what about some Atomlabs or Arrows?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Better hurry and get that thing running:)! got about 19 days til that race.

Can you get your parents to drive you out to Angel Fire for the Chile Challenge??

jh

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
For wheels - I'd get the Mavic 823(?) or whatever they are calling the replacement for the D3.1 - with King or Hadley hubs (probably Hadley, King's are great, but Hadley offers more thru-axle options)
they are tubeless rims, so you can run a DST tire or better, throw some Stan's in there and run most any tire you like - a very light combo with no pinch or puncture flats...

for brakes, I'm gonna bring down the wrath of Brian, but I really prefer Hayes brakes to the Hopes - (yes, I ride both, so save it) - I've got 8" Hayes on my RFX with Goodridge lines and RazorRock levers - perfect setup, incredible modulation and braking power...

I have Hayes with 8"f/6"r with Bonz levers on my dj Bruiser - great stopping power...

the Hayes are reliable, easy to work with, easy to find aftermarket parts and when you are in some small town in the middle of BFE, the bike shop has what you need to fix them...

I have Hopes 7"f/6" rear with Goodridge lines on my XCE - I haven't had enough time on them with the Goodridge to give a detailed report on any improvements there...but they've been on the XCE for about two years and given me nothing but problems - lack of braking power, major fade on long downhills, squealing like a stuck pig....we'll see if there is improvement with the new pads and Goodridge lines....but I'm really feeling the Hayes right now...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Okay so my sig is meant to be sarcastic but if you're considering avid products I'd seriously take a look at the mechanical discs. They stop better than hayes hydraulics, at least I think so. They may not be the best brakes on the market today but if you're only 15 you pobablly don't have $800 to spend on wheels and brakes so I'm just throwing the Avid Mechs out there as an option. They work pretty darn well, they're simple to setup and you'll never need to bleed them.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I've had two pairs of Avid Mechs on two different bikes - compared to hydros (Hayes or Hopes) - there simply is no comparison - mechs work better than V-Brakes, but not anywhere in the neighborhood of hydros

if it's a question of $, wait another month or so until you can afford hydros - it'll save you $ when you want to upgrade (again) later...

biker3

Turbo Monkey
a money issue. I work at a shop and have been saving incredible amounts of money to pimp my ride. I think Im gunna try out the Avid Juicy 7's 8in and go with hadley hubs and ex 823 rims.

thanks for the input guys!

Joel, Yeah I think im gunna be able to come out to the Chile Challenge. Whether it be Chris Crone and Woody, or my parents ILL FIND A WAY! Yeah hopefully my beast will be running smoothly by the mena race im looking forward to the duke out with ur bro.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by surfinguru
Are you sure about the 823's?

Might want to considerthe EX719's or EX729's.
the 719s are better than the 219s he destroyed, but since he said he pretty much trashed the 219s, I wouldn't do the "one step up" thing and go with the 719s, I'd go for something a little beefier, despite his weight it sounds like he is pretty hard on wheels.