Quantcast

New wireless router?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My D-link DI-624 now broke the second time. I think they will give me new one but it seems like a lot has happened since then. At the same time its no that stable and I would like something that has better range as our apartment is long. I would also love to have a router with the USB access for my USB hard drive so I can use it as a network drive.

Is there anything from D-link that does that? I had looked at the DIR-855 but it has no USB HD connection. Also looked at the Linksys WRT600N. To take full advantage of both it seems that I would also need to upgrade my wireless network adapter to use the dual band.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DIR-655 is a pretty well proven prosumer router with excellent performance (Amazon has it for cheap). If you are using in an area with lots of 2.4 GHz saturation a 802.11n with 5 GHz (855 etc) might be called for to prevent interference.

I would favor avoiding trying to do too many things with a consumer router - a lot of companies have trouble doing a bug free firmware for a regular standalone router.

All-in-one hardware tends to be overworked in little appliances like consumer routers. Get a NAS enclosure or attach the drive to and old computer and share it. If its rarely used then I guess you could go for it, but otherwise get some dedicated hardware for NAS applications.

Here is a good site for more info on routers etc:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think every body runs 2.4 here as there are tons of connections when you view available connections and we often have problems.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
5 GHz would be worth a shot then but only more expensive notebooks usually have radios built-in - you'll have to buy an adapter.

If you don't move your computer around often you can just go with powerline networking - its real world speed is usually better than wireless its more reliable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like my (fairly new) DIR-655. The firmware has an astounding number of options for a stock firmware. Signal strength is excellent, too.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I think every body runs 2.4 here as there are tons of connections when you view available connections and we often have problems.
Dunno if you tried this, but step through each of the 11 available channels and see if you get an improvement. Most routers are set to channel 6 as default, which means most everyone ends up on the same damn channel.

Start w/ channel 1 and leave it for a day, then channel 2, etc.

Also, make sure the router is high and clear and the antenna is oriented correctly. Vertically for even horizontal coverage (on the same floor), horizontally for better vertical coverage (router and comps on different floors).

I have a DI-524 that has worked really well since I switched it to channel 9.

:D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
5 GHz would be worth a shot then but only more expensive notebooks usually have radios built-in - you'll have to buy an adapter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220370
$549.99
3 Business Day Shipping $11.99

Model
Brand ASUS
Model Eee PC 1000H 80G – Fine Ebony
Part# EEEPC1000H-BK009X
General
Color Fine Ebony
Operating System Windows XP Home
CPU Type Intel Atom CPU
Screen 10" WSVGA
Memory Size 1GB DDR2
Hard Disk 80GB
Graphics Card Intel UMA
Video Memory shared memory
Battery Life 7.5 hours
Dimensions 10.47" x 7.53" x 1.12-1.50"
Weight 3.2 lbs.
Other Features Easy to Learn, Work, and Play
7.5 hour battery life allows for "One Day Computing"
Travel light, weighting only 3.2 lbs.
Drop tested, Shock-Proof design
Wireless 802.11b/g/n connectivity
Connect with friend with built-in Camera
CPU
CPU Type Intel Atom
Chipset
Chipset Intel Mobile Chipset
Display
Screen Size 10.0"
Wide Screen Support Yes
LCD Features TFT
Display Type Wide SVGA
Resolution 1024 x 600
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows XP Home
Graphics
GPU/VPU Integrated Graphics
Video Memory Shared system memory
Graphic Type Integrated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 80GB
Memory
Memory 1GB
Communications
LAN 10/100Mbps
WLAN 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Bluetooth Yes
Ports
USB 3
Video Port 1 x VGA
Audio Ports Audio Jack - Out (3.5mm)
Audio Jack - In (3.5mm)
Audio
Audio Hi-Definition Audio CODEC
Digital Array Mic
Speaker Built-in Stereo Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader MMC/SD(SDHC)
Webcam 1.3MP
Power
AC Adapter AC Adapter Output: 12V, 3A
AC Adapter Input: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz universal
Battery 6-cell lithium ion
Battery Life 7.5 hours
Physical spec
Dimensions 10.47" x 7.53" x 1.12-1.50"
Weight 3.2 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 1 year limited
Labor 1 year limited

:banana:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
WLAN 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
That is 2.4 GHz :crazy:

If it supports 802.11a then it will support 802.11n at 5GHz, but otherwise its just 2.4GHz 802.11n. Dual radio (2.4 + 5 GHz) wifi adapters cost more so most of the time its more expensive equipment.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That is 2.4 GHz :crazy:

If it supports 802.11a then it will support 802.11n at 5GHz, but otherwise its just 2.4GHz 802.11n. Dual radio (2.4 + 5 GHz) wifi adapters cost more so most of the time its more expensive equipment.

Neato.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
. I would also love to have a router with the USB access for my USB hard drive so I can use it as a network drive.
there are routers w/ a usb connection to use for a network drive? WD's network HD solution isnt a great one, so itll be nice to have another option

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dunno if you tried this, but step through each of the 11 available channels and see if you get an improvement. Most routers are set to channel 6 as default, which means most everyone ends up on the same damn channel.

Start w/ channel 1 and leave it for a day, then channel 2, etc.

Also, make sure the router is high and clear and the antenna is oriented correctly. Vertically for even horizontal coverage (on the same floor), horizontally for better vertical coverage (router and comps on different floors).

I have a DI-524 that has worked really well since I switched it to channel 9.

:D
Good advice but I will still try to get a newer product as it has failed twice now. Dlink has been really friendly though regarding replacement.

IH8Rice as I wrote I have purchased a NAS so I have no use for the USB connection on the router.

Signals

Chimp
Jun 2, 2007
Ohio
On other note, what is everyones opinion for an affordable wireless router that can reach like 4-5 houses, right now I have crapOLA
I mean Motorola, close enough right?
but the signal doesnt really reach, which totally blows.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Meh, getting a wireless G signal into multiple houses reliably (with consumer equipment) isn't exactly a perfect science. It's going to vary a lot depending on how the houses are laid out, how far apart they are, construction of the walls, what rooms inside the house they need to reach and whether there are windows...

I'd be inclined to buy a wireless N router for the better signal strength through walls. It would require all 4-5 houses to be N compatible, though. Linksys WRT54GL or GS routers are pretty cheap (~$50) and can have a third party firmware tossed on them to act as repeaters. Maybe buy two of those and space 'em out as best you can?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Talked to Dlink today and I can upgrade so I will go with the 855.

Got my NAS today but no router so I can not test it but a nice little product. Also took home a laptop a friend of mine had sent me but never used so now I will bring some life into it. HP nc8430 and it for sure better than +5 year old lap tops we have at the moment.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dlink has been a little slow with the RMA process but I got on the phone with a supervisor. The 855 is not sold due to problems at the moment so I ended up with the 655 which I am sure will be fine.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Only problem I've had with mine is the "Smart QoS Engine" is too smart for its own good, and likes to severely curtail the download speeds of my laptop. Desktop (hardwired) does fine in these situations, but if you bandwidth test the laptop (WiFi) I was getting ~300kbps vs. 6.5Mbps on my desktop.

Turning it off fixes the situation instantly. I plan on troubleshooting it a little more since I'd like it to manage QoS if possible, but just be aware of it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Let us know if you find any solutions. Do you use XP or Dlink software to connect to the router?

On my old DI-624 i got 5Mbps and I get almost 10Mbps with a cable plus especially torrents made it unstable. This is why I like the Synology NAS as it can download torrents too so I can shut down my computer plus download via a cable. Down loading this weekend was like night and day with steady speed around +500.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I never use third party applications to connect to the network. The less software running, the better.