Quantcast

new xtr will be 4/104 (gram counters lets celebrate)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili

according to bicycle retailer new shimano xtr (m970) will use standard 4/104 chainrings, and will also be around 50g lighter than current xtr m960

which in turn means around 100g less than current XT

now lets just hope they dont end up costing like 1000usd for the crankset

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
manhattanprjkt83 said:
my prayers have been answered, keep an eye out on the buy and sell for a cheap pair of xt's ;)

ok since you seem to have a good connection going with the main man, why dont you slip in a mention of a sub 800 retail price while youre at it?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
manhattanprjkt83 said:
my prayers have been answered, keep an eye out on the buy and sell for a cheap pair of xt's ;)
Or you could just put lighter rings on the XTs.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Jm_ said:

supposedly the weight was saved on the bb/crank interface

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002611973 said:
Shimano’s Hollowtech II cranks are for many riders the best cranks bar none, even if they are the only Shimano equipment they ride. For ’07 the company improved the design further. It got rid of the pinch-bolt on the end of the left crank arm and tapered the end of the bottom bracket axle. The left crank is now bolted on and a threaded adjusting nut system on the inside of the arm adjusts bearing play. The new system saves weight—about 40 to 50 grams. More importantly, it allows a rider to micro-adjust bearing play for better feel and longer bearing life.
i dont think the new rings save much weight. remember theyre going to 4/104 and the current ones have BCD that are mean the bare minimum of material is being used, Ti is heavier than Al too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Jm_ said:
orrrrrrrr not, i never could get into the arms that much...they just arent sleek...I mean the function perfectly but i have been wanting to run the current xtr's in there place...

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ahh you might want to look at that outer ring a little closer. it looks like its part of the arm to me. in which case would make it even more useless to the dh crowd and very expensiveto replace the outer ring

J

J5ive

Anyone else think they look like the old XTR's after your foot had rubbed all the **** off?

Anyways, same wholsale price here in australia as old model! Should rrp same!

xc skier

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Sir_Crackien said:
ahh you might want to look at that outer ring a little closer. it looks like its part of the arm to me. in which case would make it even more useless to the dh crowd and very expensiveto replace the outer ring
No it's not. You can see it better from this image

J

J5ive

No pinch bolts- is it going to come loose like everything else that doesnt use pinch bolts?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
xc skier said:
No it's not. You can see it better from this image
No, I think he's right. Outer ring is part of the spider and it surely looks like the spider is part of the arm. Doesn't make sense, of course, but with those flanges running up against arm - it looks one piece. Hope not. Actually, I'm not happy with the outer ring being part of the spider either. They should make a double ring version. That would be cool!
I should also drink less, then maybe I could see what you see. :rofl:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
BuddhaRoadkill said:
No, I think he's right. Outer ring is part of the spider and it surely looks like the spider is part of the arm. Doesn't make sense, of course, but with those flanges running up against arm - it looks one piece. Hope not. Actually, I'm not happy with the outer ring being part of the spider either. They should make a double ring version. That would be cool!
I should also drink less, then maybe I could see what you see. :rofl:

i dont know about that, its a bit unclear from the picture but i can understand what youre saying, the article says

We actually mold and machine shifting ramps into the carbon fiber. The carbon makes the rings much stiffer, which contributes to their durability, and it is smoother and much quieter then all metal rings,” he added. A new nickel coating for the outer chainring should provide up to four times longer life over the current ring, and unlike current XTR, M970’s chainrings will fit XT and LX cranks.
is it just me or do you guys also go "oh yea talk durrty to me" when you read "carbon titanium rings bla bla"

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I know the pinch bolt thing creates a lighter weight design, but when you are an incompetent mechanic like myself, sometimes things can go array.
I had my bike and wifes on trailer hitch rack on the way to otter...I had known my wifes XTR arm was missing the lock cap on the cranks, but did not think anything of it. When I arrived at otter I went to pull wifes bike off rack to go ride around and find an RV spot-the crank was gone, so someone in central cali has a minty XTR arm with pedal ;)
SHimano was kind enough to hook a brother up with a replacement though-but I do get annoyed with the pinch/cap thing-but someday maybe I will figure out how to tighten and assemble everything correctly ;)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
stiksandstones said:
I know the pinch bolt thing creates a lighter weight design, but when you are an incompetent mechanic like myself, sometimes things can go array.
I had my bike and wifes on trailer hitch rack on the way to otter...I had known my wifes XTR arm was missing the lock cap on the cranks, but did not think anything of it. When I arrived at otter I went to pull wifes bike off rack to go ride around and find an RV spot-the crank was gone, so someone in central cali has a minty XTR arm with pedal ;)
SHimano was kind enough to hook a brother up with a replacement though-but I do get annoyed with the pinch/cap thing-but someday maybe I will figure out how to tighten and assemble everything correctly ;)

you has-been you

:blah:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
stiksandstones said:
Mine did the same thing, but the weird thing was everything was properly tightened. Having your crank arm fall off at the top of Mammoth is no fun.

J

J5ive

For the crank arm to fall off- even without the end cap, there must be something wrong with the spacing. I think a lot of people found this out the hard way with saint cranks, just because the end cap has enough axle to thread into doesn't mean theres enough axle for the crank to interface right. If you have a close look at these cranks the splines turn into a flat surface on both the arm and the axle. If there is not enough axle sticking out, the flat of the crank arm does up against some splines instead of flat surface. Installed correctly the flat on flat surface should be bloody grippy, just like a stem on a steerer. And the groves prevent rotation.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't think that was the issue. The issue was I was riding XTR cranks for DH at Mammoth.

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
I read that the new bb-crank interface will require 2 new tools for tightening. They saved the weight from getting rid of the pinch bolts. Xtr cranks for dh is kinda scary...