Quantcast

Newb Question: Carrying enough water?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, to date, since buying my road bike, I have not had the thing out on a ride more than about 20-25 miles. Pathetic I know, but Ive been busy, was crappy weather and I can come up with more excuses if you'd like. Oh, and I keep running into a problem.

I have only two water bottles on my bike. Ideally I like to fill one with gatorade and the other with water and kind of switch things up. But either way I always run out. I know that camelbacks (or Ive been told anyway) suck for road bikes because they hurt your back, are heavy, etc.. so how do I carry enough water to ride 50-60 miles?

Do you guys pre arrange stop points to get more? Carry some other type of hydration pack?!?@?@?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
You could always wear a "GASP" camelbak!

Of course that means the road snobs will look down on you, but meh who cares?

Edit: Oops, you said camel back. I have used one before and it was not too bad on the back. Not ideal mind you, but not bad.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just use a camelback. I wouldn't worry about back issues unless you already have problems, it has never bothered me on the road even though the MTB gives me problems regardless of the camelback.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, thanks, I'll just give it a go w/ the camelback then. If it sucks I'll turn around and go home. Then the next time Ill map out a route that takes me by a store.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have a behind the seat mount (profile designs) that holds two bottles. Four bottles only last for a couple of hours in the summer so I have a few stops at a park for water and always ride a route that has a convenience store to refill with some gatorade. One of the things I like about riding on the road is not having a camelbak strapped to my back.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
"One of the things I like about riding on the road is not having a camelbak strapped to my back."

This is true, feel the breeze! You feel faster too!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well, thanks, I'll just give it a go w/ the camelback then. If it sucks I'll turn around and go home. Then the next time Ill map out a route that takes me by a store.
During my 20 mile (40 roundtrip) commute into the city everyday, I use my camelback...now it's not Gnarsville hot here in teh PNW so I can get away with filling it only about a quarter of the way...But I also pack in all my work clothes for the day so the pack prolly weighs in around 12-15 lbs. when all is said and done. Doesn't really bother me all that much...sometimes my trapezius and delts get a little tired under a heavier load....but it works...:monkey:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah try to plan a route where there is water/sports drinks along the way - maybe food too so you don't have to carry as much. Just about any gas station will have gatorade and trail mix or something.

Also, I've found that diluted gatorade works better for me than one bottle at full strength and one with water. A steady slow drip keeps me topped off and helps me avoid the sugar rushes and crashes. (I don't eat or drink much sugary stuff off the bike, so I think the full strength stuff impacts me more.)

An old roadie tip is to dilute a can of coke with water. Doesn't sound tasty but it's not bad. It flattens the soda, so you get sugar and caffeine in a slightly lower dose and without the carbonation. I have beaten down many a bonk with some of that and a snicker's bar.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Also, I've found that diluted gatorade works better for me than one bottle at full strength and one with water. A steady slow drip keeps me topped off and helps me avoid the sugar rushes and crashes.
Yep, all my bottles are 1/2 strength gatorade unless I have to stop at a water fountain. Plus, gatorade doesn't quench my thrist like plain water so I drink more.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
Ive carried extra bottles in the center pocket of my jersey before. Kind of a pain, but it works.

like others have suggested plan a route that stops at a park or conv. store.

matt

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, with my new hardtail, I have been avoiding using a Camelbak. Won't be doing this in the summer but the temps now are relatively cool.

I am using two large water bottles, and I think I have about 50 oz of water with me.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Ive carried extra bottles in the center pocket of my jersey before. Kind of a pain, but it works.

like others have suggested plan a route that stops at a park or conv. store.

matt
I have been carrying two in my outer pockets and two on the bike. I plan to get an Aquarack though. Then I will get grief from Wumpus, because I told him how ghey they are.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
2 water bottles can usually last me 50 miles, but if not I stop somewhere and fill up. Not a big deal for me as all my loops pass gas stations/mini marts at some point.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
for me, 2 bottles normally is enough on a 40-50 miler. On longer rides or super hot days I'll find a store

note: I prefer heed or cytomax over gatorade. You can put a scoop in a ziploc and just need to find water when you stop.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you sweat at the minimum of a liter(quart)/hr (1 to 3 liters(quarts)/hr is normal) and you only drink two water bottles(48oz) that leaves you at a deficit of 48oz.

48oz=3pints
1 pint=1lb

If you weigh 170lbs, that is nearly a 2% weight loss.

Body Water Lost -- Symptoms

1% -- Few symptoms or signs of any thirst present; however, there is a marked reduction in VO2 max.
2% -- Beginning to feel thirsty; loss of endurance capacity and appetite.
3% -- Dry mouth; performance impaired.
4% -- Increased effort for exercise, impatience, apathy, vague discomfort, loss of appetite, muscle cramps.
5% -- Difficulty concentrating, increased pulse and breathing, slowing of pace.
6-7% -- Further impairment of temperature regulation, higher pulse and breathing, flushed skin, sleepiness, tingling, stumbling, headache.
8-9% -- Dizziness, labored breathing, mental confusion, further weakness.
10% -- Muscle spasms, loss of balance, swelling of tongue.
11% -- Heat Exhaustion, delirium, stroke, difficulty swallowing; death can occur.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I probably go through at least 6 large bottles on a 50 mile ride. Out here that usually includes a fair amount of climbing, but it's rarely hotter than 70-75 degrees. And I drink a lot of water off the bike too. To each his own I guess, but over the years I've realized that proper hydration is an easy way to increase performance and help with recovery.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I probably go through at least 6 large bottles on a 50 mile ride. Out here that usually includes a fair amount of climbing, but it's rarely hotter than 70-75 degrees. And I drink a lot of water off the bike too. To each his own I guess, but over the years I've realized that proper hydration is an easy way to increase performance and help with recovery.
Everyone must be different. I'm very conscious of hydration but even under the best circumstances I would have problems absorbing much more than 36oz/hour. Under a hard effort that would probably drop closer to 24oz. I've pretty much accepted that I will lose some hydration on really long rides but if I start out properly hydrated I've never felt I had a problem except under the most grueling heat.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
On longer rides I fill my two water bottles with cytomax and use small small Camelbak "classic" for water. It is light and aero enough I hardly notice it's there. Like this:

As to road-snobs looking down their nose at me, I could give a crap.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im not a "roadie" or a "liberal" by any stretch. My road bike now has a WTB saddle, time Atac pedals and my legs are hairy as ever. Im an MTBer who happens to also own a road bike :biggrin: Im not some faggot roadie. :biggrin:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Im not a "roadie" or a "liberal" by any stretch. My road bike now has a WTB saddle, time Atac pedals and my legs are hairy as ever. Im an MTBer who happens to also own a road bike :biggrin: Im not some faggot roadie. :biggrin:
Congrats. You are a Rider.

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
You either have to have some planned place(s) to stop to fill up, or you bring more water via a camelbak. Those are really the only options I've been able to come up with. I guess you could snap on an extra water bottle cage (or 2) to the back of your seatpost.

As a mountain biker also, I have no problem carrying a camelbak. Would I rather not? Yes. Does it bother me? Not really. You can get some low profile systems now that are better. Running out of water can really be a show stopper!

... Brad

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I did a pretty big ride the other day.....got up to about 90 degrees and I got scorched even though I lathered up with sunscreen. I did the gatorade thing, mixing it in with the water and that worked out well. Thanks for the tip there.
I actually did end up running out of fluids at one point and had to stop at a church and fill up my water bottles from the spigot on the side of the building...but no big deal.
I did some fine tuning adjustments with my bars and saddle and that really helped me out alot also, though by about mile 40 my back and wrists were both aching pretty bad, but I think I just need more time on the thing. Pretty fun though.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
though by about mile 40 my back and wrists were both aching pretty bad, but I think I just need more time on the thing. Pretty fun though.
Your saddle may be too high, your bars bars may too low or at the wrong angle. I can see your back aching as you get used to the riding position but wrist pain may be a sign that you need to make adjustments to your fit. Roadie.