Quantcast

Newbie Here!!

piggy4

Chimp
Mar 29, 2005
Guelph, Ontario
Hi,

I would like to take up mountain biking because I am moving to Banff. I have never done it before.
I am a petit girl, 5'4", 105 lbs...
I need advice on what kind of bike I should buy etc...
I can only afford a bike around the $600 range...any ideas?

Thank you

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Everyone has different opinions of the subject of what a new rider should buy, but my advice would be to get some sort of full-suspension bike with about 4" of travel in both the front and the rear. Full suspension is much easier to ride and gives a new rider much more confidence than a hardtail...and when you're new to the sport, having a fun, positive experience is key! Most beginners end up on a hardtail-type bike because they are cheaper...that's true, but let's just say you buy a hardtail and you end up hating mountain biking (I'm sure you won't)...there's very little resale value in a used hardtail. Most people want full-suspension.

Here's my 2-cents. In the $600 range, you'll be hard-pressed to find a new full-suspension bike...but there are plenty of good, used bikes out there. Enlist the help of a friend who's knowledgable about bikes to help you search. There's a good classified section here on RM and there's other places like mtbr.com, pinkbike.com, and Ebay where you'll find lots of used bikes for sale.

So there you go. If you need any help, let us know! Most all of us RM Hunnies will be glad to help get more chicks into riding! :)

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Welcome, and all of that fun congratulatory stuff.

If you don't mind getting a wee bit hurt, going really fast, getting dirt under your nails, and sounding like an adrenaline freak to your friends.... this is a great sport!

Plus you get to meet all sorts of cool people!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Welcome! I agree with dhjill...a full suspension bike would probably be the best way to go. You could look at used bikes as well in our Buy/Sell Forum. You're probably going to need a small (we're the same height). I personally have a Cannondale Jekyll for my XC (race) bike, a K2 Disco Monkey for my fun/free-ride bike and a couple of others kicking around.

Good luck to you. Make sure you get a good helmet and some comfy bike shorts too...they are definately a necessity. Let us know if you need any more help and welcome to the :monkey:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think a brand new hardtail from a reputable store is the best option.

Firstly buying a new bike from a good shop (no discounters) will allow you to get the right fit, good info, and most importantly, some kind of deal on tune-ups and repairs. My shop gives free lifetime tuneups, for example.

Buying an used bike is not a bad idea, if you know how to work on it. The basic repairs are not too hard, but it will cost you $20 every time you go in for a fix.

I also think a hardtail is the most versatile bike. It is efficient on the road and can take the abuse off-road. It will be lighter and work better than a full-suspension bike of the same cost. You will be forced to learn how to handle a bike better, but I think it is a positive as opposed to having suspension fix your handling mistakes.

I like the Specialized Women's Rockhopper. It is about $500-530, and it has a decent entry-level spec, and a good fit for many women. I think that is an important feature, getting a woman's bike, which has a shorter reach to accommodate a typical women's build. Don't get forced onto a men's bike.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
I would agree with sanjuro's opinion. I think getting a new hard tail with a good parts group would be a better option for a first bike. It takes less maintenance than a used bike would and hard tails allow you to learn good handling of the bike instead of relying on the suspension to do the work for you. Thus as you get into the sport more and are able to get a full suspension it will make you that much better of a rider.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Just wanted to welcome you to the wonderful world of bicycling.

I personally think you should look for a new bike<not someone elses problems>. You ride it and get a good sense for mountain biking. Once you get addicted you can always sell that bike and find something full suspension. For $600 you can get a great hardtail with great parts, or a enrty level Dual suspension with ok parts. In the long run the Hardtail will out last the full suspension. Take a look at Giant I believe the model is the rincon.. it comes in plenty of sizes and has gotten tremendous reviews. Kona also makes some great entry level bikes. For reviews/prices of bikes check out MTBR.com. its a handy site to know. anyways enjoy and good luck . If you have any questions just ask <PM>

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
MudGrrl said:
and along the same 'get comfortable bike shorts' line
....small but kinda crucial piece of advice:

no underwear with bikey shorts.

there. I said it.
ummm yeah what she said.... ouchie

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
hooples3 said:
I personally think you should look for a new bike<not someone elses problems>. <PM>
Like a used car, not every used bike is guaranteed to have problems. There are lots of good, used bikes out there that may need very little, if anything, to be a great bike for you. I see bikes get sold all the time that have only had a few rides on them.

Like I said, everyone has a different opinion on what bike a new rider should start out on. I've been teaching women's clinics for years for all levels beginner through advanced, and I can tell you that when you are brand new, having confidence and being comfortable are two key components. I've found the newer riders in my beginner clinics progess faster on a full-suspension type bike. Yes, a hardtail has it's advantages and it does help hone your skills, but you can become just as skilled on a bike with a little travel.

What you might want to do is head to your local bike shop and just test ride a few bikes in the parking lot. Try a hardtail and a full-suspension bike and see what feels more comfortable. It doesn't mean you have to walk out of the shop with one of the bikes you buy, but you'll at least get a feel for what feels comfortable and best for you. If you feel intimidated going to a shop by yourself...take a friend with you.

Bottom line is do your research (like you have already started just by asking) and buy what feels right for you. We can all give you our opinion, but there's really no right or wrong answer.

Oh, and on the shorts...like TreeSaw and Mudgrrl said, buy a comfy pair of bike shorts. When I first started riding, I thought I could get away with not wearing them. WRONG! I went for one ride and basically couldn't sit right for a week! :p

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
dhjill said:
Like a used car, not every used bike is guaranteed to have problems. There are lots of good, used bikes out there that may need very little, if anything, to be a great bike for you. I see bikes get sold all the time that have only had a few rides on them.

Like I said, everyone has a different opinion on what bike a new rider should start out on. I've been teaching women's clinics for years for all levels beginner through advanced, and I can tell you that when you are brand new, having confidence and being comfortable are two key components. I've found the newer riders in my beginner clinics progess faster on a full-suspension type bike. Yes, a hardtail has it's advantages and it does help hone your skills, but you can become just as skilled on a bike with a little travel.

What you might want to do is head to your local bike shop and just test ride a few bikes in the parking lot. Try a hardtail and a full-suspension bike and see what feels more comfortable. It doesn't mean you have to walk out of the shop with one of the bikes you buy, but you'll at least get a feel for what feels comfortable and best for you. If you feel intimidated going to a shop by yourself...take a friend with you.

Bottom line is do your research (like you have already started just by asking) and buy what feels right for you. We can all give you our opinion, but there's really no right or wrong answer.

Oh, and on the shorts...like TreeSaw and Mudgrrl said, buy a comfy pair of bike shorts. When I first started riding, I thought I could get away with not wearing them. WRONG! I went for one ride and basically couldn't sit right for a week! :p
First off, welcom to the wonderful world of bikes!
I'm going to agree with Jill on the used bike thing. The components on a used bike with say XT, if their in decent shape, are going to last a heck of a lot longer than a new bike speced with tektro brakes and an Alivio group. That stuff is junk and it wear out fast and your back to the bike shop anyways. Usually the best source for used bikes is the for sale boards on a tight knit internet board. There's a bit more accountability if you try and screw someone over, than say ebay. I turn almost all of my bikes over every year. The DH/freeride type bikes I usually sell here. My XC bikes or anything else, I post on the used boards at my local shop. THere are good deals to be found in the used bike department if you know what to look for. I wouldn't totally discount buying a used bike. Heck, I sold my '04 FRS Stumpjumper Expert last fall for $1200. It had hardly any rides on it, and was in pristine condition. There are good deals to be found that will get you a better bike that will last longer. Also, if your worried that a used bike would create more trips to the bike shop, take a basic maintanence class and that takes care of a lot of things people regularly take their bikes in for, shifter adjustments, brake adjustments, replacing brake pads, ect. Good luck and always feel free to bug us with questions!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should point out that an used bike could be a great value, and better assembled than a new bike. I bought a used Norco with hand built wheels, a perk you never see on a production bike.

However, buying a new bike gets you a deal on the future service. If the shops in your area only does a year of free service (or nothing), than it might be worth buying used. However, an annual tune-up costs $50-70 (which should be done more often if you ride alot), so calculate that into your costs.

The best solution is to learn how to fix your own stuff. If there are classes in your area, that is a huge positive.