Quantcast

Woos

Chimp
May 25, 2006
Kitsap, WA
Hey, everyone. I'm Woos, I just signed up about 2 minutes ago and I wanted to say hi. Hi. My fiance (Mudpuppy) recently got me into mountain biking, I like it so far. If any of you saw the pink K2 that was for sale here a couple of weeks ago, that's mine now. :D Anyhow, I'm pretty new at mountain biking, I have a BMX (Volume frame with random Haro parts off my old frame), and I kinda know how to ride it. The K2 is my first real mountain bike, and I've been riding every weekend for about a month, maybe more. I can't remember. So yeah. I'll be asking tons of questions because as boys are boys, Mudpuppy doesn't know a whole lot about making biking comfortable for the girlie types.

-Woos

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Welcome Woos! Glad you're having fun....I noticed that you're from Kitsap - whereabouts? I live in Port Orchard on the weekends and ride Banner Forest alot which is a great place with all kinds of trails.

What kind of riding are you interested in?

I don't know that riding is different for girlie types but we're here to help with whatever questions you've got!

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
redFoxx said:
Welcome Woos! Glad you're having fun....I noticed that you're from Kitsap - whereabouts? I live in Port Orchard on the weekends and ride Banner Forest alot which is a great place with all kinds of trails.

What kind of riding are you interested in?

I don't know that riding is different for girlie types but we're here to help with whatever questions you've got!
Awesome! I live in PO and Woos usually comes down to visit on weekends. We ride Banner often too. It's so nice to have someplace so close when you don't want to drive far.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
It's a small world. :)

I'm just 8 miles from Banner. What's good is that they're actively building there too. We go there if the weather looks bad elsewhere. My bf and I might have already run into you guys there.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Welcome and congrats on your new bike. I've found this forum really helpful for any questions that come to mind, and I'm sure that you will as well. I'm in Washington too! I just wish it would stop RAINING so that I can RIDE!!

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
redFoxx said:
It's a small world. :)

I'm just 8 miles from Banner. What's good is that they're actively building there too. We go there if the weather looks bad elsewhere. My bf and I might have already run into you guys there.
Probably haven't run into us yet. I just finally got enough money to build up a couple of bikes out of used parts, and the parts that were laying around. Woos, is only up to like 5 mtb rides and I've been with only my bmx for over a year so I've/we've only ridden banner 2 or 3 times lately. I used to ride it all the time and I'm sure I will start riding there often.

I'll keep an eye out for a Transition.:clue: Woos is on a rattlecan pink K2 with Shiver SC on the front and I'm on a chartreuse Endless SS. Hopefully we'll see you guys out on the trails, but we'll have to plan rides sometimes too.:)

Here's some pics of the bikes before some parts changed frames.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150002

Woos

Chimp
May 25, 2006
Kitsap, WA
Thanks guys for being so awesome :D Foxx, I live up north with my parents most of the time, but I spend weekends in PO with Mudpuppy. We should definately hook up some time and ride.

Tuff*Stuff

Chimp
Jun 23, 2003
North Bend
Welcome and make sure to check out the PNW forum as well.

My Hubby (Matt) 66 and I (Heather) will back out to play very soon. I am pregnant right now and was due back on 5/17/06 so I am waiting for my new Mud Hunny (Baby Girl) before I can hit the dirt again.

I look forward to seeing you on the trails.

Woos

Chimp
May 25, 2006
Kitsap, WA
So where is the thread about the girlie shorts? My unmentionables don't have what it takes to keep my *ahem* safe on the trail.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Mudpuppy said:
Yeah, I believe she has already called you about photography.:clue:
yessir, she sent me the link to this thread in an email. I just had to offically welcome :)

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Woos said:
So where is the thread about the girlie shorts? My unmentionables don't have what it takes to keep my *ahem* safe on the trail.
Benvenuto!

re: girlie shorts
try bubblewrap.

No, not really. I already tried it. It works no better than throw pillows and duct tape.

If I'm doing DH, I'll wear some kind of canvas-ish short with close-fitting legs. Nothing really baggy. Really baggy stuff may get caught on your saddle. Beware! I sustained a really bad injury from baggy shorts getting hung up on the handlebar (you don't want to know).

Go with spandex/lycra with a good chamois. No need for unmentionables - they only get bunched up.

:)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Woos said:
get a good saddle. Women specific design, preferably. Terry makes great saddles, or the Selle Italia "Lady". girlie shorts are good, but saddles are 100x more important.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Woos said:
I don't know about that thread, but here are the basic rules for girly comfort.
1. get bike shorts with a nice chamois (brand is personal preference)
2. no undies under bike shorts
3. You'll need to experiment with saddles, wide and cushy comfort saddles are a no-no. Some gal like women specific, I like one based on seat bone width.
4. You might need to experiment with the angle of the nose of the saddle
5. Saddle Time - You do need to just get used to it.

The nice thing about mountain biking is that you don't just sit on the saddle, you should be out of the saddle enough that you give the girl bits a break every now and then.

I wear lycra w/chamois, and sometimes a baggy over that. I prefer my baggies without a built a in liner

geargrrl