Quantcast

Newest Convert to the Single Speed Army

BALOG

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
GT Ruckus I-drive man! I like the SS... used to ride a SS hardtail freerider and it´s so fun!

Monkey
wtf were you doing to bend the derailluer that badly? My Ruckus had no problem with anything on most trails in Santa Cruz area. Are there that many rocks where you live? BTW mine rode beautifully. The handling was really great at being tossed around and balanced to be steered with the rear brake.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
wtf were you doing to bend the derailluer that badly? My Ruckus had no problem with anything on most trails in Santa Cruz area. Are there that many rocks where you live? BTW mine rode beautifully. The handling was really great at being tossed around and balanced to be steered with the rear brake.
I do this thing where I fall down rock faces and crash into trees, logs, rocks, and friends that fall in front of me. Somewhere in there they seem to get bent...
New England is all rocks.

I love the bike. The rear pivot leaves a bit to be desired in the stiffness department, but I think I'll engineer some bigger stiffer bearings into it if I decide to keep the bike. I already replaced the bushings with oil impregnated bronze ones, which made a world of difference, but it could still be better. Winter project.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
maybe you should reconsider ballet, with that little pirouette you did down the rock face at jiminy. I hear slippers are cheaper than derailleurs. :brows:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
What I can't believe is that the der. hanger is still straight enough to mount anything to. I resurrected it at least twice before I put a saint der. on there, and once after.

She looks good, welcome to the dark side. Don't you just love the un-cluttered bars?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
w00dy, whats up brah, so how are you liking that singlespeed setup, i know you have done a ton of riding on it now...i was toying with this last winter...thinking about it again...

give us some feedback

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If all you're using a bike for is recreation on lift access terrain I no longer see any need to run multiple gears. I love the quiet simplicity. Mostly it's just the low maintenance that'll keep me running what I've got.

2.5 mos at whistler without so much as a skip. No dropped chains, no smashed deraillers, and a gear that was, if not perfect, always predictable.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That does seem like a great idea. If one were to combine that with that new Hammerschmidt idea, that might just be about as bombproof as one would ever need...

Last edited:

Monkey
yeah, same as squadracorse's.

once, when the chain was a little too long. It's been fine since I shortened it.

I was going for the cheap cost since i already had the cranks. if there is a cheap source of bashguards let me know. :D

Sep 19, 2008
Central Alamance County
I put the Yess thingy on my B'rocket. I found the spring to be a little weak and allowed the chain to slap too much. I put a 990 brake spring in it, really stiffens it up. I run a 24/12 gear combo, really like single speed. Yess can be difficult to get in touch with however.

Sep 19, 2008
Central Alamance County
The 990 spring has tits in a different location from the yess spring but allows the same motion with way more tension. The spring comes from a 990 bmx rear brake, they are available aftermarket as spare parts (try danscomp.com). It required a little tapping of the existing holes due to the wire gauge of the spring.