Quantcast

Next Door Neighbor Almost Killed by Dog

Old_Dude

Monkey
This is a tragic story, but I have to get it off my chest. Yesterday, my daughter heard our next door neighbor screaming (our neighbor is female, about 48, nice figure, married - very, very nice person). So she goes into the house & calls 911 and the dispatch person at 911 put her on hold while my daughter could hear that police, an EMT vehicle and the Animal Control were contacted.

The screaming escalated and my daughter was beside herself with the agony of not being able to help this woman as she was being dragged around the yard by this dog, a Rotweiler (sp?). After 12 minutes, the county police show up - no lights flashing, no speeding to the house, and by this time, the dog had stopped, killed one of her dogs, injured her other dog and nearly killed my neighbor - blood everywhere, et cetera.

There have been two separate occasions where this same dog was out loose in my neighbors yard and each time she notified the owners who were pretty much apathetic to the problem. These dog owners are the same people who have a 10 month old baby and were seen last week - they had the child between the father's legs as he was bouncing around their yard on a 4-wheeler. The dog is usually chained up to a tree on a very short chain, BTW.

Initially, upon police investigation, the dog owners flat-denied they knew anything about the incident. Eventually, they "allowed" the Animal Control person to take their Rotweiler.

My neighbor who got attacked and her family are, of course, in shock. They are the nicest, friendliest, most respected people you'd ever meet (keep their yard very nice, quiet, blah, blah, blah). The owner of the dog lives three houses down from them and their next door neighbor (not me, the other side) has two pit-bulls chained up in the back yard. Their next door neighbor is the father of the person who owns the Rotweiler.

I just hope that somehow, this will all be handled in a humane way, that the court system will put the owner of the attack dog in jail for the maximum sentence. The woman who was attacked was TOTALLY in love with her dogs - especially the one that got killed. This is so sad because they're such good people and they were doing nothing wrong.

If my two daughters (12 & 9) had been out in the yard with our two small dogs, it could have easily been them involved - which scares me to death just thinking about it. How can people be SO STUPID!!! Why does anyone let something like this happen - something that is seemingly 100% preventable?

Sorry - I just had to get this off my chest and talk about it.

I don't know what to do, but I want to help them in any way I can. Any suggestions for me to help the family would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

OD

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by dwaugh
:eek: :eek: :eek: Thats horrible! I love good dogs but hate bad dogs! (and their owners that dont seem to care about what they do, if they get loose, etc.) :angry:
Thats really sad. :( Hope she recovers fast!
No such thing as bad dogs dude, just bad owners.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Old_Dude
This is a tragic story, but I have to get it off my chest. Yesterday, my daughter heard our next door neighbor screaming (our neighbor is female, about 48, nice figure, married - very, very nice person). So she goes into the house & calls 911 and the dispatch person at 911 put her on hold while my daughter could hear that police, an EMT vehicle and the Animal Control were contacted.

The screaming escalated and my daughter was beside herself with the agony of not being able to help this woman as she was being dragged around the yard by this dog, a Rotweiler (sp?). After 12 minutes, the county police show up - no lights flashing, no speeding to the house, and by this time, the dog had stopped, killed one of her dogs, injured her other dog and nearly killed my neighbor - blood everywhere, et cetera.

There have been two separate occasions where this same dog was out loose in my neighbors yard and each time she notified the owners who were pretty much apathetic to the problem. These dog owners are the same people who have a 10 month old baby and were seen last week - they had the child between the father's legs as he was bouncing around their yard on a 4-wheeler. The dog is usually chained up to a tree on a very short chain, BTW.

Initially, upon police investigation, the dog owners flat-denied they knew anything about the incident. Eventually, they "allowed" the Animal Control person to take their Rotweiler.

My neighbor who got attacked and her family are, of course, in shock. They are the nicest, friendliest, most respected people you'd ever meet (keep their yard very nice, quiet, blah, blah, blah). The owner of the dog lives three houses down from them and their next door neighbor (not me, the other side) has two pit-bulls chained up in the back yard. Their next door neighbor is the father of the person who owns the Rotweiler.

I just hope that somehow, this will all be handled in a humane way, that the court system will put the owner of the attack dog in jail for the maximum sentence. The woman who was attacked was TOTALLY in love with her dogs - especially the one that got killed. This is so sad because they're such good people and they were doing nothing wrong.

If my two daughters (12 & 9) had been out in the yard with our two small dogs, it could have easily been them involved - which scares me to death just thinking about it. How can people be SO STUPID!!! Why does anyone let something like this happen - something that is seemingly 100% preventable?

Sorry - I just had to get this off my chest and talk about it.

I don't know what to do, but I want to help them in any way I can. Any suggestions for me to help the family would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

OD
My mother got attacked by 2 boxers last September and it has just been settled. The attack was definately not as horrific as this but still was a huge shock to all.

THE FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT THING IS GET A LAWYER WHO HAS SOME EXPERIENCE IN DOG BITES/ATTACKS. She is deserving of as much financial compensation as she can get and a blood thirsty shark of a lawyer who is in it for the financial reward is the only sort that is going to ensure this. I was shocked at the amount of closure that it provided my mother when she got her settlement check. It definately wasn't the money... I'm not sure but I know that she felt better.

The second thing is make sure that this woman seeks counselling. Being attacked by a dog is a psychologically horrific event on a person, especially older people. Especially older DOG people. My mom resisted this but eventually went and it helped her a great deal.

The third thing get is get photographs of the wounds (most likely the hospital should have taken them due to it being a dog attack). Get any and all reports Animal control and the police fill out on the matter. Have them find out if there have ever been any complaints about these people as dog owners. If ANY of there dogs have been loose before make sure that they get that down as well. Have them keep every single piece of paper that ANYONE gives them in regards to this incident. The lawyer will do this but it is good for the family to do this as well.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
That's horrible. :(

It is good that your daughter knew how to react and called 911. That had to have been a very stressful situation to find herself in!

Best wishes to your neighbor and her pup for a full recovery.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Obviously your daughter was in a terrible quandry, but doesn't anyone else around there own a gun or SOMETHING that could have been used to repel the Rot...or was your daughter the only witness to the mauling? Twelve minutes of being mauled by a Rot- how horrifying. The owner or that dog should go to prison for a long, long time and then be sued for criminal negligence. :mad:

Stories like this scare the piss out of me because so many dog owners are simply stupid as fvck...and especially the owners of dangerous attack or security breeds. I hear about stuff like this all the time. In fact, one of the little girls my wife used to teach in 1st grade was badly facially disfigured when a similar situation resulted in a pit literally scalping her. If something like that happened to my wife or daughters, somebody would be beaten within a micron of their life. :angry:

BTW, good advice DRB! :thumb:

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
My neighbor lets his big ass german shepard run around in his front yard without a leash. I went to his house and told him that he should walk his dog on a leash and he told me it was his property and he could do what he wants. His front yard is not fenced and I told him that his dog would probably run accross the street and attack if he saw me walking my dog........some people should not be allowed to own dogs at all....

I am so sad to hear this and I hope that dumbass is prosecuted. Too bad the highest penalty will be paid by the victim with her health, and the dog with his life.....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by jmvar
My neighbor lets his big ass german shepard run around in his front yard without a leash. I went to his house and told him that he should walk his dog on a leash and he told me it was his property and he could do what he wants. His front yard is not fenced and I told him that his dog would probably run accross the street and attack if he saw me walking my dog........some people should not be allowed to own dogs at all....

I am so sad to hear this and I hope that dumbass is prosecuted. Too bad the highest penalty will be paid by the victim with her health, and the dog with his life.....
Call animal control.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

Bad news, only thing you can really do is send flowers and a get well card. Sound pretty lame but really what else can you do except tell em you and your families thoughts are with em....

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Man...thats awful. That dog would not have lived that long in my neighborhood.

My next door neighbor had a pitbull. It would literally choke itself lunging at anything that moved and was scary-aggressive. It lunged ONCE at a young relative who was visiting and me and that neighbor had a talk. It basically went something like this:

"If you ever walk that dangerous piece of meat on this side of the street again, I am going go upstairs, get an AR-15 and put a bullet in its skull, and you know I will do it"

No, it wasnt the most tacful or legally smart thing to do, but if he ever walked it again down this side, I would have shot it, and he knew it. I refuse to put myself my family or anyone else in danger because of an animal. That lunging dog to me was as threatening as a stranger pointing a gun at that child not knowing if it was loaded.

He now crosses the street and walks his stinking dog on the other side. Im sorry but there ARE bad dogs. I have been a dog owner all my life and know how to raise a dog, and we had a dog once that simply had bad temperment. At 6 months he shredded my hand and was put to sleep that same night. It might be harsh but I have a zero tolerance for biting dogs, especially around children. The moment a dog bites a human out of fear or aggression and learns that people get hurt, run or stop doing whatever they were doing, that dog has it in them.

The poor family....poor dogs that were killed.

This is a perfect reason why I own a gun. 12 minutes? 12 MINUTES???

May 4, 2004
a computer near you!
first of all, im so sorry this happened to her, im sorry it happenes to anyone. second of all, try to help by helping them find a lawyer that knows what to do. and to those that think pit bulls, rotties, dovermens, and other kind of dogs like that are bad, your wrong. any kind of dog can snap and attack at any time. animals are un-predictabel (sp?) it all depends on how the owner raises them, and how they are treated growing up. i love dogs, but i will never fully trust them. :(

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I meant that by dogs that scare me and/or chase me. I've been chased by a lot of dogs, one ran almost as fast as I could ride uphill and was biting at my heels the whole way. The other dog actually bit my friend's shoe. There was a hole in the fence that surrounds the yard, actually I think that the hole is still there and those dogs still freak me out.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Yeah I've never understood the need to own these animals. I can't fathom the thought process. "Should I get a black lab or a nice cuddly pit bull?"

There have been some gnarly dog attacks reported on the news here over the past few months, and as near as I can remember, the worst of it was that the dogs were put down. I don't recall hearing that the owners were held responsible in any way. So more than likely, the dust will settle and they'll go out and get another vicious dog, not keep it in check, and some other little kid (or whatever) will be hurt.

Old_Dude

Monkey
The woman is doing okay - she will have scars though. That's about the only good news I have to this point.

It is good that your daughter knew how to react and called 911. That had to have been a very stressful situation to find herself in!
Yeah - that was upsetting to me that my daughter had to go through this - but that was obviously insignificant compared to what my neighbor went through. My daughter was praised for her immediate reaction to call 911 and, of course, we reinforced our approval of her "lack of direct involvment". She wanted to go over and help but she stood on the deck and watched in horror. In a way, I'm surprised she didn't go over there and try to help - she was frantic to do something. In a way, I'm glad she didn't (I know that sounds, perhaps somewhat selfish). Again, we praised her reaction to the event.

. . . only thing you can really do is send flowers and a get well card. Sound pretty lame but really what else can you do except tell em you and your families thoughts are with em....
Yeah, plus we've let them know we'll testify in court too, if it comes to that.

I'm sure the victims of this attack do not want this to escalate into some sort of feud. They are very rational, peace-loving people and I just can't imagine them "taking the law into their own hands", so to speak. I also can't imagine any legal system returning that dog or letting the owners get away with this.

Thanks,

OD

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
I also can't imagine any legal system returning that dog/B]

Well, if this DOES happen (and stranger things have happened) there is only 1 solution.....

poisoned meat.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
How horrible... I can't imagine being your daughter and witnessing that. Kudos to her for doing the right thing.. grace under pressure!

About the neighbor... you said she would have scars: Where did the dog attack/bite? I hope the creature didn't drag her around by hear head or face.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by MMike
Yeah I've never understood the need to own these animals. I can't fathom the thought process. "Should I get a black lab or a nice cuddly pit bull?"

It's the owners fault...I know plenty of nice cuddly pitbulls...the owners make em into dicks, cuz the owners are dicks. The friendliest doggy in my neighborhood is a pit named Cisco...he's way cool and super friendly.

When that lady in San Francisco was mauled to death by that mastiff, they were doing a report on the news and said that there are more fatal and violent rottweiler attacks reported than pit bulls...and before anyone jumps me for believing something on the news, internet, etc....yes it was on the news...and no I cannot verify the validity of these facts...

Neglect will also make a mean dog...some whore who used to live next door kept a really sweet friendly rott for a friend of hers in the dog run along my fence. I watched that poor dog go from being friendly to aggressive and mean...poor dog sat back there in the heat and the bitch never walked him or played with him...just kept him holed up in that tiny dog run. God I hated that skank.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
I don't even know what I would do. I would probably lose control and go kill the neighbor.

I have a little Yorkie, and he has a funky temperment around people ... but he doesn't bite. He just freaks out barking and charging ... so before I let him down, I say, he's just very loud, don't be afraid he wont' bite, but he'll bark his little head off ...

It's embarassing, but he's never hurt anything/anyone ...

Big mean dogs are the worst ... :\ I think if my dog's temperment was in a bigger dog, I'd have to have him put down just because of his power ability ...

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
Originally posted by BMXPrincess06
any kind of dog can snap and attack at any time.
yea, but when was the last time you saw the news report "WOMAN MAULED BY WIENER DOG!" or "CHILD ATTACKED BY SH1TSUE IN CRITICAL CONDITION!!"

:rolleyes:

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Thats like saying that there is no such thing as bad people, just bad parents. Unfortunatly, some dogs are just mean. It doesnt always have anything to do with rearing. When you are talking about an animal that is the product of generations and generations of inbreeding, you are going to run into problems with some of them. There are bad and good everything, gentle and violent everything. I speak from experiance. I have been trapping dogs and cats for some twenty years now. Rots by far are the most prone to violence. Whether they were brought up in the hood or the suburbs. Ya gotta watch 'em. If I had a couple of young kids in a neiborhood with a dog like that I would take care of the problem one way or another. There is afterall no real choice to make when it comes to the safety of your family. That is horrible that that woman had to go thru that. We were in the proccess of getting ready to move a Rot once that seemed pretty calm, when it got sight of SOMETHING, we still have no idea what, and tried to take off, when my partner grabbed the leader the animal turned on her. She lost a hunk of her calf and has a horrible scar that covers her right tit now. Bad scene that ended up with a badly hurt person and a dead dog.

BUT you are kinda right. Of all the Rot owners I have had to deal with, the vast majority of them are yuks who bought the dog instead of a big gun or a fast nova, its all about the big dog, street cred...coolness...whatever motivates folks with G.E.D.'s...

Sorry your kid had to go thru that too, that can be traumatic for children.:(

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Hey, you know me, I hate to argue (another lie), but that's not true! Anti freeze in the water bowl is cheaper, last time I checked.
You can get Digitalis from some easily obtainable bulbs. Very small doses will send the cardiac muscle into wicked arythmia ending in failure. Much less suffering than a systemic poison.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thats aweful!

I'd be as pissed at the cop as the dog owner.

At least in recent years the precedent has been to hold dog owners more accountable, and the loss of a pet is now considered more meaningful than the loss of non-living property.

But 12 minutes for the cops to show up?!?!?