Quantcast

Next project: pull up linoleum and lay tile in the kitchen

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
into our landfills and water table? i guess people get rid of old TVs and paint that way too.

there's usually a solid reason behind waste disposal laws.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
into our landfills and water table? i guess people get rid of old TVs and paint that way too.

there's usually a solid reason behind waste disposal laws.
Narlus, I am not sure if asbestos is harmful that way! (water table etc.) I know the major health risk with it is if it becomes suspended in air. In other words the fibers are broken up and little particles are flying around as you are inhaling them. That is how it was explained to me by the guy that did the removal of the asbestos pipe insulation removal.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
brungeman said:
Narlus, I am not sure if asbestos is harmful that way! (water table etc.) I know the major health risk with it is if it becomes suspended in air. In other words the fibers are broken up and little particles are flying around as you are inhaling them. That is how it was explained to me by the guy that did the removal of the asbestos pipe insulation removal.
yeah, it won't leech into our groundwater, so it was probably a bad and not very relevant example.

still, the amount of crap people dump out improperly is pretty annoying to me.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MtnBikerChk said:
I'd have to call for prior approval :(

http://www.themdc.com/whatishazwaste.htm (hazardous waste removal for our town)

CT Department of public health website

If the material is damaged or becomes damaged, the DPH recommends that a licensed asbestos contractor be contacted to abate the material. Abatement may involve repair, enclosure, encapsulation or removal of the material. Asbestos abatement involving more than three (3) linear feet or more than three (3) square feet of asbestos-containing material must be performed by a licensed asbestos abatement contractor. Due to the potential health effects related to asbestos exposure, the DPH recommends that asbestos abatement involving amounts up to three (3) linear feet or up to three (3) square feet of asbestos-containing material be performed by individuals with proper training and experience.

Well it sounds like there is nothing really stopping you from doing it yourself. The state only "recommends" you use an abatement contractor... doesn't say you MUST... Keep it wet and you'll be ok, otherwise you will always have asbestos around in you your home... :dead: