Quantcast

NFL: :shocking: newz... Ricky Williams retires

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
I think 'quitting his job' is much more accurate than 'retiring from the NFL'

Usually retiring means that you had a career. 5 years of half-assed performance isn't a career.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
bushwacker said:
I think 'quitting his job' is much more accurate than 'retiring from the NFL'

Usually retiring means that you had a career. 5 years of half-assed performance isn't a career.
True, he could have been a great RB, but we'll never know now.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
I wouldnt knock anyone for quitting football, maybe he wants to get out of bed without severe pain when hes 35 (if it isnt going to happen already). My grandfater suffered terrible back and neck pain for 40+ years after playing for the Bruins. Make some serious dough and get out before you ruin your body, sounds like a good plan to me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
narlus said:
that is f'd up. what were his issues? too much ditka money thrown at him at a young age?
social anxiety disorder. Remember when he was with the Saints and wore his helmet off the field to avoid the media?

I don't blame the guy even tho I'm a life-long dolphin. I just hope he finds the peace he's looking for and not fvck up his life with drugs.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No, you can not fault Williams for quitting football. You CAN fault him on his timing though. It was very selfish and he left his team is a VERY bad position now. One week before camps open and he retires??? He should have retired at the end of last season, or played another year. It's too late now for the Dolphins to go out and find a replacement, so now they have to count on someone who had a total of 41 carries last year. The Dolphins just went from a playoff contender to a 6 or 7 win team.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
No, you can not fault Williams for quitting football. You CAN fault him on his timing though. It was very selfish and he left his team is a VERY bad position now. One week before camps open and he retires??? He should have retired at the end of last season, or played another year. It's too late now for the Dolphins to go out and find a replacement, so now they have to count on someone who had a total of 41 carries last year. The Dolphins just went from a playoff contender to a 6 or 7 win team.
Still, quitting a week before the season starts is probably better than showing up and not putting in 100%.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
Still, quitting a week before the season starts is probably better than showing up and not putting in 100%.
considering how much better Ricky is than most everyone else. I'd take 80% effort until a replacement could be found.

I hope Ricky loses all his money in the law suit the Dolphins will file.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
considering how much better Ricky is than most everyone else. I'd take 80% effort until a replacement could be found.

I hope Ricky loses all his money in the law suit the Dolphins will file.
Football being a team sport, having someone in such an important role put in 80% has a larger negative affect on the team than the 20% loss of their performance.

Just look at all the little things that make a TEAM good. Are other backs or wide receivers going to risk hurting themselves blocking for a guy who isn't putting in 100%? I doubt it.

Ricky quitting when he did was a crappy thing for the Dolphins but they are better off without him if this is what he really wants to do.