Quantcast

#$%&*ng Taxes!@!@!@

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Marriage Penalty... isn't one of the issues that only one person can file as head-of-household and claim that deduction?

Fill out the forms as married and "married filing seperately" and see what happens, but only one can claim HoH, yeah?

The hit really only occured when both were in the same tax bracket, political propaganda made everyone think they were getting hit, the laws was changed in 2003 to eliminate this.

mert

Chimp
Jul 17, 2006
mass
just did ours...same exact filing last year and this year.

last year we made more, and got more back
this year made less and got less back:disgust: :disgust: :disgust:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
This is nothing, if you think this year hurts, just wait until next year.

Halliburton is moving its corporate headquarters outside the US. This means that all of the profit that they make from those sweet no-bid contracts and fraud-based overcharging will no longer be taxed by the US.

The best part is that if they pay less taxes, guess who gets to pay more. Take a look in the mirror.

Whoever said "freedom isn't free" earlier in this thread never worked for Halliburton.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Call me crazy, but the taxes we pay today aren't really doing anything to fund the war; we can thank China for doing that. Based on my limited knowledge of economics, taxes are going to increase when China ceases to fund our massive budget deficit, be that 2 or 10 years from now.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Actually, I have a degree in economics and I can tell you that our taxes do fund the war.

The government spending is covered by 2 things - taxes that go into the general fund and deficit spending (we don't make enough to cover all of our purchases - thanks w!)

The mistake that people have is thinking that the war is not covered by taxes because it was not funded through the budget. That is like saying I didn't have to use my paycheck to pay for a new car because I bought it on credit.

Basically congress agrees on the budget, but bush has been running the war as an "add on" to the budget. Congress let him get away with that because they were all republicans in the past. They ould agree to however many trillions to run the governement, and then he would lop the extra hundreds of billions on top of that spending. All of that essentially drops into a big bucket of costs and it is paid for through taxes, and whatever else is left over is paid for through the increased deficit.

In one way or another the war will be paid with tax dollars, some today, some in the future. China is only giving us a loan, and when that comes due (with massive interest), it's gonna be a bitch to pay.

I'll be there in 2 weeks, I'll be sure to spend some money to try to bring the balance back to our favor. Wish me luck.

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
I'm getting a total of 1800 back from state and fed. I bought a house last yr, so alot of my return is from that. I also rent half my house out, so i was able to claim that extra income and claim any repairs or updates on the house. This yr is going to be the fun yr, i have to keep track of all bike related purchases and trips for my startup company which will turn into a non-prof orgazation in a few yrs. Plus keep track of all purchaces toward my house. I know some of you allready do this, but this will be my first yr I have to keep track of all this stuff so it's going to be a learning yr for me.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm getting a total of 1800 back from state and fed. I bought a house last yr, so alot of my return is from that. I also rent half my house out, so i was able to claim that extra income and claim any repairs or updates on the house. This yr is going to be the fun yr, i have to keep track of all bike related purchases and trips for my startup company which will turn into a non-prof orgazation in a few yrs. Plus keep track of all purchaces toward my house. I know some of you allready do this, but this will be my first yr I have to keep track of all this stuff so it's going to be a learning yr for me.
ugg... do you know how much work there is being a federal non-profit corporation?

:dead:

The "marriage penalty" had to do with the standard deduction. It used to be that if you filed single, you'd get (for example) $5,000 as a standard deduction but as married filing joint you would only get $8500 (rather than $10,000).

1. if you itemize it doesn't matter and
2. Bush changed that a few years ago so last year and this year the MFJ deduction is twice the single

and to the people who are married and claim 0 on their w-4 and STILL owe at the end of the year, you or your spouse should consider filling out your w-4 and checking the box "married, but withhold at the higher single rate."

MBC, CPA

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
ugg... do you know how much work there is being a federal non-profit corporation?

:dead:
Not a clue, but i know it won't be easy but i feel the out come will be we'll worth the hard work it will take to make it happen.