Quantcast

Nice close-up of 2007 Rock Shox and 2006 Maxxis

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
They look knobbly...Well.....If profro can make it down Windrock in less than :45 then i guess they grip good.....
hmm wonder if you could get the fork with naked women on it instead of the Rock Shox billboard ...You know eveyone would be checking out your fork then. & could even cause you to win a 4x race cause the racers next to ya would be zoning on the girls !

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
S.K.C. said:
was asking Maxxis to make this tread pattern as a DH tire with a 2-ply casing...
I'm still asking. I know there won't be any for 2006, but they will be releasing a 2.4 single-ply version sometime.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ok..... these photos have been around since interbike. do a search next time.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhkid said:
i think they are just the hanseventure.. nothing new.. :dancing:
They are NOT the Hansventure. They are the Advantage. I've ridden both. The Hansventure blows, but the Advantage is the best tire I've ridden. PERIOD. I've been begging them to produce a 2.5 DH version. There is no plan to, but I'm curious to see if it will translate to a bigger tire. I love DHFs in 2.5, but hate them in 2.35.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Cant Climb said:
what dont you like about the Hansventure.......?
I ran a 2.4 dual compound version two winters ago and it rolled slow and cornered horribly. It had too much going on in the tread. Cornering is THE most important tire characteristic for me. Followed in a distant second by predictability. I prefer tires with a pronounced groove between the center knobs and the side knobs. I.E. DHF, HighRoller, Advantage. Tires like the Hansventure, DHR, etc don't have a groove which I can dig in under cornering. I think the Advantage works well for a 2.1 size because the tread size and the open knobs work together to grip. I wouldn't be suprized that same combo wouldn't work on a larger 2.5 DH version. However we may never know.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Profro - yeah it sounds like a great tread they have there... An Advantage DH would definitely kick ass. Till then, how has it been holding up? Have you been racing DH on it?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
S.K.C. said:
Profro - yeah it sounds like a great tread they have there... An Advantage DH would definitely kick ass. Till then, how has it been holding up? Have you been racing DH on it?
I've been riding the 70a 2.1 versions on my hardtail and they work great for DJs, MTNx, DS, and trail riding. I haven't done any DH on them.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
profro said:
I ran a 2.4 dual compound version two winters ago and it rolled slow and cornered horribly. It had too much going on in the tread. Cornering is THE most important tire characteristic for me. Followed in a distant second by predictability. I prefer tires with a pronounced groove between the center knobs and the side knobs. I.E. DHF, HighRoller, Advantage. Tires like the Hansventure, DHR, etc don't have a groove which I can dig in under cornering. I think the Advantage works well for a 2.1 size because the tread size and the open knobs work together to grip. I wouldn't be suprized that same combo wouldn't work on a larger 2.5 DH version. However we may never know.
I agree with you. They also tout it as good at clearing mud, it packs up very easily. It looks like it would roll good but it doesnt........rolls like molasses.

The tire seems to stick good but when it lets go it is gone.....there's no clawing action or friction.....i havent ridden since it let go 9 weeks ago. I was on my face in a flash......

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
profro,
You run DHF Minions front and rear right? How does the DHF in the rear break as compared to the HR or DHR?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Kanter said:
profro,
You run DHF Minions front and rear right? How does the DHF in the rear break as compared to the HR or DHR?

WAY better than the HR and still much better than the DHR. Chris Herndon quantified it well by saying that the DHF brakes much truer due to the seperated center knobs. I agree. The tread pattern helps it brake straighter without wanting to fishtail like the solid center knob of the DHR. The DHRs brake well, but tend to lock up too much for me.

Kanter, I'm thinking of coming up and racing Big Sky next year. My buddy rode there last summer and was blown away with it.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
profro said:
They are NOT the Hansventure. They are the Advantage. I've ridden both. The Hansventure blows, but the Advantage is the best tire I've ridden. PERIOD. I've been begging them to produce a 2.5 DH version. There is no plan to, but I'm curious to see if it will translate to a bigger tire. I love DHFs in 2.5, but hate them in 2.35.
sorry, my bad. :nuts:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ito said:
http://dh-raiderz.de/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Eurobike-2005&id=IM000193

Sorry if this has been covered, but what brakes are these? I'm guessing a new Avid as the fork is rockshox. And is that the Maxel on there or something different?

The Ito
those are the new avid protos...for DH, i dont think there is much detail out there yet...man avid and rock shox are stepping it up...i just got juicy carbons for my xc/trailbike and a bb7 for my street/park bike to replace my hopes and am happy as hell...i think this is gonna be SRAMS year

x.0 shifters :drool:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
profro said:
WAY better than the HR and still much better than the DHR. Chris Herndon quantified it well by saying that the DHF brakes much truer due to the seperated center knobs. I agree. The tread pattern helps it brake straighter without wanting to fishtail like the solid center knob of the DHR. The DHRs brake well, but tend to lock up too much for me.

Kanter, I'm thinking of coming up and racing Big Sky next year. My buddy rode there last summer and was blown away with it.
Im just getting use to the DHF on the rear. Ive only had one real ride on it and it was a lot different.

Let me know if you make it to Big Sky.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
profro said:
Big Sky is lots of fun! Not too rocky or rough but fast w/ some good steep sections. The lift service is fairly spotty in my experience, closing down often due to wind and afternoon storms. How often do they hold races?

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
profro said:

I've ridden both DHR and DHF in front and rear at all psi levels and conditions.

They are OK. I think they seriously lack cornering traction in really loose stuff, although they do hold a good amount of speed through smoother corners.

It's true about the DHR in the rear, it like to hop out of rythm and lock up way too easily. Sucks in mud. Well it just sucks period for being a heavy DH tire with soft rubber.

I switched to the Kenda Nevegal front and rear 2.5 DH StickE. They do everything I was hoping the Minion would do. Mind blowing traction in any condition. It might seem crazy, but this tire holds like a champ in both hard pack and loose soil. It has a super slow rebound rubber that just molds itself to the terrain and eats roots and rocks, keeping you in a perfect straight line.

I run mine 14psi front and 20 psi rear. They honestly feel like 3.0 tires with 5 psi in them. The stick E rubber's slow rebound makes it feel this way.

Not a slow tire considering the amount of insane traction.