Quantcast

Nicolai 4x

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I think Graf rides it, but still prefers the hardtail for the races (as most racers do). Any pics of a complete build?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
But if you look closely in that vid, when comes racing time, Graf is on the hardtail!!! Bike looks bomber, thanks for the pics! Also, geo looks tight with a 80mm fork, which is rather rare for a DS 4x bike (most will be optimized for 100mm forks).

Looking at the Tech Sheet, 22.4 tt lenght for a large? 429mm chainstay??

Also, aren't Nicolai stupidly expensive here (USA, Canada) ? Would love a bike like that, but I could see the frame costing around 2k easy.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
But if you look closely in that vid, when comes racing time, Graf is on the hardtail!!! Bike looks bomber, thanks for the pics! Also, geo looks tight with a 80mm fork, which is rather rare for a DS 4x bike (most will be optimized for 100mm forks).

Looking at the Tech Sheet, 22.4 tt lenght for a large? 429mm chainstay??

Also, aren't Nicolai stupidly expensive here (USA, Canada) ? Would love a bike like that, but I could see the frame costing around 2k easy.
2299 Euros = 3233 U.S. dollars. :shocked:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Yeah this bike wouldn't go anywhere near a 4x race with me on it, I just really dig this style of bike and would love to own one for ripping around everywhere!

Nicolai are expensive yeah, to look at they're real works of art tho!

Thanks for the pics Dump.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
But if you look closely in that vid, when comes racing time, Graf is on the hardtail!!!
Noticed that as well. Yeah, Nicolai bikes are quite expensive. Even though they have "production" frames, they're mostly all made to order... so basically custom.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I know one thing. I want one. 2 travel settings. 1 for 4x, dirtjumps and trailriding and the 2nd one for more serious business with great low and slack geo. Plus it is a work of art.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Say what! Does it come with a 6pack of good german beers and authentic weiners?? That's crazy, who in their right mind will pay that much for short travel fs frame:eek:
Bikes tend to be more expensive in yurp. That price is steep but its not really that suprising.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Bikes tend to be more expensive in yurp. That price is steep but its not really that suprising.
Ok, I see. I knew Nicolai's were expensive, but I'm wondering how much they can sell at that price. Still a beautiful bike

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
2299 Euros = 3233 U.S. dollars. :shocked:
In Europe we make a 1$=1€ conversion with frames that come from USA. A Nomad Carbon for example is 2700$ in Usa and 2700€ in Europe. So that Nicolai is not very expensive around here, it's actually a good deal.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ok, I see. I knew Nicolai's were expensive, but I'm wondering how much they can sell at that price. Still a beautiful bike
You see quite a few of them in Austria and Germany. They are still an expensive brand but it is not like Germans or Austrians are poor. Some bigger park opening days mean seeing some really pimp builds.

Not to mention you can also use nicolai customiser and get everything dialled (of course for a premium).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Keep in mind that the prices are valid for Germany only and include 19% VAT. Mine was a team/demo bike... but I'm not sure they're doing the US team/distributor thing anymore.

nicolais2000

Chimp
May 22, 2011
Nicolai is expensive, but they are building beautiful frames. I still have an Lambda from 1999 in my garage and I will for sure build it up one day again to remember my young days

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Intense M9 FRO Frame CCDB 2825€
Turner DHR DW Frame 2011 3047€
Nicolai ION ST 2299€

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still need to see the first good priced Nicolai frame....
It will never happen, if you build a frame in Germany that requires lots of manual labour you need to sell it for a serious amount of money.

When I ordered a new dropout set for my frame they sent out a cataolgue and it is really strange everything is just factual info, no marketing hype at all. I read it front to back, no mention of some magic aluminum that makes their bikes special just facts and geo, nice!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
When I ordered a new dropout set for my frame they sent out a cataolgue and it is really strange everything is just factual info, no marketing hype at all. I read it front to back, no mention of some magic aluminum that makes their bikes special just facts and geo, nice!
Yeah, I appreciate that and think their customers do as well... but this isn't mass market clearly.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They never tried to be a mass producing company.
Yes, I know this. My comment was basically to say when you're not competing with the main stream, you can do things differently and be sucessful.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
THIS JUST IN:

when you import things from other countries they are generally more expensive than if you buy them in their country of origin.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Nicolai brand Erector Set bikes, the rage of Europe!

Here at Nicolai, we build 'em ugly and overpriced, and the europunks eat it up!

Remember, folks: if you really value your Status and compete in the Status Contest Among Other Humans, you deserve a Nicolai because it's the only bike that says,

"I have 10 times as much money as I have wisdom"

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Where are you guys getting prices for this thing? No info on pricing on Nicolai website.

Alpineslug, ever considered not being a complete bell end on every thread you post in?

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Where are you guys getting prices for this thing? No info on pricing on Nicolai website.

Alpineslug, ever considered not being a complete bell end on every thread you post in?
try reading more of my posts. if you only read in absurd threads about stupid trends that everyone's afraid to label as utterly stupid, you'll get the wrong idea.

but I'm sure Nicolai bikes are great... look at all the holes drilled in them!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Remember, folks: if you really value your Status and compete in the Status Contest Among Other Humans, you deserve a Nicolai because it's the only bike that says,

I don't get it, how is the frame piccd in this thread ugly, you like paper thin hydroformed tubes because they look pretty?

They are expensive and there are some ugly ones but you get a 5yr transferrable warranty on almost all of the frames so you can get some decent money back when it's time to sell.

I paid more for my second hand Ion frame than I did for my brand new Corsair, do I feel ripped off? No, this one works and I'm not constantly checking for cracks in the frame or cracked bolts.

I also like the fact that people that know sweet FA about bikes are more likely to steal a new Iron Horse over mine because it looks nicer(to them):p

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot

Spoken like a complete tool. You sir, are an idiot. :thumb:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
They are expensive and there are some ugly ones but you get a 5yr transferrable warranty
warranty & service is pretty impressive - i bought a used UFO a few years ago which developed a small crack at the ht/dt junction. they repaired the frame (added a gusset) and re-powder coated w/ the color of my choice - for free. turnaround including shipping to & from germany was under 3 weeks. exchange rate kills the viability of them having any sort of market in n/a, but as mentioned, they're not unreasonably priced for eurolandians.

whoa, vintage bits; fun little bike. kinda mini dh before its time:

i still like the teutonic aesthetics - and straight tubes! would love to give one of these a go one day (though at ~$7kusd for the frameset, not so likely):

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
frame no shock on the gearbox bike is 4649E, take off the 19% VAT and convert to USD (1.4) they are $5271 plus ship (likely $250 with import and brokerage fees). certainly not cheap, but well... not $7k either

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
frame as pictured is 6000euros.
and stuff is always more with custom paint etc.

point is, you can get that frame with standard 1 color pair, without shock for $5271. certianly mad expensive, but not $7k

in regards to the 4x frame, if it is indeed 2299E, then it is $2600 us, plus ship. you can deduct the 19% VAT tax if you do not live in the EU.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
I don't get it, how is the frame piccd in this thread ugly, you like paper thin hydroformed tubes because they look pretty?
Projection time! "You like ______." Where did I say I liked ANYTHING in particular? You're just trying to be funny -- and failing at it!

Yeah sure -- Nicolai frames are the only ones that don't have paper thin hydroformed tubes. Yep.

They are expensive and there are some ugly ones but you get a 5yr transferrable warranty on almost all of the frames so you can get some decent money back when it's time to sell.
Sounds logical if I were the kind of guy to buy my bikes for resale value, obnoxious initial price, and ugly erector set design cues.

I paid more for my second hand Ion frame than I did for my brand new Corsair, do I feel ripped off? No, this one works and I'm not constantly checking for cracks in the frame or cracked bolts.
Corsair?

Wow. You're a fool -- but a rich fool! So that counts for something!

I also like the fact that people that know sweet FA about bikes are more likely to steal a new Iron Horse over mine because it looks nicer(to them):p
Yeah, the way a bike looks is more important than almost anything -- except its initial price tag, and its legion of unquestioning fans. Those two things come first.:eek: