Quantcast

Nicolai B-Boxx

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
Just received this info via a Nicolai email blast, no info on their site yet:

After G-Boxx 1 and G-Boxx 2 Karl Nicolai is presenting his next ”coup de main”: The B-Boxx is a shiftable planetary gear that is mounted to a regular ISCG adapter and replaces the front derailleur. The B-Boxx is the first product of a co-operation in engineering between Karl Nicolai's company Universal Transmissions and the innovative German bike brand Bionicon. The B-Boxx target is to establish gearbox technology within the ranges of epic and all-mountain biking.

By a simple push-button the biker can choose between two gears. The slow gear equates a crank turn with a 25 teeth sprocket and the force is transmitted directly. The faster gear multiplies each crank turn with a factor of 1,65 what equates a 41 teeth sprocket. During the development some ext ra attention was put on the aspect of shifting under full lo! ad. Like the G-Boxx 2 the B-Boxx is fitted with a patend magnetic activated free-wheel cogging, to make the shifting process smooth.

The B-Boxx will be presented for first time at the Eurobike in September. The rollout is scheduled for 2010.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Nice to see some more development going on. Isn't this similar to that new Truvativ Hammerschmidt thing?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A 25t and a 41t? Thats is some weird gearing for all mountain IMO.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
26 and 36 would be more AM'ish, but 25-41 allows a wider range in the end. I can see why they need to have such a large gap however with conventional planetary gearsets. I was a bit annoyed by how bionicon and sram were just re-releasing technology thats been used on bikes for 100 years, but They are at least releasing it in a cleaner, more refined, design. Sort of like the MRP G2's improvement over the standard Taco.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
There is still a ton of gear overlap so I would think it would work out fine. You also have to consider that you no longer have to worry about cross chaining.
25 isn't low enough for steep, extended climbing. I can't remember the last time I needed more than a 38t on singletrack.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Interesting idea, I think I need to see some pics before I decide if it's FTW or FAIL though :)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
25 isn't low enough for steep, extended climbing. I can't remember the last time I needed more than a 38t on singletrack.
I agree with you there, I'm just pointing out that the huge gap between the 2 "chainrings" isn't going to cause issues like it would using a conventional derialer set up

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Just received this info via a Nicolai email blast, no info on their site yet:

After G-Boxx 1 and G-Boxx 2 Karl Nicolai is presenting his next ”coup de main”: The B-Boxx is a shiftable planetary gear that is mounted to a regular ISCG adapter and replaces the front derailleur. The B-Boxx is the first product of a co-operation in engineering between Karl Nicolai's company Universal Transmissions and the innovative German bike brand Bionicon. The B-Boxx target is to establish gearbox technology within the ranges of epic and all-mountain biking.

By a simple push-button the biker can choose between two gears. The slow gear equates a crank turn with a 25 teeth sprocket and the force is transmitted directly. The faster gear multiplies each crank turn with a factor of 1,65 what equates a 41 teeth sprocket. During the development some ext ra attention was put on the aspect of shifting under full lo! ad. Like the G-Boxx 2 the B-Boxx is fitted with a patend magnetic activated free-wheel cogging, to make the shifting process smooth.

The B-Boxx will be presented for first time at the Eurobike in September. The rollout is scheduled for 2010.
07-17-2008, 07:45 AM: First lowdown of the B-Boxx on Ridemonkey http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2999118&postcount=244 (CAD pics included!).

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
sounds like they need to make a smaller output chainring then