Quantcast

Nicolai Ion ST

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The geo is adjustable anyway so you wont have to pay extra for custom. I think in the slackest setting it is at 63.5ha and 13.3 inch bb height. Thats what the nicolai guys sent me. Also I thought there was no custom option on the ion. Still with that build quality - great bike. Id love to try one.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'd love to try one with the G-box, even if it is grip shift only. A Nicolai would certainly be a more individual ride than most of the rides that you see on the slopes, no experience with how they ride though sorry

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Also - dirt had one in their hammered section and they like it quite a bit. Try to look it up.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Yeah I saw the review. I dont tend to take too much notice of dirt reviews though.

Looking at the large frame everything is more or less perfect other than I would want a 1.5 ht

Cant understand why the med has such a short tt

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah I saw the review. I dont tend to take too much notice of dirt reviews though.

Looking at the large frame everything is more or less perfect other than I would want a 1.5 ht

Cant understand why the med has such a short tt
Nicolai guys always like to do something funky from my experiance. There were a lot of bass and some other fr models here a couple years ago.
Also - dirt hammered is much more reliable in terms of reviews than the regular Jonsey. Though I like to read booth.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I rode that pretty bike Dirt had for a few weeks, and I really, really liked it. More than I thought I would. It just felt natural and predictable, which inspired confidence which meant you could push it to the limit. Build quality was amazing. It had a Vivid out back so it wasn't the most sensitive back end when it came to absorption, but that would change with another shock. The one Dirt had seemed to be a little steeper in the front end (65-66), but that suited the tracks I was riding, and from the sounds of things it could be adjusted. I would certainly consider one.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Mandown has a Nicolai, I think he has a UFO ST, but you could hit him up about it. Some like the design of the bikes, some don't. Personally, I think they look fantastic and if you haven't seen one in person, the build quality is exceptional. They aren't cheap, but from what I understand that if you buy one new, the options are endless. They can pretty much do any finish that you want.

Last edited:

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
nicolai has an excellent reputation in germany, you´ll get 5 years of full warranty for example. i´d buy one if i had the money and the mountains to ride it. in general they know what they do, all the construction, welding and cnc machining is done in house, as far as i can remember.
they are definately worth considering, the workmanship and thought put into these frames are stunning. they´ve been in business for more than 15 years.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Mandown has a Nicolai, I think he has a UFO ST, but you could hit him up about it. Some like the design of the bikes, some don't. Personally, I think they look fantastic and if you haven't seen one in person, the build quality is exceptional. They aren't cheap, but from what I understand that if you buy one new, the options are endless. They can pretty much do any finish that you want.
Love the build quality on mine. I just wish the wheelbase was longer

:D

Honestly, I'd consider buying another Nicolai. It has been great and has been in my stable longer than any other bike I've ever owned. The UFO ST is better suited to smoother trails and FR routes with berms and jumps. I'm thinking the Ion is more of a true DH race rig. Never had a leg over one, so I can't coment.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I rode that pretty bike Dirt had for a few weeks, and I really, really liked it. More than I thought I would. It just felt natural and predictable, which inspired confidence which meant you could push it to the limit. Build quality was amazing. It had a Vivid out back so it wasn't the most sensitive back end when it came to absorption, but that would change with another shock. The one Dirt had seemed to be a little steeper in the front end (65-66), but that suited the tracks I was riding, and from the sounds of things it could be adjusted. I would certainly consider one.
The geo at the ION ST is adjustable at the shock mount. When I asked if I could get it with a bit lower geo they told me that and sent me this photo

knax

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
germany
the geometry figures on the nicolai website are not correct. i think they are for the pre-2010 models. for 2010 the head tube got shorter (->114mm, ~4.5") so you can fit a boxxer with the low top crown. they also slackened the head angle by 0.5°.
my `10 ion in the low setting sits at 13.4" bb height with 2.5" maxxis and a head angle in the 63.5° range.
and you can get it with a 1.5 head tube http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/684023

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
the geometry figures on the nicolai website are not correct. i think they are for the pre-2010 models. for 2010 the head tube got shorter (->114mm, ~4.5") so you can fit a boxxer with the low top crown. they also slackened the head angle by 0.5°.
my `10 ion in the low setting sits at 13.4" bb height with 2.5" maxxis and a head angle in the 63.5° range.
Did they change the TT length?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
That sounds amazing... :thumb:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That sounds amazing... :thumb:
I wonder why they dont post that on their website as Im pretty sure they sent me a picture of a bike with that geo subtitled on it 1.5 year ago (The one on the prev page). They are probably the worst marketed company in the bike world I know (well maybe not Ellsworth is a bit worse ;) ). Most of the people forgot about their existance.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Worked at Nicolai for 2 summers now as an Industrial design Intern

They really really do make quality bikes, that ride great and will last you a life time.

But wait and have a look at the Nucleon Evo! had a thrash on it at the company with the CCDB, completely silent and good weight distribution (it is heavy)

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Direct from a Nicolai Engineer apparently allows better stress distribution on the welded sections:p
very cool to hear directly from an engineer... im just curious( because iv only been welding for 3ish years ) ...wouldnt post-welding stress relieving do the job just fine? or maybe doing both the "fatter tungsten" and the "post welding stress relieving" works better?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
very cool to hear directly from an engineer... im just curious( because iv only been welding for 3ish years ) ...wouldnt post-welding stress relieving do the job just fine? or maybe doing both the "fatter tungsten" and the "post welding stress relieving" works better?
Im am afraid bud i am only an Industrial designer. While i do have good engineering knowledge, i have to admit my welding knowledge is quite ****e. ( oh dear :()

But I will find out for you from the head engineer, and see what he says. I will learn something too:thumb: