Quantcast

nicolai lambda - why?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the bike that won't go away. still in the '09 lineup (after how many years?) and still with the proprietary scrotum-crusher (tm) linkage. evidently people are still buying these - the question is why? perhaps appreciation requires germanic blood / a teutonic sense of aesthetics that i lack.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've ridden a couple. Its standard FSR suspension, but pretty stiff.
The penis scissor linkage is just scary though!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The colours are custom on all nicolai frames so you can get them all in funky colours.

The thing with lambda still in the lineup is the fact that as the owner said " it would be disrespectfull for the customer to sell them a frame and later pull it off the market". They may not sell not even 1 frame / year but this is their policy and since every frame is handbuild what's the problem?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The M-pire was the only bike from Nicolai I never liked...just didn't suit my riding tastes...as far as the lambda...you guys are just being paranoid...I have ridden a lambda many times and there was no nut crushing danger...if your nuts hang that low your have bigger problems...lol

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Its standard FSR suspension...

Yes and no...

IIRC part of the FSR patent (I dont care to look up the actual wording or the patent...) describes the pivot to be foreward and below the axle. The idea was to have the chainstays lengthen as the bike went through the travel providing some chain pull antisquat and giving a slightly straighter/more rearward (the basis for Spec's lies about a vertical axle path) axle path than would be from a single pivot at the same placement.

This bike has the pivot above the axle...combined with the seat stay geo, the axle path would be a tighter 'radius' (more forward) than what you would have with a single pivot....This would also tend to make the bike squat (more) with chain torque.

Brake interaction is removed from the chainstay, but that is about all that is the same as a 'typical' FSR/horst link.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
The only realistic way I can see the lambda crushing deez nutz if if one were to bottem out so hard as to break off the seat. Next they would need to lean forward so as not to get their nutz impaled by the now solo seat post. The next happening would surely be unpleasant - One would need to get sodomized by the seat post in order to deposit their nutz in the correct location for them to drop in between the front of the seat post and rear of the currenty bottemed out linkage. Finally the bike would return to sag level suspension height, crushing deez nutz indubitably.

So basically theres a 1/1000th chance of that ever happening.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just because it does not follow he RM liking doesn't mean its doesn't sell. I am sure there are still people who like beefy bikes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I say the same thing about Nicolai everytime I see one. NEEDS MOAR SPEEDHOLES. and more linkages. More speedholes and linkages, and an unneccesary gusset or three, please.

Every once in a while I joke about old Audis and how poorly they were designed. I'm beginning to understand that this is par for the course of german machinery...My magura brakes with sliding rods allow roughly 1" of sliding movement while the adapter that they sit on only allows .2"...vacuum locks on the audi...suspension designed by HR geiger...

When they get it right, they ace the test, but otherwise, watch out (for your wallet).

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
lol...that happened the day I got married
Really? I'd have to say that my Mojo with the ladies went way UP the day I got married. :cupidarrow: Single guys won't get the time of day. As soon as you get married, the women are all over you. Course, you can't actually USE that extra mojo once you are married. One of the great ironies in life I guess. :nopity:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Really? I'd have to say that my Mojo with the ladies went way UP the day I got married. :cupidarrow: Single guys won't get the time of day. As soon as you get married, the women are all over you. Course, you can't actually USE that extra mojo once you are married. One of the great ironies in life I guess. :nopity:
you know now that I think about it you're right...some of them even see my weeding ring right on my finger and still proceed :crazy:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I had one for a few years, and really liked it for what it was. Solid (understatement), pedaled pretty well, and did what it was supposed to with zero fuss. first build was 49lbs (monster), and the 2nd was 42lbs (Sherman). As I got faster I sold it and got an M-Pire which was more slacked out and racy (still riding one to this day). I think Orven had one and liked it as well. As far as the nuts thing, pretty much impossible, but I guess it's something for e-tards to ramble on about. Why it's still for sale? My guess is that it suits the bill for the riding style it's designed for as the angles are drastically different than the more race oriented bikes they sell, and people are obviously still buying them. I know they've evolved since conception quite a bit, but the purpose seems to be the same.

Some days, here in Onterible, I wish I still had it.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The M-pire was the only bike from Nicolai I never liked...just didn't suit my riding tastes...as far as the lambda...you guys are just being paranoid...I have ridden a lambda many times and there was no nut crushing danger...if your nuts hang that low your have bigger problems...lol
What about the bmxtb?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
u mean the 2mxtb? split tube, but no scissor action, since it is a hardtail.
I mean the bmxtb. Bmxman had one and I seem to remember him liking it. I had a 2mxtb... and awesome bike.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
What about the bmxtb?

still got my 2MX...once my ankle is 100%...I'll be back on it...I don't think I will ever get rid of it...just one of those frames that fit like a glove...now if I would have just keep the Nucleon FR :nopity:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ahaha - nice! :) How my memory fails me... thought it was a bmxtb for some reason. great pics

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Surprised no one mentioned this little gem...:banghead:
Freeride tandem bwahahahaaa.
Don't know why your laghing, it's so much fun, like riding drunk, takes more skill than you'd think. You have to look for a 1ft line rather than a 1 inch line.
Here's my current two up sled.

I think a big rear tyre would be better than rear suspension. I want to cut the rear off and put horrizontal drop outs and disk mount from a donor jump frame so I can run a Rohloff, disk brake, and most importantly a fatter than 2.1 tyre.
Also want to remove the bottom tube, raise it up a bit and put idlers for the chain to go up over for ground clearance. One of these days I'll get around to it. Beast flexes like mad, a nice stiff Ally one would be nice, not sure how long it'd last. They're so fast and powerful, and nothing stops them, and they're real hard to crash, so stable with such a long wheelbase, even with the kooky girlfriend thrashin around on the back.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The're not the only company that makes it. I think also Ellsworth and one other did.
There's heaps of other companies that have.
Cannondale
Intense
Ventanna(sp?)
and at least three others i've seen.
The Nicolai hardtail tandem is the one I'd pick though. Looks stiff.

Last edited: