Quantcast

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Ive just built up a set of 823s with 16mm Brass Prolock nips and its proving to be a pain in the arse.

If I were to rebuild from new Id just use 16mm Brass without the locktite stuff in em.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
im taking about the mavic ust nipple.....

im using a 9mm socket 6 point cause i dont have the tool,and this is the only thing proving to fit the mavic ust nipple.

How tight to they have to be,im guessing nothing crazy

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Yes, you have to use threadlock for the "mavic nipple".

They don't need to be torqued down an insane amount, snug is what you are looking for.

Edit: HAB got the jump on me. :)

The RED loctite, the color of the fluid not the bottle, is a PERMANENT
Loctite and should only be used on components that you are not planning
to remove.

The BLUE loctite, the fluid, is removable loctite, one of the names it is
given is "Thread 'n lock" as it is placed onto the threads of the screw
or bolt and then screwed together. It will harden up after awhile and
prevent the bolt or screw from coming apart from vibration.

so, yep shoulda most likely gone blue

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Actually.... to be specific.... None of the loctites listed are the correct for the job at hand...

First off.. Yes you want a thread lock on the retainers as said....

But the one you want to use for this is the lipstick style blue. Its not the liquid, more like a paste in a giant chapstick tube. reason is that you can control were it goes Much better, IE you really dont want the loctite to end up permiating<sp> to the nipple/retainer interface for that "could" cause problems with trueing down the road.

Also the paste type has a tendancy to be able to relock should you have a trailside/parking lot repair and you dont have everything exact to use.

Its also the type you find on the retainers when you get them from Mavic...... If these are new raitners for a new wheel build it should already be on the threads...... Unless Mavic stopped doing that

P.S.... for the record, I hate prolock nipples, more of a pain in the ass then they are worth

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I dont know if its me who is retarded or I have the wrong spokes.

But I cant thread eny of the last spokes to the nipples.

Enyone have 823's chime in plz.

I have all the same lenght spokes for both wheels and both sides.ITs centerline and my hub flanges are the same size.

One side of the rim is all done,wen im about to finish the other,I have 2/3 spokes that wont even come close to getting in place.

so frustrated

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
pslide, what says dt calculator?

i use 16mm prolock.I wonder whats bad about prolock?

16mm gives more tolerance of spoke length. Unfortunately I dont remember spoke length for my hadley hubs + 823ex but it worked well with DT spoke calculator.

I think if i will rebuild second time, I add dip of blue loctite on end of spokes and use the same nipples.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
the spokes are apperently 2.0x254 as go-ride says and gave me,one side laced up fine,other side just wont even come close,getting so frustrated with life nothing can ever go smoothly,****ing nothing.
then you have the right spokes length, assuming it's 3 crosses. There must be sth. wrong going on with your building...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
pslide, what says dt calculator?

i use 16mm prolock.I wonder whats bad about prolock?

16mm gives more tolerance of spoke length. Unfortunately I dont remember spoke length for my hadley hubs + 823ex but it worked well with DT spoke calculator.

I think if i will rebuild second time, I add dip of blue loctite on end of spokes and use the same nipples.
Prolocks are just a pain to get fully tensioned smoothly is all. Just a pain in the ass

How many turns are you putting on each nipple for the first lap?
That was my next question

They are not fake....... She is jus pudgy.......... Look at the belly flap hanging over there....
she is pudgy for sure... but i am also sure they are fake, look at the shape. of course i have seen real ones thus know the difference.. jk don't get upset i am sure you have seen boobs but man boobs don't count.
they are fake..... not because of the size but the shape a pudgy girl with big knockers does not have firm perky ones like us fit girls. it is a choice firm but smaller or big and well... you get the point

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
she is pudgy for sure... but i am also sure they are fake, look at the shape. of course i have seen real ones thus know the difference.. jk don't get upset i am sure you have seen boobs but man boobs don't count.
they are fake..... not because of the size but the shape a pudgy girl with big knockers does not have firm perky ones like us fit girls. it is a choice firm but smaller or big and well... you get the point
Damn New girl jumping right in with the slams... I like it!!!

They dont look very perky to me, in fact looks like the left is hangin pretty low.......My money says if we had a side shot we would see better the deflation.........

Trust me I am not about size, I am def a guy that is quality over quantity

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
He's names "Dirty Mike" FFS, I'd say he's seen a fare few if he's a red blooded male like the rest of us.
Even if you're a curvasious type that all the carpet lickers like, and you're batting for that team, I'm sure I've still seen more in person, and definately in photos, LOL. and yeah, I've got the family areloom playboys from the 60s, so there's no doubting what's real and fake there(this bit may be fictional for impact).
I'm sure if you're into boys, you've seen a lot more doodles than me.
She's pushing em out, and she's young enough.
Back to wheel building. I start of with a lap of 6 turns per nipple, and do that a few times, then reduce the turns as it tightens up. Patience is the key, if you're not working for the man, then just do it slow like this, then there's no binding up, or anything, and it all just pulls up nice and slow. Will end up nearly true, but will prob ably need dishing a bit.

Last edited: