Quantcast

nite lites

fishercat

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Boston area
I currently run a night rider trail rat on my handlebars and feel that i need a bit more light. LBS recommended a second trail rat for helmet mount. anyone use this setup? I dont want to spend the big bucks on lighting. thanks

bikeCOLORADO

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, USA!
Combo is the best way to go (handlebar and helmet).

Helmet:
- Pro: Lights up exactly where you are looking. Great for all trail riding - excels at low speed twisty and/or technical sections.
- Con: Provides nearly zero depth perception because the light is ABOVE the plane of your eyes, hence you see very little shadow relief of objects on the trail.

Handlebar:
- Pro: Provides excellent depth perception because the light is well BELOW the plane of your eyes, hence you see great shadow relief of objects on the trail.
- Con: Only lights up where your bar is pointing. Great for long and speedy straight sections...bad for tight twisty trails.

When you use them BOTH, ensure that their wattage/light output is similar or else the brighter one will wipe/wash out the other ones benefits.

I use:
- Trail Rat handlebar mount (about 3 years old) with a Sealed Lead Acid battery. I recently replaced the battery VERY cheaply by buying a replacement battery from Batteries Plus for only $15.00. Easy to swap the cables over.

- Performance Viewpoint Single helmet. NiMh battery - no memory effects, decent run-time. I sure hope I don't have to replace the battery anytime soon though. They're expensive!

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
Do you want to buy something pre-made or are you prepared to make your own.
Theres plenty of info on homemade halogen lights, however do your self a favour and look into luxeon L.E.D's.

I run a 5 watt luxeon led on the helmet which is 20mm in diameter and has an equivalent output of about 15 watts of light when compared to halogens.
I also run two 1 watt luxeons( equal to 5 watt halogen) on the bars, 1 red & 1 white, why red, the definition and lack of shadows is far superioir to white light on the single track in my area.

The best bit , with a 4500mah 3 cell "fat A' Nimh battery pack i get 6hrs of light and from a 6 cell "fat A" nimh battery pack for the 5watt i get 5 1/2 hours of light. The 6 cell weighs a 1/4 of what an equivalent lead acid does.
The complete setup cost me AUD$190 including a fast smart charger (1hr charge).
With the emergence of lith ion batteries you could half the battery weight again for for the same power output.

But you do have to make your own housings and assemble/solder the lights together.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
As per above, I vote for the dual lights. If using only one, I prefer helmet mount. I have a flood on my handlebar mount, and spot on helmet.

I have two Digital Evolutions, and two older style NightRider lights with home-made NiMh batteries, one of which is over-volted (much brighter). I've been running one unmodified one on handlebar, and one experimantal one on helmet. If someones light dies, I give up one of mine - good to save a ride for everyone.

I'll probably end up getting HID at some point, but still having fun with tinkering with older style lights.

Getting to your point - Yes, get the 2nd Trail Rat for helmet. If something goes wrong, you still have a working light.

Regards

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by bikeCOLORADO
Can you do a write up...a "how-to" with pics on building one of these sets? If you can...I'd like to host it on www.bikeCOLORADO.com and give you full credit for it.

Or at the very least...can you tell us where you got your info on putting it all together?

Thanks!
I second that!

I started thinking about building my own today when I found out the NiteRider Blowtorch or something is almost 400$ US.

Are there cheaper alternatives that are cheaper then the NiteRider that still perform well?