Quantcast

no country for old men

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Has anyone seen it in its limited release?

I wasn't to thrilled with the book, but it was the first time I had read anything by McCarthy.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Woah, hadn't heard of it before but......wow.

Gonna have to see it.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
ya the first time i saw the preview i had no clue what was going on, the more i see the preview it looks like a pretty gnar movie, normally this movie id kinda stray from bu the coen brothers very rarely miss...

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to. Loved the book. It's the second of his I've read, the first was The Road, which made me glad I live in the middle of the biggest nuclear bomb bullseye in the world. I don't know how I've missed the Cormac McCarthy boat for so long.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I liked the book and hope to see the movie soon. McCarthy's books are pretty dark but compared to his latest, _The Road_ , this story is childs-play.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I need to re-read it. It was also my first McCarthy book and I didn't recognize how much depth there was to the story. Midway through The Road I started to realize what I must have missed, and reading the Border Trilogy confirmed it.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Read the book, saw the movie.

Both are really good. The film version follows the book pretty closely.

However, I think a lot of people going into the movie without reading the book or knowing much about it may be disappointed.

It's great though. I will probably see it again.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
That was the third of his I read. I could see it bieng a pretty decent flick if they didn't steer too much from the world McCarthy created.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
good movie overall, but very dark. there's this sense of cold, calculated death (something really inhuman) that's used as a premise for tommy lee jones' character's "awakening" or coming of (old) age. also, it's a very observational movie in the sense that there's very little dialoge; the coen bros do such a kick arse job of capturing that western frontier cowboy mentality where nothing is said if it isn't necessary or useful. this makes the whole movie pretty bleak, though. anyways, good, grisly, well done...it really is the perfect character for both tommy lee jones and javier icantrememberhisname.

it'll never beat the big lebowski for me though

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
good movie overall, but very dark. there's this sense of cold, calculated death (something really inhuman) that's used as a premise for tommy lee jones' character's "awakening" or coming of (old) age. also, it's a very observational movie in the sense that there's very little dialoge; the coen bros do such a kick arse job of capturing that western frontier cowboy mentality where nothing is said if it isn't necessary or useful. this makes the whole movie pretty bleak, though. anyways, good, grisly, well done...it really is the perfect character for both tommy lee jones and javier icantrememberhisname.

it'll never beat the big lebowski for me though
ah the big lebowski all time favs right there... actually i havent seen it lately ill have to check it out tonight or tomarrow

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It was like the book.

I loved the absence of any music throughout the whole movie.

Texas looked beautiful.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
i saw it the last weekend. I thought it was great. excellent characters (I never read the book nor had any idea of the story) I really liked it, aside from it feeling long at the end.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
Havn't seen it or read the book yet, but I read The Road the other day, it would have been much better if it were editted down to about 50 pages. It got so I was hoping they died just so I didn't have to read about them gathering wood for the millionth time, got very tedious.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I haven't read the book so I didn't know what to expect. Great movie. Suspenseful at times and never predictable.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Holy Sheeite! I just saw NCFOM today, and it was amazing.

I am going as Anton for Halloween next year. I am going to take an air hose and and a brass blower from the shop, and I hope I can rent an air tank too. Won't that freak people out when I shoot air at them!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Watched this movie last night.

I'm a little confused...... to say the least. It was good, but like I said I'm confused.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
Finally got around to reading the book, wasn't really too keen on it. I guess I'm not into McCormac's writing style, seems like a modern day Steinbeck. I'll still give the movie a shot, books and movies made about books hardly ever the same.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I wasn't to thrilled with the book, but it was the first time I had read anything by McCarthy.
McCarthy is hard to read, pretty dense stuff and pretty slow moving. Still, the Border Trilogy is an amazing collection and I'm excited to start reading The Road pretty soon. NCFOM is high on the list to read, then see the movie.