Quantcast

no dhr next year????

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
so just looking at the turner site and knowing they only had 1 built up so far just for show, i noticed on the site that it says ETA for the DHR and the RFX is 2010. does this mean there going to be an early 2010 model, theres not going to be a dhr in 2009 at all, or there carring over the 08 untill the DW model comes out

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Apparently they're waiting to release the new DHR until the Daves are truly satisfied, and not until the DHR is finished will they begin work on the RFX.

Good thing I like my current DHR so much that I don't feel in a hurry to get rid of it.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Apparently they're waiting to release the new DHR until the Daves are truly satisfied, and not until the DHR is finished will they begin work on the RFX.

Good thing I like my current DHR so much that I don't feel in a hurry to get rid of it.
im not in a hurry to get rid of mine either, just wondering if there going to continue with the single pivot model for 09 or just cut the line out for the year

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
^ Was in the same situation and I went with a Tracer instead due to how long I was told the wait would be.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I should post the email that i got from one of the people at turner.

Joey

The DHR will not be ready this season. Looking at a 2010 model.

Thanks

Jarett
Sales@Turnerbikes.com
www.Turnerbikes.com
ph.951.677.1711
fx.951.677.1373
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:53 PM
To: sales@turnerbikes.com
Subject: GeneralQuestion

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
() on Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 20:53:28
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

General: Will the new dhr be available to buy during the 2009 season? As in
can I buy one before march of 2009.

Name: joey wyckoff

Email: joeridesbikes@yahoo.com

Phone: 2016552950

Submit: Submit

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i hate to say itEPIC FAIL!!!!

seriously what in the hell were they thinking not offering the DHR on 09 but even more importantly for most people the RFX. :banghead:

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Not as much of an epic fail as releasing something to the public that they are not 100% satisfied with. Personally I think it is great that they are prepared to take the risk of lost sales during 2009 by not releasing something half arsed just to cash in on the fan boys and wait until that have something they are truely happy with.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
It is not an epic fail if they want to hold it from the market, but it is a fail by putting the pics of the frame and all on the site and putting up pics of it completely built on PB. They should have said it would be out in 2010 rather than getting everyones hopes up.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Not as much of an epic fail as releasing something to the public that they are not 100% satisfied with. Personally I think it is great that they are prepared to take the risk of lost sales during 2009 by not releasing something half arsed just to cash in on the fan boys and wait until that have something they are truely happy with.
Agreed. Hopefully it will pay off for them in 2010 when they eventually do release it.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
ya word, i heard the dwlink caused HELLLLAAA flex and mad brake jack, plus the travel isn't being used properly, POOR design imo amirite guys?

edit: green=goo no rootbeer

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
jerseydirt that is exactly what i meant. they make it sound like the release was going to be very soon st interbike and other media locations. then all of a sudden they are will its not going to be this year. in this industry one year is a very long time to wait. i doubt that most anyone is going to wait one year for the frame if they were looking for a new 2009 frame.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Its not like Turner (nor any other bike company) can snap their fingers and get full production up and running instantly even if they do have a perfect design. Wouldn't be surprised if that factored into the delay.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Delaying production until they are satisfied with the DHR, totally understandable. But blowing out the current DHR, and not offering a DH frame for sale until 2010?

What's equally confusing to me is that they would focus on the DHR before the RFX. The market for mid travel bikes is much bigger than high zoot DH frames.

No skin off my back, I'm not the one waiting, definately a headscratcher reading this though.

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I think the fail starts if they elect to not produce the trusty ole 2008 DHR for 2009 and instead opt to not offer a DH bike at all.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wasn't it on here that Turner were getting slagged off for not having had enough prototypes built for testing before releasing a product to market? Well, now you have your wish...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It is a gentlemen agreement between Turner and IH so IH can sell their, now not cool anymore Sundays in 2009 to everybody who wants a DW DH bike. :busted::imstupid:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
DW Link requires the tolerances to be exact. Much more precision than a single pivot. They might be gearing up to make the frames at the level of quality that the design needs.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Its not like Turner (nor any other bike company) can snap their fingers and get full production up and running instantly even if they do have a perfect design. Wouldn't be surprised if that factored into the delay.
I hope it's not just that, I hope they are actually going to get some WC racers to thrash them before they release to public. Otherwise I'm going to hazard a guess that they'll be breaking left right and centre, they're a ridiculously light frame for what they are and IMO something's gotta give.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
DW Link requires the tolerances to be exact. Much more precision than a single pivot. They might be gearing up to make the frames at the level of quality that the design needs.
Whatever. If Ironhorse can build them at a moderately acceptable quality level then Turner's factory will be just fine.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I hope it's not just that, I hope they are actually going to get some WC racers to thrash them before they release to public. Otherwise I'm going to hazard a guess that they'll be breaking left right and centre, they're a ridiculously light frame for what they are and IMO something's gotta give.
Yea these things take time, glad to see they're not rushing it. :rockout:

I don't doubt they'll get the proper testing on it but I only speculated it as a possible factor, not a one and only reason. I'm just saying if you have one holdup in the line (pre-production, prototyping, or production) it can cause a chain reaction and slow the whole process down.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Whatever. If Ironhorse can build them at a moderately acceptable quality level then Turner's factory will be just fine.
You mean the Sunday that took 3 years before it didn't generate play within the first 5 minutes of hard staring at the linkage?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
2010 seems pretty reasonable to me, given the fact that they barely got the first un-heat treated proto finished before interbike. I got flamed a few months back when i wondered if they were cutting it aweful close if they were going for an '09 release date . . . go figure.

They'll make a lot more friends by saying 2010 and maybe having them ready earlier, rather than promising Spring '09 and leaving customers framless until August like Intense and others have done on a few occasions.

As for quality, Turner has always been top-notch and DW is well known for not releasing products until he has full faith in them. The wait will probably be well worth it.

Last edited:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Seem to be a forum full of haters in here. Turner has alway been known for quality frames and I also see the same for Weagle. So everyone stop hatin' and just ride your rigs for another year.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
How long did it take them to build one that didn't kill bearings?
You mean the Sunday that took 3 years before it didn't generate play within the first 5 minutes of hard staring at the linkage?

You can blame it on the design being complicated. I blame it on the factory and the frame component spec.

I'm saying Turner's factory is more competant, DT is very thorough, and DW has learned what to look for / what to avoid through those past shortcomings. They will be just fine.

Last edited:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Here's some food for thought.

Turner releases 5 new bikes at Interbike. 4 of them are ready right now.

The DHR needed another round of prototyping for a number of reasons. I'm not going to speak for Turner, but it's easy to see the bike is ;
1-totally different than any bike before it
2-will get thrashed harder than any other Turner
3-is getting the best possible pivot material that can withstand the riding the DHR will see and not get loosey goosey like a Sunday.

These bikes have been in development for 2 years. Whoopsie on the DHR release.

Sadly, i agree, the RFX should be more important! I think they figured the DHR could make it out in time for race season so getting it built over the winter made sense at one time.

We have plenty of 08 DHRs

Krispy

Last edited:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Might be better for them in the long run. With the economy the way it is right now maybe a 2010 release will be more successful than an earlier one since the markets MAY recover by then. I'm no economist, I'm just going by what I've heard from people smarter than myself.

I think it would be sweet if they ran out of 08 DHRs to do a limited run of the square tubed ones. That frame was just iconic, and could be a cool little twist before the DW edition comes out. I'm sure its not at all feasible though.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
If anybody feels they might be without a ride for 09' and would like to pickup a Med 05' DHR PM me.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I think it would be sweet if they ran out of 08 DHRs to do a limited run of the square tubed ones. That frame was just iconic, and could be a cool little twist before the DW edition comes out. I'm sure its not at all feasible though.
i love my box :) its o so smooth and silky and when i ride it real hard its begs to go harder and faster :brows: