Quantcast

No Fury :( - time to try something new?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well I just spoke to GT USA and they reckon the Fury won't be available until "late fall" at the earliest, probably 2010.

Well I'm an impatient type, and whilst I'd love to try one when they come out, I don't know that I can wait that long.

I'm still rocking an old 2005 GT DHi at the moment, and I love everything about it. My only complaint could be that sometimes my legs ache towards the end of a run, which I think might be because it's part-URT.

Why replace then? I have an itch, and it needs scratching... plus I can easily lose about 1.5lb of weight by scratching it - the DHi isn't massively light, and its proprietry chain device is pretty lardy too. Additionally that chain device has so much slop in it that if I don't replace the frame I need to get some new parts machined up for it by someone.

So, looking for a replacement race frame (I race every other weekend on average!), possibly. My only other DH frame experience really is the 222 I had before this DHi, which I didn't like at all. I love how the DHi genuinely feels like a hardtail when I'm sprinting (especially as pedalling is one of the things I'm good at), yet remains fully active, even with ProPedal turned fully off.

I like the idea of frames with a high pivot and an idler; they'll obviously stay very active under pedalling, but I think they'll tend to bob and sap all of my energy too?

What would you recommend? Is there anything out there that is going to measure up to my expectations?

- seb

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Aren't the Mongoose bikes using the same suspension system as GT and available now? If so that seems like a good choice, everyone that rides one seems to like them. Plus they are cheap, which is nice.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hmmm, I spoke to a prominent member of this forum and was told the Mongooses are a heap of ****e and should be avoided at all cost, pretty much. My thinking had been the same up until that point!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
really high single pivots with pulleys pedal very very well, you wont believe how well they pedal till you try one. just a solid feeling and moves forward AND you can do the same through rock gardens too. you will be amazed as how well it irons things out.

main draw back is that they only work really good on much faster courses, which is not you have in the uk. they SUCK when you try to square things off, which is quite important to do in the uk. not the ideal bike that you want to be throwing around.

i would go with one of the four bars that pedal well, there is quite a lot of choice out there these days.

btw, you going to the busa/busc this weekend?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nah, I'm off to Vigo this weekend :)

Why do they suck when you try to square things off? What do you mean by square things off, cutting late and "t-boning" into a corner?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Couple things, the Mongoose Freedrive system (not a true URT, btw) is actually somewhat different than the GT set up, altho obviously pretty similar in overall concept. However, I believe the Boot'r has some different geo numbers than the Fury, so it's something to consider. Transcend actually posted a ride review of a Boot'r awhile back, and seemed to like it just fine.

And while I can only speak from riding a Super Khyber for last year or so, Mongoose frames are as good as any of the other bike frames I've ridden (i.e. Spesh & SC), if not better in some ways. I don't know where your "friend" got his info, but I think many other "prominent RM members" would respectfully disagree with that assessment.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well, the guy who told me what he told me normally is respected for his opinion on here I think, but what you say raises an interesting matter... I'll say no more! ;)

Would welcome some other opinions on the EC-D/boot'r.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Seb, You might want to check out Katipo bikes. Do a search on here for pics. They're based on the Lahar but no gearbox, high single pivot with idler, made of CroMo and very light. Can do custom geo.

In fact I'm in the process of ordering one right now!!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Seb, You might want to check out Katipo bikes. Do a search on here for pics. They're based on the Lahar but no gearbox, high single pivot with idler, made of CroMo and very light. Can do custom geo.

In fact I'm in the process of ordering one right now!!
For yourself? Finished with the Dark, or in addition?

Cheers jackalope.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
DHKid is probably talking about how high pivots tend to have so much CS growth that it's difficult to slap em into turns. I've spent a reasonable amount of time on various high pivots riding both wide open and tight tech riding. They are screaming fast when you're going straight, but you really cannot slap the bike into a turn.

The Mongooses have great internet reviews and it has pretty much the same suspension design as your DHi(right? I think so). I have seen a few guys with EC-D's around here with bikes that got really flexy in the back after a season (maybe something about undersized bearings and soft bearing surfaces?), but they were the orange and white frames.

I'd think if you're looking for something light that pedals well, a well placed singlepivot or a short-link fourbar would be the way to go - staying away from FSR which is real mushy when you're sprinting. The V10, the Socom (w/ the new angular contact upgrade), and the Session88 all are real lightweight, pedal really well and can ride tight woods.

Also, the Revolt is going to be shipping soon I hear and looks VERY promising. It's supposed to be silly light and you can adjust it for riding tight tracks or wide open braaap.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
lucky bastard!

yea, square things off = changing direction quickly. like missing out a large part of a berm and only using the last bit to do all the cornering. in tight stuff, because the wheel base increases quite significantly it gets a bit tedious. its just basically more a plough bike then finesse.

you could think about a banshee/mythic legend. hopefully hitting production in spring.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
lucky bastard!

yea, square things off = changing direction quickly. like missing out a large part of a berm and only using the last bit to do all the cornering. in tight stuff, because the wheel base increases quite significantly it gets a bit tedious. its just basically more a plough bike then finesse.

you could think about a banshee/mythic legend. hopefully hitting production in spring.

I went with the legend and from the info I gathered it may be a really nice choice. For more info you should bug Socket as he has the proto (there were 2 more on RM if I'm not right). There are some changes to the protos but from where I see it - for the better. The frames should be hitting freeborn in early June. They have a nice preorder deal on their site now so if you hurry you may catch the nice price (1499Ł).

I'd also look at the antidote bike (look at sicklines art) as it will be crazy light(the 3150g frame may be even lighter) and from what I get from friends will pedal extremely well. You also get some custom geo so you can fine tune it to your reqs

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I find myself looking more and more at Socoms at the moment... I can get one at a good price which helps.

Also, anyone know when the new M6 evo or whatever it's going to be called is due? Or when the Socom will be getting a makeover, if at all?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
ever considered a giant glory? not the lightest, but it withstood a year of riding and non-maintenance quite well. i never liked the giants before and i bought it because of its price rather then being fully convinced. now i'm liking it so much, that i think about buying the 2010 model by the end of this season.
price and specification are ok, the bike itself is a solid performer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
since you're on that side of the pond, why not a Sunn or LaPierre? Both very nice bikes, unavailable to us supposedly fat lazy americans, both very high on my personal list.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Sessions are sooooooooo common already. The same reasoning is all that's stopping me from buying a Socom at the moment...

Don't know much about pricing/availability on Sunn, I'll have a look. Like Lapierres, I'll investigate that too.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
From what I've read on the forums so far, the m6 evo is a team only bike right now, and I THINK it was said that it hasn't been decided whether it's going to make it to general production.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sessions are sooooooooo common already. The same reasoning is all that's stopping me from buying a Socom at the moment...

Don't know much about pricing/availability on Sunn, I'll have a look. Like Lapierres, I'll investigate that too.
Lapierre dh-920 is now 2999 euro or 2750Ł which is a crazy price. If you're not buying a complete it's very expensive(the complete bike is priced a bit better considering the parts).
Also think about getting the bigger one if you are 5.8'' plus, maybe even shorter as it is rather small. Even Dany Hart rides the bigger one.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, pricing has put me off the Lapierre. Saw a few Sunns this weekend, didn't ride any but the head-angle looked crazy steep on them? Were utterly silent on track though, which appealed. Took a bit of a fancy to Mondrakers as well, classic 4-bar horst, what's not to like. Look a bit heavy though. Anyway, I think I've made my decision, about to order, and I'll put some pics up when I get her.... :D

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Seb, dont consider a session 88, ive had mine 6 months, and race nowhere near as much as you, and mines off to trek for a replacement hopefully due to denting. i hear Chris Sindens in dead already, after 1 race, so id go with something sturdier for sure!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Interesting Muttely, I see so many at the races, going to be a lot of unhappy people soon by the sounds of things! Good thing that that's not what I've chosen then :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Sorry dude, money already spent, + not interested :)

I've gone for a.... nah, you'll have to wait, lol. Don't see many of them about in the UK (in fact I don't think I've ever seen one) but I saw a couple in Vigo, and I think they're fairly widespread across the pond...

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Sorry dude, money already spent, + not interested :)

I've gone for a.... nah, you'll have to wait, lol. Don't see many of them about in the UK (in fact I don't think I've ever seen one) but I saw a couple in Vigo, and I think they're fairly widespread across the pond...
nevermind, missed the fairly widespread bit

maybe a sunn/commencal :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nope, Commencal too common/bandwagony. I DO like the Sunns, but couldn't find anywhere that sold them (here or abroad!) so quickly lost interest, ha. Head angle looks steep too?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
So is it europop? like one of those weirdo ones that are disturbingly cheap, super good just nobody can remove their heads from their arses and buy one?

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Nope, Commencal too common/bandwagony. I DO like the Sunns, but couldn't find anywhere that sold them (here or abroad!) so quickly lost interest, ha. Head angle looks steep too?
good point, i think the uk importer/distributor of sunn stopped for 2009 because of warranty claims on 2008 versions

can pick them up quite easily here in france though