Quantcast

No "Hit and Run on Video" Thread yet?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Frankly, I'm not a fan of being put at the mercy of a-hole drivers, so I avoid taking roads which I cannot avoid blocking drivers.

But it does happen.

I was thinking about how I avoid riding Skyline Blvd in San Mateo, one of the prettiest roads you can imagine. But a friend did a big group ride through there. While he and anyone else can ride that road as often as they wish, the idea that his life is under risk by impatient drivers is abhorrent.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think that guy was very well paying attention, and did exactly what he intended to do. Then he reported his car stolen. iLOLed. Looks like he's on probation and drugs...he'll be in jail for a while.

Sometimes I think they should allow police profiling, just for acura integras.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Interesting essay.
The big question I have at this time is whether Mr. Bucchere's conduct was indeed criminal? If he was indeed going 35mph in a 25mph zone, was this reckless riding or just negligence? And was it criminal negligence or was it just negligence?

A man died, so the result is horrible. But in criminal law, don't we look foremost at the conduct that gave rise to the result? If a car driver drove down that hill and was going 35mph, would the DA's office be considering prosecution? If a car driver entered the intersection on a yellow light, as it appears this bicyclist did, would the DA be considering prosecution?
The first question is a legal distinction I don't fully understand. I suppose it means was Bucchere riding like a jackass (criminal negligence) or an idiot (just negligence).

The comparison to a car driver was doing 35mph is specious. I'm positive I could make an emergency stop within 100 feet (http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistinfo.html), but on a vehicle with a 1 inch tire contact patch and flexy caliper arms, I don't think so.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
How about we NOT argue about whether bikes are harder to stop than cars? It depends on too many factors and we don't need to spread any more anti-bike ammunition. Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have to disagree with you on this point, OG.

I post heavily on the Bay Area Riders Forum, a Norcal motorcycling forum, and there is regular discussion about handling capabilities and emergency reactions.

There have been several discussions if motorcycles or cars have better braking in various circumstances, and it has been very informative for me in terms of safer riding.

If someone thinks that a road bike has better stopping than a car at 35mph, then we should discuss this point. Maybe not in our typical bantering, though.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Man, you damn people are killing me here. I am picking up my new road bike in a week, the day I am supposed to get out of my cast. Where I live now, I can do some great routes and stay on back roads without ever seeing many cars. I have not ridden road in years, and I finally decided to give another go,
and now thread after thread of this infuriating crap.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I keep my blinking red light on the back of my bike for dusk/dawn rides. I'm thinking its going to be switched 'on' any time I'm on a road from now on.