Quantcast

No lift service for DH bikes at Vail?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I am not sure about you guys but this does not sound good:

From Vails website "...Family cruisers can ride the gondola, explore the forests on two wheels enjoy a mountaintop barbeque. Downhill junkies can ride uphill then seek out the most technical terrain for going down."

If anything it makes the decision of where to get a season pass easier.

Mar 9, 2006
denver (ish), CO
DHCorky said:

From Vails website "...Family cruisers can ride the gondola, explore the forests on two wheels enjoy a mountaintop barbeque. Downhill junkies can ride uphill then seek out the most technical terrain for going down."

If anything it make the decision easy of where to get a season pass.
that's so gey

DHCorky said:

If anything it make the decision easy of where to get a season pass.
I think this means cruisers can ride the gondola up and back down and DH'rs can ride the gondola up the hill then ride the trails back down. I don't think Vail would ban DH bikes from the gondola and still let them ride the trails.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Mike Buell said:
I think this means cruisers can ride the gondola up and back down and DH'rs can ride the gondola up the hill then ride the trails back down. I don't think Vail would ban DH bikes from the gondola and still let them ride the trails.
I am thinking the same thing you are. Just some of the riders around me(who seem to be very negative) keep insisting they have heard Vail is not allowing DH bikes anymore.

The alpine terrain that makes Vail famous for winter sports lends itself perfectly to unforgettable mountain biking in summer. Vail has hosted two Mountain Bike World Championships, but our trails suit both the amateur and the seasoned professional. Family cruisers can ride the gondola to the top of the mountain, explore the forests and trails on two wheels and then enjoy a mountaintop barbeque. Downhill junkies can ride uphill, then seek out the most challenging and technical terrain available for their trip down. Equipment is readily available for rental or purchase at local shops.
If this is what you saw on their site it means that DHers can ride thie gondola. Though it is from the 2004 site. Click on the trail map link and it will show you the '04 map. The actual '06 site is stil under construction. http://vail.snow.com

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Brutal. I'm counting on Vail letting me drag my DH bike up on the gondola. The trails better improve if they expect people to ride up.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Regardless of what happens, I'm gald I built my Nomad up this year.

I don't think Vail would eliminate the DH'r gondola ride.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
just go to keystone. I heard(from the guy who is building them) they are having 3 new trails built by someone(shane from road 34) who knows what he's doing.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
I heard some possible race venues returning to Vail Mtn.....Don't even kid about no G-ride up. Now if I can only keep my brother from pissing them off.....

Spectrum90

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
I don't think so, they would close vail gondola (and trials) for dh, they would loose so much money. That dosen't make any sense

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
EVILTWIN said:
I heard some possible race venues returning to Vail Mtn.....Don't even kid about no G-ride up. Now if I can only keep my brother from pissing them off.....
Yeah I heard he like totally punched this guy in the face and the guy was like "no... please" and then rob stepped on his neck and bitch slapped him repeatedly for no reason while clubbing a baby seal and pouring motor oil on a bald eagles nest. Something like that.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Spectrum90 said:
I don't think so, they would close vail gondola (and trials) for dh, they would loose so much money. That dosen't make any sense
You clearly have no grasp on how much it costs Vail to run that gondola, or how much money DH brings in to an Intrawest resort.

Fart in a tornado may be an apt description.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
yeah but they're gonna run the gondola regardless so there would be no reason to not allow dhers up. Especially since they already have legitimate dh specific trails.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Transcend said:
You clearly have no grasp on how much it costs Vail to run that gondola, or how much money DH brings in to an Intrawest resort.

Fart in a tornado may be an apt description.
:stupid:

This is one reason why DH should be very very careful in the image it portrays when riding places like Vail. It only takes on dip$hit riding recklessly past one rich old lady to get the gondy shut down for real. :nopity:

R

RiDurbin

Alright guys. Whoever wrote that copy, just screwed up in their wording. Carefully read the paragraph. When it says downhillers can "ride uphill", they are referring to riding up in the gondola. Not pedaling your bike up the mountain.

Yeah, I know it's not that clear. But if you put it all in context, that's what it has to be.

The alpine terrain that makes Vail famous for winter sports lends itself perfectly to unforgettable mountain biking in summer. Vail has hosted two Mountain Bike World Championships, but our trails suit both the amateur and the seasoned professional. Family cruisers can ride the gondola to the top of the mountain, explore the forests and trails on two wheels and then enjoy a mountaintop barbeque. Downhill junkies can ride uphill, then seek out the most challenging and technical terrain available for their trip down. Equipment is readily available for rental or purchase at local shops.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DHblur said:
yeah but they're gonna run the gondola regardless so there would be no reason to not allow dhers up. Especially since they already have legitimate dh specific trails.
There would be a good reason.

A rich old lady who owns a condo or 3 there complained that some muddy kid on a downhill bike in armour bumped her Jag in the parking lot. Or he "scared" here as he rode by. Or he was rude while in line at the ticket window. Or he told her old man to sod off when the above mentioned jag cut off his 10 year old Mazda 323 in the parking lot etc.

Their 1 condo sale brings in more than mountain biking will all summer.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
At most resorts I always feel I need to tread lightly. It would be very easy for them to just stop letting bikes up the lift. Until the riders start filling up the hotels and every chair on the way up we mean nothing to the resorts as any form of income.

I see to many riders cruising around like they own the places. Strangely these are the riders I rarely see up on the trails :think:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

This is one reason why DH should be very very careful in the image it portrays when riding places like Vail. It only takes on dip$hit riding recklessly past one rich old lady to get the gondy shut down for real. :nopity:
Old Rich ladies shouldn't be on the DH trails if they're marked correctly. besides, the hard core DH stuff Hikers don't like anyway.... its those silly XC trails.