Quantcast

No Mammoth National!

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Thats what the word was going around the firestone race. I registered for a media pass and got this from mammoth: Thanks for you interest in NORBA. Unfortunately, Mammoth will not be hosting this event this year due to the tremendous snow pack. USA cycling is looking for a new venue right now.

Amanda Woolley

Communications Coordinator

awoolley@mammoth-mtn.com

--------------------------
Someone asked Tom speigial sp? and he said that it is true and they will have a national somewhere else that same weekend, wouldnt say where, Maybe Durrango, Idaho? thats my guess

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
no wait,

"which national venue is best for whistler?"

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Leave it to USA cycling to have the resort itself telling eveyone one. It's amazing to me they didn't have a plan in place if the snow up there was like it is. It's not the first time they're had issues with snow up there in July. Just another example of the poor leadrership at USAC.

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
Reliable sources tell me that Snow Summit will have a triumphant come back by hosting the Championships.

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
so I called mammoth and this is what they said "it is canceled, BUT were losing snow faster than we thought we would, norba is looking for a new venue but if we lose enough snow it will still be here, were hoping to still have it here"
they they went on to say "wait on canceling the motel room right now. and to just wait and see what happens".

your guess is as good as mine:rolleyes:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
How about a drinking contest?
We can do timed keg stands, boat races, even the tried and true "Drunk and fight."

Tattooo, the first fat champ...

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Mike Buell said:
If it ended up at Idaho which is a killer course then crankworx would only be about 8hrs away.
I would fall out of my chair surprised if they ended up at Schweitzer in Idaho. A falling out of sorts is why they are not on the schedule for 2006 and probably never will be again unless there is some extreme change in the way the place is managed and they aren't out to rip off racers and the public in general. That almost turned into a rant huh!? *rant off*:mumble:

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I remember hearing something about they were looking at another venue in cali. And as of right now, mammoth is the only place for chair lift access. I talked to someone at sea otter that lives up in mammoth, and he said that the snow melts very fast, I personally think the only problem would be the XC course, and since thats where the money is, its priority.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
I wouldn't mind seeing a comeback for Durango, its a perfect course to hold a national! Becuase of timing I would love to see a Shwietzer Idaho race, also becuase the course rocks and i need redemption!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
merrrrjig said:
I remember hearing something about they were looking at another venue in cali. And as of right now, mammoth is the only place for chair lift access. I talked to someone at sea otter that lives up in mammoth, and he said that the snow melts very fast, I personally think the only problem would be the XC course, and since thats where the money is, its priority.

They've cleared snow off the course up there before, in 95 there was still like 10 feet up top they had to snowblow to get the kamakazi open for the race, they had to clear a good chunk of the XC course also.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I was really looking forward to racing the Kamikaze this year. I hope the snow melts fast enought for that to happen.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Zutroy said:
They've cleared snow off the course up there before, in 95 there was still like 10 feet up top they had to snowblow to get the kamakazi open for the race, they had to clear a good chunk of the XC course also.
Thats also when mountain biking was big and norba/people cared

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
*NORBA decides to go with Mammoth, and actually realizes there is too much snow a whole week before the event. Pressured by time and no backup plan, Frosty decides to simply mark the courses out on the snow- with gasoline, and light it, to clear that pesky snow and dry out the soil. With all the seeping CO2 from the active volcano, the fire is much bigger than expected, wiping out the entire NORBA staff and everyone's official 4x track builder and Rock Shox tester. Since there is no vegetation at Mammoth, the mountain looks the same a month later when all the snow naturally melts. USACycling, forced to find a new director, hires Eric Carter to have the race at Camp Woodward. DH is stoked, XC doesn't notice, this would never happen, but it's fun to dream every now and then.*

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Here is an article I found of Mountain Bike Action's Website.

CHANGE OF VENUE FOR U.S. NATIONALS!

Right now the new location is looking like Angel Fire or Sonoma, with Vail or Durango possibilities as well. It all depends on whether these places can get the manpower to put the event on in the relatively short time necessary.

USA Cycling says, "We are currently negotiating with alternate venues and expect to name a new site this week or next. Once a replacement venue is confirmed, we will issue a formal announcement."