Quantcast

No Mammoth National!

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
blt2ride said:
Here is an article I found of Mountain Bike Action's Website.

CHANGE OF VENUE FOR U.S. NATIONALS!

Right now the new location is looking like Angel Fire or Sonoma, with Vail or Durango possibilities as well. It all depends on whether these places can get the manpower to put the event on in the relatively short time necessary.

USA Cycling says, "We are currently negotiating with alternate venues and expect to name a new site this week or next. Once a replacement venue is confirmed, we will issue a formal announcement."
Sonoma is really close to me, but I hope they don't have it there. That would be embarassing.

Angelfire.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
2006 USA CYCLING MOUNTAIN BIKE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS TO BE RELOCATED

Contact: Andy Lee (Tel.) 719.866.4867 (Mobile) 719.231.2041 (E-mail)
alee@usacycling.org Website: www.usacycling.org

Colorado Springs, Colo. (May 2, 2006) - Due to massive snowfall on Mammoth
Mountain this winter, USA Cycling will be relocating its 2006 Mountain Bike
National Championships scheduled for July 20-23.

After a record 664 inches of snow fell this season, Mammoth Mountain has
reported a base depth of nearly 20 feet as of May 1 - a figure that ultimately
put the resort's ability to host a national championship-caliber event in
jeopardy.

"Looking at our snowpack today, I can confidently say we are unable to host a
mountain bike event to the quality we are all accustomed to,"commented Bill
Cockroft, senior vice president of operations at Mammoth Mountain. "It was a
difficult decision, but ultimately we believe we owe it to the mountain bike
community to make sure the event continues at the level and standards expected
by USA Cycling."

USA Cycling is currently negotiating with several venues to replace Mammoth
Mountain and a decision is expected to be announced shortly. We will send out an
announcement email when a venue is finalized.

The dates of the 2006 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships will
remain unchanged.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I remember when Mammoth was "forced" to snow-blow the course, or lose all future options of hosting an event. They did a great job then. It appears to me that changing the event dates messed this up. You have a hunch that Mammoth, being where/what it is, will get lots of snow, and time is needed for nature to do its job of melting it. Sure doesn't sound like Mammoth's fault there. The blame for this fiasco rests on USAC's shoulders by moving the event date earlier in the year. And I was going to volunteer this year as well!!!

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
mantispf2000 said:
I remember when Mammoth was "forced" to snow-blow the course, or lose all future options of hosting an event. They did a great job then. It appears to me that changing the event dates messed this up. You have a hunch that Mammoth, being where/what it is, will get lots of snow, and time is needed for nature to do its job of melting it. Sure doesn't sound like Mammoth's fault there. The blame for this fiasco rests on USAC's shoulders by moving the event date earlier in the year. And I was going to volunteer this year as well!!!
I think the reason USAC/ NORBA moved it up to the July date was to make it line up with other country's National Champ races. That way it could be used as a qualifying event for Worlds, instead of it being after worlds and having the US team picked by points/coach's decision etc.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
As much as I'd personally like to see this event be back east, I hope for all of the teams and riders' sake that it's somewhere up in the PNW. It'd be a lot easier drive up to BC than having to drive from Anglefire, CO, etc. I hope someone at Norba/USAC looks at the event calender and and then looks at a map and puts 1 & 1 together. Here's an interesting thought...split the flippin gravity venue from the XC one...then the gravity events can be at a smaller venue and the XC events can be at a venue w/o a lift...but that'll never happen...

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
stiksandstones said:
I heard this morning there will be no replacement event, the question is if I trust this person?
That'd certainly be interesting...go Norba, yay...

-ska todd

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ya, would be quite sad if that was the case. It is hard enough getting venues to put on an event these days...especially in May, but hell, there is a national in fontucky, so anything is possible.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
stiksandstones said:
Ya, would be quite sad if that was the case. It is hard enough getting venues to put on an event these days...especially in May, but hell, there is a national in fontucky, so anything is possible.

If they can't find a place why not just move the damn thing back later in the year at mammoth, high up on the mountain is still going to habe snow but the canyon side should be clear up to bullet in mid to late augest.

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
b stevens said:
so I called mammoth and this is what they said "it is canceled, BUT were losing snow faster than we thought we would, norba is looking for a new venue but if we lose enough snow it will still be here, were hoping to still have it here"
they they went on to say "wait on canceling the motel room right now. and to just wait and see what happens".

your guess is as good as mine:rolleyes:
Damnit, I want it to be in Mammoth I live right there damnit, it will be so easy for me

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
sonoma would make sense their going to be there the week before why not just do back to back weekends. from what mammoth said to me, I would'nt be suprised if it ended up back at mammoth. maybe mammoth does'nt want to spend a bunch of money on removing snow so they cancled and when norba can't find another venue, mammoth will say have it here what were not removing any snow you'll have to work around it. they said its melting really fast.
a few thoughts from me.:mumble:

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
This is kind of off topic, but why doesn't WY or MT step up and have a good race venue? I assume they don't have nearly the land management bureaucracy of CO, and they have to have some gnarly terrain to build on. Look at Jackson Hole or Big Sky Country :eek:

DHanamal said:
This is kind of off topic, but why doesn't WY or MT step up and have a good race venue? I assume they don't have nearly the land management bureaucracy of CO, and they have to have some gnarly terrain to build on. Look at Jackson Hole or Big Sky Country :eek:
I've been wondering the same thing the last few years. There is so much territory up there and a big time lack of rules.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
DHanamal said:
Nobody lives in Montana and Wyoming.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I think NORBA needs to find a venue that can host the event before the World Championships. Wouldn't you want to find out your National Champs before the Worlds so you can send your top riders? It is much better than having coaches and a point system deciding who goes to represent your country.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DHCorky said:
I think NORBA needs to find a venue that can host the event before the World Championships. Wouldn't you want to find out your National Champs before the Worlds so you can send your top riders? It is much better than having coaches and a point system deciding who goes to represent your country.
So 1 race is a better way to select the best riders, rather than multiple races across different venues over a longer period of time?

Your logic is drastically flawed.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
motomike said:
why not make the last nmbs race the national championship as well?
Up until 2004 thats how they did it. But it seemed kind of lame to award a National Champion prize to the guy who finished in 9th place behind a bunch of foreigners.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Transcend said:
So 1 race is a better way to select the best riders, rather than multiple races across different venues over a longer period of time?

Your logic is drastically flawed.
True using a series of races to decide a National Champion is the best way.

NORBA is awarding a National Champion based on one race. It only makes sense to use that race to choose who goes to worlds.

NORBA uses the Nationals to qualify riders for the National Championship. Then you have a race of the top riders to decide the National Champions. Seems kind of after the fact to have this race after the World Championships.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DHCorky said:
True using a series of races to decide a National Champion is the best way.

NORBA is awarding a National Champion based on one race. It only makes sense to use that race to choose who goes to worlds.

NORBA uses the Nationals to qualify riders for the National Championship. Then you have a race of the top riders to decide the National Champions. Seems kind of after the fact to have this race after the World Championships.
The thing is the "national champion" title doesn't really mean anything. The qualifying for the championships is the same points syetm they use for worlds (more or less). This makes much more sense than the national championship one day title.

That is all it is, a title. It shouldn't qualify you for anything, because it's pointless.