Quantcast

No mas de tacos por favor

dudeman

Chimp
Mar 28, 2008
Oly
Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before. I actually did a search first but got way too many hits. I need some strong DH rims for riding areas with drops and rocks and because the fact that I crash a lot. If I have to choose strength over weight I am fine with that. Anyone have good recommendations by personal experience? Thanks

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before. I actually did a search first but got way too many hits. I need some strong DH rims for riding areas with drops and rocks and because the fact that I crash a lot. If I have to choose strength over weight I am fine with that. Anyone have good recommendations by personal experience? Thanks
Arrow DHX's laced with 13 guage spokes to Hadley hubs. I've done around 30 days at Whistler (over two years) with this combo and haven't had any troubles. I'm 275 w/ gear and don't really "pick" my lines very well most of the time.

It's a great training wheelset cause I have the sticky Arrow Ramped Bite tires on 'em as well (1650g per tire!!!)...So my wheelset is pretty close to 10 pounds (or more....sigh...). But it's bombproof. And it feels really good when I toss on my Mavic 823's with 1200g Kenda's. I drop 5 lbs. really fast that way!!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Arrow DHX's laced with 13 guage spokes to Hadley hubs. I've done around 30 days at Whistler (over two years) with this combo and haven't had any troubles. I'm 275 w/ gear and don't really "pick" my lines very well most of the time.

It's a great training wheelset cause I have the sticky Arrow Ramped Bite tires on 'em as well (1650g per tire!!!)...So my wheelset is pretty close to 10 pounds (or more....sigh...). But it's bombproof. And it feels really good when I toss on my Mavic 823's with 1200g Kenda's. I drop 5 lbs. really fast that way!!
hmmm....i cracked arrow dhx rims front and rear back in the day when i was just a little guy(160 with gear).....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
General consensus is that the two strongest rims around are the Arrows and Intense (Sun) Mag 30s/Doubletracks. Never used the Arrows, but the Mag30s I have are unbreakable. It would take something big to seriously upset them. They weigh a ton compared to other options, but they are bombproof for sure.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
I've seen a mag 30 separated and heartshaped.
WTF i know.
The guy cased out a ravine gap with a deadly wood landing with a horrible lip if you come up short. He did just that. Shattered his wrist. Yuk.
Other than that you could run a mag 30 over with a steamroller and not have a problem.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
The trouble I had had with Mag 30/D-trakcs is that they are so stiff they it's hard to keep the spokes from detensioning and that they tend to crack at the eyelets.

Most will agree I think that Mavic 729's are the way to go.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The trouble I had had with Mag 30/D-trakcs is that they are so stiff they it's hard to keep the spokes from detensioning and that they tend to crack at the eyelets.

Most will agree I think that Mavic 729's are the way to go.
Hmmm...I've seen more 729/321s cracked at the eyelets than Doubletracks. 729s are always a good choice. Seems like not many people run them anymore, but they are great- strong, not too heavy, nice size.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
arrow DHXs if your concern is strength. They are, simply put, strong. They are not, however, light.

If you want a smart, light+strong wheelset, 721s or 729s are a good way to go. I never had problems with my 321s. Right now I run DHXs (admittedly they are 24") and despite numerous pinch flats from running 15-20psi, they are in great shape.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I just swapped out the rims on my D321's after six years of use. The dings in the sidewalls finally started to show cracks. They always held a bead.

I had a pair of Atom Lab's Trailpimp wheels that didn't last a season. I also had an Arrow DHX that was too small and wouldn't hold a tire. The bead kept popping out while trying to inflate it. I've seen Doublewides shaped like stop signs after a season.

So I use Mavics.