Quantcast

No more Big Bear

Romic tech

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
cal.
Anybody else heard that Snow Summit is getting sued and will not have any Downhill races next year. This is really going to suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
WTF - That would REALLY suck... I had a blast there last year and was really looking forward to this years race (one of very few I wanted to do). Give us info as you find out more details...

These lawsuits are getting retarded.. :(

R

Rabie

I think Pegboy is actually the one suing. From what I know his complaints seem pretty legitimate, but for obvious reasons he didn't really want to discuss them on the board. If anyone is really interested, just PM him.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
IF his claims are substantiated maybe you can tell us what you know without involving him. I don't know if he can even talk about it legally anyway.

If they (Snow Summmit) did something wrong, they should pay up, correct the problem and resume standard operations.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
The idea of sueing anything related to the downhilling community is so foreign to me I just cant comprehend any complaint (legitimate or not) big enough that would mean shutting down a place that provides a service as great as lift access bike riding in the summer time. It would be a shame if this goes through. I know if my local area got shut down because of law suits I would flip on the person that caused it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Is this regarding the human Lawndart jumps TBB put in? They don't have a clue how to make a jump, but is suing the answer?

TBB does very little in the way of decent construction and doesn't seem to even listen to the DH riders ideas either, that does piss me off about them.

What they do have is good ability to run timing equipment and promote MTB racing, and despite their ills this is more important IMO.

I was going to get back into racing this year and do the AmCup series, but it looks like that isn't happening. This sucks guys, really sucks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ok if it is a forum member suing, shame on you.

In any case, frivolous lawsuits are the bane of society. If you got hurt riding your bike (whether it is bad jumps, bad trail maintenance, i don't care) it is YOUR FAULT. Anything short of a lift breaking and you crashing 100 feet to the ground is 100% your fault. It is a risky sport, deal with it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:
Ok if it is a forum member suing, shame on you. Frivolous lawsuits are the bane of society. If you got hurt riding your bike (whether it is bad jumps, bad trail maintenance, i don't care) it is YOUR FAULT. Anything short of a lift breaking and you crashing 100 feet to the ground is 100% your fault. It is a risky sport, deal with it.
Hmm...

While I am against frivilous lawsuits, I think if something was just really dangerous on a bike trail that should not have been there that caused some serious damage, i wouldnt have a problem with it. For example a jump that led to a cliff with spikes at the bottom or something. Or a knifegarden instead of a rockgarden.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Transcend said:
Ok if it is a forum member suing, shame on you.

In any case, frivolous lawsuits are the bane of society. If you got hurt riding your bike (whether it is bad jumps, bad trail maintenance, i don't care) it is YOUR FAULT. Anything short of a lift breaking and you crashing 100 feet to the ground is 100% your fault. It is a risky sport, deal with it.
I am entirely with you on that one.
People don't learn how to deal properly with **** it seems. They know only one approach: Let's sue someone and make some money out of it.
Greed makes me puke

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The lawsuit, if it exists, might have NOTHING to do with biking. Maybe a skiier or hiker sued...maybe someone was mangled by the lift. Maybe the ensuing financial problems will close down summer operatiosn. We don't really know...not time to jump to the frivolous lawsuit by a biker soapbox yet.

Although I am eyeballing a leap in that direction.

MD

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Rabie said:
I think Pegboy is actually the one suing.
That guy is just plain mean. He's been taunting me with his prosthetic leg for years. Once he even threatened that he was going to kick my ass with one leg tied behind his back. That's not cool. I can still hear him yelling at me from the lifts. "I'm gonna kill you, then I'm gonna sue Big bear."

Let's just hope this karma thing is real.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
W4S said:
That guy is just plain mean. He's been taunting me with his prosthetic leg for years. Once he even threatened that he was going to kick my ass with one leg tied behind his back. That's not cool. I can still hear him yelling at me from the lifts. "I'm gonna kill you, then I'm gonna sue Big bear."

You're lying.

A real Freegimper would never do anything like that.

MD

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
W4S said:

BWAAAHAHA!!!

No really though, this has to be a rumor, or I'm gonna **** myself (not joking).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
downhillzeypher said:
BWAAAHAHA!!!

No really though, this has to be a rumor, or I'm gonna **** myself (not joking).
Do you own a digital camera?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well next will be snowshoe then diablo then whistler...............i just dont give a rats ass anymore. the people that sue are gonna burn in a firey pit of hell anyway.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There is a fine line between personal responsiblity and the mountain being liable.
When I lived in PA, a local mountain opened for bikes. They routed the bike trail over a bridge designed for skiers. The planks of the bridge ran parallel to the direction of traffic and were spaced far enough apart so a tire could get caught. Of course a biker hit this bridge at high speed and went flying over the bars.

My point is, there IS a possible scenario in which the mountain should be held responsible.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i agree with that as well. but the problems coming up as of recent are getting out of hand. Sure the park needs to maintain the facilities and make sure they are safe but even in the case of the lawndart jump that would be a little retarded to sue over.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
biggins said:
well next will be snowshoe then diablo then whistler...............i just dont give a rats ass anymore. the people that sue are gonna burn in a firey pit of hell anyway.
unless your jewish. then your safe.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Lets see: you are encouraged to ride your bike in the streets in downtown chicago when sidewalks are crowded. So I was riding in the street like I was supposed to, and accidentally ran into a public transportation bus. Because I was told the ride in the street, and the bus is owned by the city, im going to sue the city. Its not my fault I wasnt paying attention, Its the city's for having busses where they tell me to ride :blah:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I have a friend who lives in Big Bear and works as a ski instructor at the mountain. Right now she has only heard that the mountain is considering not opening during the summer months because their cost of insurance is so high now that it almost isn't luctative enough to be worth the risk of getting sued. She wasn't sure if there is a lawsuit pending, but this issue isn't just about a lawsuit, it's about the high cost of liability insurance also.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That's the third place in CA that's been sued so far this fall. Sandhill Ranch, Calabasas, and now Big Bear. Great. Boy oh boy, do I love this country I live in. Any idea when or where we can find the whole story on this lawsuit? Does this thing really exist or is this a sick joke?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
buildyourown said:
There is a fine line between personal responsiblity and the mountain being liable.
When I lived in PA, a local mountain opened for bikes. They routed the bike trail over a bridge designed for skiers. The planks of the bridge ran parallel to the direction of traffic and were spaced far enough apart so a tire could get caught. Of course a biker hit this bridge at high speed and went flying over the bars.

My point is, there IS a possible scenario in which the mountain should be held responsible.
I disagree. You look before you leap. You do not hit a bridge at high speed unless you have looked at it in advance. IE: even in yoru scenario, it was rider error in a dangerous sport. NEXT.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
buildyourown said:

that was in mountain bike mag a few years back right?
a deffective stunt or something of that nature would be the only reason to sue a mountain unless the chairlift malfunctioned.
but duh its dh its dangerous
know your limits and abide by them.
i got effed up on a lawn dart table jump at ragged mt a in 2003 but i got up eventually and learned not to hit it at 40