Quantcast

No more pictures of my rides, with a camera at least....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Lightning flashed on the road ahead, in the gray skies of Eastern Washington. Right before us around 50 miles out of Wenatchee where me and Serial Midget would ride. Usually a forboding sign however considering the high average temperatures of the area we were to ride in, we considered it a good sign. Perhaps we were in store for some cooler temperatures for a tough little fire road climb with 3400 feet of elevation in 14 miles.
Trailhead parked, geared up, ready to roll....
Considering i've been feeling pretty strong this year and have been dabbling in hammering with my middle ring, i kept up a fairly good pace at the start. Wind strong, heart beating a little fast but still feeling good, a half hour of this Midge turns and asks if i'm racing. With my muscles tightening particularly my back i felt this was a good time to back off the pedals a tad. After an hour of towing hard in a the middle ring i was educated on the difference between anorobic and aerobic effort and the consequences thereof. Ole Master Midge was telling me that by staying in my middle ring i was actually burning muscles and that by doing the granny spin i would actually keep my heart rate down and not put such a burden on my system.
It's funny but for years i've been riding correctly in an aerobic fashion, but always seemed to pig on climbs. This year i've been dabbling in staying in my middle ring and pushing just to get stronger to keep up with stronger climbers and have been succesful, but most of the rides have been on flatter less aggressive climbs. Now that i'm smack dab in epic climbing season, now is a great time to be corrected and go back to the correct way of "spinning". Maybe if i paid more attention to some threads, i'd have known this without being told.
Last push up the ridge the clouds came to save the day. Easing the heat and giving us a cool breeze to the top of the Mission Ridge trailhead. Sitting there with a good pal, staring across the Columbia river basin, staring at mountains that are a hundred miles away. On one side the green tree's dot and cover the Cascade mountain foothills. Across the river to the right, the city of East Wenatchee, and stretching beyond in a haze the yellow we behold the dry transition of rolling hills and fields that make up most of Eastern Washington. Me and midge could have just sat there for frikkin hours. Just smelling the fresh rain that was chasing us from the southwest to our backs, beholding a view that no camera can ever truly do justice. Grubbin on Nutri-Grain bars, hammer gel, and a stash of cheap beef jerky that was worth more than gold after accomplishing a beauty of a climb. Sweat stained eyes dried up, cool breeze and busy bugs convinced us it was time to dust off and saddle up. 14 miles of sweet descending singletrack lie ahead. A pull of water, clippin in the pedals, wheel forward, time to fly.....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ok - I'll put it in writing. :blah:

There is nothing wrong with building strength by pushing tall gears interval style - however doing this for over and hour straight on an agressive climb and near max HR is not such a wise plan - unless you are racing. In the long run a faster spin will net excellent cardio conditioning and much shorter recovery periods.

Thanks again for another great epic XC and helping me to realize the the Y-Bike has seen it's last ride. :cool:

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Nice 'riting Skookum. While you two were having an epic, I rode a mile to the skate park and promptly racked my 'nads playing around on the ramps. The key bit of information is that I rode my bike. I need to fine tune a bit, but I believe I have a servicable bike going again. I'll hit capitol tomorrow and try a little loop, ease back into things a little. So, when is TBBXC going to ride Lewis River again?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
we hit a trail today called World Cup. WC is steep, like difficult to walk up steep. you keep your ass back, grab a fistfull of rear brake, and dab the front every two seconds to keep your speed in check. it's a long (takes about 2 or 3 minutes probably) controlled skid. but the best section is about 50 feet long. trail flattens out for 10 feet, then chutes straight towards a huge redwood stump. you roll in, lock the rear wheel, and let the rear end slide right because you have to go left around the stump (which is about 6 feet in diameter), then the trail quickly bends right to continue the plunge. if i had to guess, it's probably 65 degrees steep or so. no way a bike could climb it. there's about half an inch of dust on the trail, just enough to keep the tires biting when you need 'em. the fun part (scary the first time you do it) is having complete faith in your bike and yourself, knowing that you won't barge into the tree and will be able to make the turn and then quickly throw the bike the other way to continue.

i did it totally smooth. felt really good to clean something like that, especially feeling like i could do it going faster next time. great ride today.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
Thanks again for another great epic XC and helping me to realize the the Y-Bike has seen it's last ride. :cool:
And i never meant to destroy your long standing Y-bike love either.... hmmm i think you're just using me as an excuse, the truth is you can't stop thinking about that VT. :p

ummbikes said:
I believe I have a servicable bike going again. I'll hit capitol tomorrow and try a little loop, ease back into things a little. So, when is TBBXC going to ride Lewis River again?
awesome man, glad to hear it. in a month or so we're thinking of trying for an Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham run again, you gotta make it.

squarewheels said:
i did it totally smooth. felt really good to clean something like that, especially feeling like i could do it going faster next time. great ride today.
cool man, it just feels good to clear something you set out to accomplish, both goin up and down. Next time try reversing the brakes you use, don't white knuckle squeeze your front of course, but hold it down and tap your rear. You actually get more control because you're not in a skid. :)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Holy crap for crap! Is this a thread about... dare I say it... RIDING?!?! in the LOUNGE?!?!? Unnacceptable!!!

Just kidding... awesome stories, everyone of ya's...

I also rode a bunch this weekend. DHing at Keystone on Saturday, then Vail on Sunday. Saturday was EXCELLENT conditions, I don't think the track at Keystone has ever been better. I feel like I slowed down, concentrated on being smooth and flowing though each of the sections, and wound up being faster overall. There's one part where you have to navigate down three burly steps , then gap from a stump to backside of a big rock, and for the first time EVER I came in smoth and on target, and let go of the brakes and just floated down it. It was WAY cool! It's not everyday you ride that at the end of it you can say... "I am a better rider than I was when I woke up" but Saturday was certainly that for me.

Vail on Sunday was for fun, not pushing it and relaxing. Magic Forest with it's crazy rock hip jumps, flowing berms and steep, rough runnout stepdowns gave way to steep, North Shore-style trail Old 9 with lots of off camber, wet roots, butt-cheeks-on-the-rear-wheel descents, and a few wooden bridges thrown in for fun. At the bottom of Old 9, hook in to Mainline and it's a pedal fest to the bottom. To mix it up some, throw in a run on the '94 World Cup course and get your turn, turn, root, bump, bump, turn, root on, or for an "epic DH" hit the Matterhorn.

Ah yes... riding! :thumb:

It's weekends like these that make me happy to have a job that I can go back to on Monday and catch up on some rest!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well I guess it'stime to bring out the big guns...

Just before we began our decent a guy pulls up the access road from the opposite valley - he has a bad assed HUMMER. Not a fake H2 pile of crap but a real Hummer. I suggested he drive up a very steep angle and he did - cool to watch but what was most impressive was the total control and lack of wheel spin - I was impressed. :cool: