Quantcast

Noise from Hayes Hydro lever

Wolfspyder

Chimp
Feb 3, 2003
RVA
I noticed that today my front brake will make a creaking noise when I brake. It comes from the lever, I think it is the rubber piece inside there. It sounds like old rubber creaking, can't think of a better way to describe it, sorry. The bike is new as of last week, so I don't think it would be that. It might be my imagination, but I think I have to pull the lever further now too to get the max braking power. I don't notice any leaking though.
The rear brake doesn't make the noise but has the same rubber piece in it. Any suggestions of what is causing it or to fix it?

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Rubber piece. There is a bladder in the lever that is a resivior for brake fluid but I don't think that would be a cause of creaking.There are two pivot points on the lever. The point that the lever pivots on and the pivot in the lever for the rod that pushes on the cylinder piston. I would think that theses would be a more likely spot for a creaking sound esp. on a new lever, try a drop of lube on each one

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
The newly designed Hayes levers are a simpler design. Rev. Chuck is right - there's a piston with two rubber seals in there - contrary to older models of Hayes with a cartridge unit. The best lube for them would be the Dot fluid, just to be on the safe side.

It is possible that you may have to bleed the brake, if you're experiencing more lever travel.

Wolfspyder

Chimp
Feb 3, 2003
RVA
Thanks for the responses. I found out it is the bladder itself. I can poke it without pulling the lever, and it will make the same "creaking" noise. Not sure why the one is now doing it and the other is not.

L

LFB

It's probably the bladder "creaking." I've heard that many times on my bikes (three with Hayes brakes), usually after a thorough cleaning (degreaser and hose - I know, I know, I re-lube everything).

Although the noise is nothing harmful, I do occasionally spray some general-purpose lube into the bladder area from the side, as I hate noises. The noise is actually the bladder moving around in the housing and it is a dry rubber on metal sound.