Quantcast

nomad vs 6.6 vs enduro vs moment

Flats

Chimp
Jul 30, 2005
the ROC, NY
i am in the market for a new ride to replace my current ellsworth id. i'm looking at the nomad, 6.6, enduro or another ellsworth in the form of a moment.

i ride predominantly east coast with a few trips to moab sprinkled in the mix. it would be pretty much for xc and all-day riding, i have a dh rig for dh, so there is no issue there.

my id is pretty good all around, but the 70 degree head angle is a little too twitchy on the steeps.

anyone have any experience and pics of their build-ups of these? thanks!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I lean to the Nomad or the Enduro. I think 6.6 is just a more expensive version of the Nomad (ok Intense people, let me have it) and I would not buy an Ellsworth (although you seem to like them).

The Nomad is a more expensive bike, but you have more options on builds. The Enduro is a bit cheaper, especially if you wait until the fall, but I think the VPP holds up better (ok bushing/bearing people, let me have it).

Flats

Chimp
Jul 30, 2005
the ROC, NY
yeah, i have a few months before i can get this anyways. a new ellsworth is pretty much last on my list, so that isn't a big deal.

the geometries are a little different between the 6.6 and nomad, but are there any other major differences?

i'm pretty sure i can get a better deal on a 6.6 vs the nomad, so that isn't an object either.

i know i'll have to see for myself, but how do the enduro and nomads/6.6s ride?

i am thinking fox van 36rc or marz am1 and fox dhx coil, mostly sram x.0/9 parts, mavic tubeless laced to chris king iso hubs, and avid juicys. any other suggestions?

Vang_9tuzz

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Denmark
If you smack a 36 fox on the 2, nomad would get 68-69 ish headtube angle, but high bb. The 6.6 gets a slacker angle up front, sub 68ish, but a low bb. Depends on the usage of the bike, but I would go for the intense, also a plus if you can get it cheaper.

Playdeep

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
St George, Utah
Ever thought of the transition bottlerocket, yeti 575 or the turner rfx? i only bring this up bc i used to live on the east coast and am looking for a bike kinda like you are and was considering some of the bikes on your list.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the geometries are a little different between the 6.6 and nomad, but are there any other major differences?
The only thing those bikes have in common is that they both climb well. The 6.6 rides with a nice progressive feeling suspension where the nomad feels like a wet turd when it comes time to pump corners or jumps. The wheelbase on the 6.6 is shorter, mostly due to a shorter chainstay so could be considered 'nimble' or 'twitchy' depending on what you're after. I own a 6.6 and personally can't stand the way nomads ride. Plus neither bike has a low enough BB in my opinion.

All that said, I think the new spec enduro sl's are the best heavy duty xc bikes out there right now. I'm counting the days until spec makes their next run. If you're a dh rider you'll dig them. They don't climb quite as well as either of the other choices as they do squat just a tad but it's nothing like their other designs. Plus they're so damn stable on the descents, it's not worth worrying about. That's my vote.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
i'm looking at the nomad, 6.6, enduro or another ellsworth in the form of a moment.
Which Enduro did you have in mind? Seems to be quite a difference from the '07 SL and 'classic' design, e.g. Enduro Pro, SX Trail. For something that'll get ridden hard I'm an advocate of the coil sprung SX Trail. One nice build sub-33 pound that comes to mind:

Flats

Chimp
Jul 30, 2005
the ROC, NY
that is almost how i would build the enduro, minus the shimano parts and some different wheels. looks great!

i guess i would have to demo these out to really get a feel for them. i had a spec big hit fsr and thought it rode well for a big bike when i did urban stuff with it.

kidwoo: do you have the dhx coil or air on your 6.6? would you mind posting some pics?

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Check out the new 07 RFX frames. Finally starting to show up. Equiped with a RP3 shock with decent parts the weights are hitting 30-31 pounds. the new frames sport a longer stroke shock so running a air shock works well. The frame has slightly better geometry for pedalling and its a bit lighter than the past models.

Feb 9, 2007
Go with the nomad. The best suspension design. I have ridden an enduro sl and prefer the nomad over it. More versatile. I went with a fox 36 talas 07 up front and a dhx air in the rear.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My buddy has one built with a 36 Talas and DHX air.
A pretty light build and its at 32pounds.
Climbs great, descends even better.
nice progressive sus and a stiff chassis, its badass

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
Mine has an rp23 on it. It works well. I leave the propedal on the off or minimum setting.

I've since put a fox float 140 on the front but here's the idea.
Just curious, why did you go from a Maverick Duc32 to a Fox Float 140? Weight, performance, cost, maintenance... what were the pro's vs cons of doing so?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just curious, why did you go from a Maverick Duc32 to a Fox Float 140? Weight, performance, cost, maintenance... what were the pro's vs cons of doing so?
The ONLY reason I put the float on there was because the DUC stock rode very linear. It worked great on my old enduro and I rode it for 2 years on that bike. The 6.6 rides very level.......always. I found the fork dove a lot more than what I wanted at pressures that kept it plush. Fox floats ramp up a bunch so I went with that.

After doing so, I talked to some friends that ride mavericks and found out that you can tune this out by putting some oil in the air spring chamber and essentially reducing the size of the chamber.

The real answer now is just that I've been too lazy to put it back on and try it.

skimasterflex

Monkey
Mar 31, 2005
The only thing those bikes have in common is that they both climb well. The 6.6 rides with a nice progressive feeling suspension where the nomad feels like a wet turd when it comes time to pump corners or jumps. The wheelbase on the 6.6 is shorter, mostly due to a shorter chainstay so could be considered 'nimble' or 'twitchy' depending on what you're after. I own a 6.6 and personally can't stand the way nomads ride. Plus neither bike has a low enough BB in my opinion.

All that said, I think the new spec enduro sl's are the best heavy duty xc bikes out there right now. I'm counting the days until spec makes their next run. If you're a dh rider you'll dig them. They don't climb quite as well as either of the other choices as they do squat just a tad but it's nothing like their other designs. Plus they're so damn stable on the descents, it's not worth worrying about. That's my vote.
But do you trust the Spec Suspension? I was debating between the Pro and the SL Pro for about six weeks before I finally went with the regular Enduro Pro. I rode both and really found the SLs to be more XC and less heavy duty trail oriented. The regular Enduros are definitely beefier. And I trust my 36 Talas RC2 and Dhx 5 air over that in house spec stuff any day.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But do you trust the Spec Suspension?
Kind of :D

I know some people have been having problems with either shock but everyone I've talked to has a new one from specialized at their house within 2-3 days. The one guy I know who rides his the hardest has had zero problems so far. I'm putting a pushed RP3 on the rear as soon as I get it anyway.

As far as the fork goes, that thing is so stiff, it's worth having in my opinion. One of the guys who worked on the maverick DUC helped design this one so hopefully it's as easy to work on.

why did you go to a float 140 over a 36 float? i am thinking van 36 or maybe a new z1?
Lighter and lower. It's my xc bike. I've got an uzzi and demo 8 for the rough stuff.

Just fyi, my 6.6 is for sale.....for quite a deal actually. If anybody cares, PM me.

skimasterflex

Monkey
Mar 31, 2005
Kind of :D

I know some people have been having problems with either shock but everyone I've talked to has a new one from specialized at their house within 2-3 days. The one guy I know who rides his the hardest has had zero problems so far. I'm putting a pushed RP3 on the rear as soon as I get it anyway.

As far as the fork goes, that thing is so stiff, it's worth having in my opinion. One of the guys who worked on the maverick DUC helped design this one so hopefully it's as easy to work on.

Lighter and lower. It's my xc bike. I've got an uzzi and demo 8 for the rough stuff.

Just fyi, my 6.6 is for sale.....for quite a deal actually. If anybody cares, PM me.
Now I get it, if I had either an Uzi OR a Demo I'd go with the lighter SL for XC, let alone if I had both. My Pro is my all around Trail/Freeride do it all bike, I have that and a Stumpjumper hardtail.