Nomar has been traded.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Twins Beat Boston 4-3 Off Cabrera Error

1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Add Sports - AP to My Yahoo!

MINNEAPOLIS - Orlando Cabrera made a big impression on his first day in a Red Sox uniform — both good and bad. Boston's new shortstop homered in his first at-bat, but his error in the eighth inning allowed the go-ahead run to score and the Minnesota Twins (news) edged the Red Sox 4-3 Sunday.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Great, the Sox traded Nomar for crap. :rolleyes:
I disagree.

Both Cabrera and Mientkiewicz are gold glove caliber infielders and should bring some needed consistancy to the Sox infield. While neither may contend for a batting championship anytime soon, they aren't exactly slouches at the plate either. I think they break even on the deal during the regular season, and have upgraded the team for the playoffs - Nomar was always a disappointment during the playoffs... still good, but never got the big hit you expect from your leader.

I like the deal, especially since they probably wouldn't have been able to resign him anyways.

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
sigh. i miss nomar already. to anyone who thinks hes a little bitch do they remmeber all the years he spent playing for us and how well he played?
he unlike many of our players today didnt go around fighting and running his mouth off.
its getting hard to keep defending my red sox to all the damn yankee fans i live with

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
I disagree.

Both Cabrera and Mientkiewicz are gold glove caliber infielders and should bring some needed consistancy to the Sox infield. While neither may contend for a batting championship anytime soon, they aren't exactly slouches at the plate either. I think they break even on the deal during the regular season, and have upgraded the team for the playoffs - Nomar was always a disappointment during the playoffs... still good, but never got the big hit you expect from your leader.

I like the deal, especially since they probably wouldn't have been able to resign him anyways.
Cabrera and Mientkiewicz are each hitting about .250 with 5 HR's. That's hardly Nomar-esque. You don't trade away a 1st ballot Hall of Famer in his prime to solidify your defense. And yeah, that game-blowing error by Cabrera last night sure made me feel better about the trade.

IMO, the Sox would make a better run at the World Series if they kept Nomar and let him walk at the end of the season. The Sox are a weaker team now than they were three days ago. As far as Nomar's post-season slumping goes, that applies to pretty much every member of the team.

Well, at least the Yankees didn't get Randy Johnson.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It is too soon to tell what will happen with this deal. The Sox should have improved infield defense and if the rest of their sluggers can step up they should be okay offensively.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
bella said:
sigh. i miss nomar already. to anyone who thinks hes a little bitch do they remmeber all the years he spent playing for us and how well he played?
he unlike many of our players today didnt go around fighting and running his mouth off.
its getting hard to keep defending my red sox to all the damn yankee fans i live with

I never said he didnt play great in the past. I said he TURNED into a little bitch. Watching the games in the last 2 days, and hearing what was said in the cklubhouse, it sounds like most of the players are glad to see him go. Poutin little baby. Wasnt he too hurt to play this week for the Sox, but he started for the Cubs right away? Very professional.