Quantcast

Non bike related, taking trip to San Fran, need some advice

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys, Non bike post but advice needed.

I'm heading up to San Fransisco for the weekend (thursday, friday, and saturday) and basicly since it's a new town, I'll have no idea of places to see or things to do. My girlfriend wants to go to alcatraz and eat out at some nice places. We aren't super fancy, but a causal place would rock. Good steak/seafood would be great. Also wanting to hit up some bars at night maybe to just do something (no gay ones).

So my question to you Nor cali guys is where are some good places to eat/drink at? We're staying right smack in the middle of the city I think. Near Union square. I've looked at websites but it is confusing. I think the city's big enough to cause tons of confusion where Santa Barbara is tiny, so just about anywhere is ok to eat/drink at.

Just looking for some help or advice. That way atleast I can have some idea of where to try and go for a nice time.

thanks guys,
Chris

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Food-

Momo's - Great view of the bay and it's right next to Pac Bell Park, good food but a bit pricy.

Hyde Street Bistro - Take a cable car up Hyde Street hill and check out this super cool French Bistro. Cheap, casual, good service, awesome date spot.

Eric's - Best damn chinese food in the city. Tell the cab driver it's around 27th and Church. Cheap, really really really good. Get the sesame beef.

Thirsty Bear - Restaurant/Nightclub, good Dj's on the weekends sometimes, good food to boot. Right across the street from the Goldclub ;)

Boys Toys - Fine dinning strip joint (really). Awesome if your girlfriend is down.

Park Chow - Really good Italian food, really cheap. 9th and Irving right outside of Golden Gate Park.

Clubs-

Butter - DJ's n white trash bistro, doesnt get any better

DNA Lounge - House music, big name guest DJ's on the weekends

1015 - House/Techno/etc, kinda cheesy, but some people like that

Ruby Sky - SF's super club. Great DJ's, but a super clubby crowd. Lots of eye candy and attitude.

Check out www.sfstation.com to find clubs/weeklys in the city

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
For Cheap (but good) eats, try Tu Lan on 6th and Market (vietnamese)
or House of NanKing for Chinese (Kearney and Columbus)
Pancho Villa is an Awesome taco/burrito place on 16th and Valencia.

Hanabi sushi on Haight (and Fell) is good for the $$ and it is near TORONADO... the best Beer bar in the state.

Also try Manora's Thai on (10th and Folsom)
Figaro has some GREAT italian food. It is right on Columbus near broadway.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Hit up north beach for the night life, great fun. I really enjoy Kel's it's an irish pub/ club.
For a late night snack or dinner you got to hit up New yorker's in the Marina Dist. off Lombard and divisadero. The best buffalo wing's in town. Also it's no fancy dinning but great wing's. Also you can try Mas Saki's in the Marina also off lombard for some great sushi and fun

D

Dingus McGee

-BB- covered the gastronomic bases with some great advice there...if you
are into some Pakistani/Indian grub (Cutty/Tandoori) in the Mission try Pakwan on 16th near Guerrero. Their religion prevents them from selling beer,
but for some reason they are totally fine with bringing your own 6-pack or wine in. Everybody does it. Then check out the all the bars and clubs in the surrounding semi-seedy hipster-hood. I gues it depends on your music/fashion/$$ bent.

I've lived here 18 years and never set foot on the Rock, but even locals say it's pretty neato...if it's a nice day the ferry rides is nice. If you are into
cheesy boutiques and ogling rich people and killer views of Mt Tam and the Golden Gate Bridge, the ferry ride to Suasalito is a nice little trip. You can bring your (rented?) bikes on the boat for a ride around on the other side, or
better yet, ride back to S.F. across the GG bridge. If you catch a ferry from the newly renovated Ferry Bldg (at the foot of Market St-a short walk from Union Sq.) you can check out the farmers market and the micro/organic/gourmet permanent stalls inside. Chicks dig it.

Drink Anchor Stream beer

D

Dingus McGee

Juano said:
Hit up north beach for the night life, great fun. I really enjoy Kel's it's an irish pub/ club.
For a late night snack or dinner you got to hit up New yorker's in the Marina Dist. off Lombard and divisadero. The best buffalo wing's in town. Also it's no fancy dinning but great wing's. Also you can try Mas Saki's in the Marina also off lombard for some great sushi and fun
Yep, but if you fancy those sinewy, hairy little flappers, New Yorker's has opened a new place in the Mission on Valencia nr 18th (in the old Bravo Cafe)
So you can get the same wings without the cocaine/fitness/plastique/yuppie
Marina vibe :evil:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Guys thanks a ton for getting back. Ridemonkey's email notification system sucks right now. I dunno who responds to anything!

We've never eaten indian food. If it's spicy I can't do it. LOL the bathroom knows why. All the other clubs/food places definately look worthy of checking out.

Santa Barbara (if you guys have been here) is like taco/burrito heaven. I imagine the closer you get to mexico the better it is. San Fran I bet has better Chinease? food then we do. I'm just stoked to get out of Santa Barbara for a few days. Between work and work getting away is what I need.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Dingus McGee said:
Yep, but if you fancy those sinewy, hairy little flappers, New Yorker's has opened a new place in the Mission on Valencia nr 18th (in the old Bravo Cafe)
So you can get the same wings without the cocaine/fitness/plastique/yuppie
Marina vibe :evil:

I totally agree. It's fun if you don't take them (yuppies) to seriously.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
For a fun walk/hike, try the Filbert Street Steps. Start at the bottom and walk up to the Coit Tower, then walk back down. Take a camera.

Some of the plants and wildlife that live along that small strip between homes can only be found there in the US. There's a big story behind the whole thing, see if you can find a local to tell it to you.

And on your way down, remember that I was the only person to actually ride down every single step without stopping (from the Coit Tower to Embarcadaro). :-)

-B

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
If you find yourself near 19th ave and Taraval, eat at Seniore's Pizza. It was my favorite when I lived a block up.

Dammit I miss SF.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
same here the food, culture, riding scene are all great...but I was tired of giving away almost half my paycheck towards rent:eek: