Quantcast

Non-Horst Variable Axle Path Suspension Designs

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've seen a few posts stating the Maestro is a blatant rip-off of the DW link, so I pulled a bunch of images of similar 4 bar configurations. All of them have very different virtual pivot points, but surprisingly the closest to the DW pivot point is the old Cortina DH-8, which came out years before the DW-Link.

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006

1996/1997 VR1, what is the point of this thread again

ps a horst isnt always vertical, a single pivot in the same place as a demo 9's front pivot has less rearward travel..

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The giants are similar to the older iteration of the dw-link - see the first few Hollowpoints with DW-link...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Not really -

As to the point of the thread - I see alot of RM postings saying that XYZ suspension design is a rip-off of DW, I'm just pointing out that that's not really the case. These are all different designs.

(Saying non-horst in the title was the closest thing I could think of to saying "4 bar suspension designs with the chainstay pivot closer the main pivot then the rear axle".)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Wait, how are you analyzing the axle paths? By comparing the pictures? There is way more to suspension design than you understand. Tiny changes in link length and pivot placement can have a huge effect on suspension.
Stop over thinking it and just ride your bike

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not really -

Yes you don't really know what you are talking about the DW-Link was a mid-year release 2002.5. That version infringed on the VPP patents. This is the 2002.5 with the first iteration of DW-link:

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
The giants are similar to the older iteration of the dw-link - see the first few Hollowpoints with DW-link...
DW link pedals better out of saddle than the Maestro version.

DW didn't invent a new wheel, he just made the old stuff work way better.

Now if only we could get DW linkage on better quality bikes and with better geometry. All of the Iron Horse bikes except the Sunday have great feeling rear ends, but God aweful geo. I can see how the geo works in some parts of the world, but here in PNW, it just doesn't feel right in tight, steep, and slow techy sections.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I've seen a few posts stating the Maestro is a blatant rip-off of the DW link, so I pulled a bunch of images of similar 4 bar configurations. All of them have very different virtual pivot points, but surprisingly the closest to the DW pivot point is the old Cortina DH-8, which came out years before the DW-Link.

I suggest reading the patents, then bringing up educated discussion. The cortina bike in no way similar to dw-link other than the fact that they both use short links. Like I said, read the dw-link patents, understand them, then you will understand why people call some bikes "ripoffs" of the dw-link models.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I suggest reading the patents, then bringing up educated discussion. The cortina bike in no way similar to dw-link other than the fact that they both use short links. Like I said, read the dw-link patents, understand them, then you will understand why people call some bikes "ripoffs" of the dw-link models.
Do you happen to have any patent numbers or search criteria to find said patents? I'm not having any luck on uspto.gov, and I've tried various methods of searching.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I suggest reading the patents, then bringing up educated discussion.
you realize that there's probably about 3 people on this entire site (including you) that could do that, right? :busted:

CKxx said:
Do you happen to have any patent numbers or search criteria to find said patents? I'm not having any luck on uspto.gov, and I've tried various methods of searching.
easiest way is to go to google patents and search under "weagle". http://www.google.com/ptshp?tab=wt

same with the uspto.gov website where you can find most applied patents as well. (for some reason the uspto.gov site shows an additional patent that the google site doesn't...)