Quantcast

Noob looking for a couple of bikes

jpconard

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
Looking for some bikes 24 for me and a 20 for the 10 yr. old. Went to the local shop and the boy fit pretty well on the Haro X1 and a Giant something. Tried the shorter frame and he was a little small for it.

Not being around BMX for decades I thought they were heavy (I know entry-level, but I expected on the Haro for the price to at least get 3 tubes chro-moly). But like the dealer said you go up to x2, x3 (more chro-moly) and not really a lot of weight savings. I want the 20 tough enough for me once in a while, but light enough son can learn tricks. We won't be overly hard on them.

Didn't realize that they don't recommend the "race" type for trails, general use.

The specs. say both the Haro 20 and 24 are around 30 lbs. so I guess this is a good starting point. Although of course I'd prefer less, but not sacrificing strength too much and not too many $$.

What about other brands, been doing some online searching and the DKs look pretty good for the $. I saw a few posts here about asking weight on the DK GL24 but didn't see response. Anybody know DK GL24, GL20 weights?

Who else makes a comparable 24? Hoffman or this new Mirraco bikes, weights, prices? Trying to find a magazine with a buyers guide or something but no luck. Having a hard time just finding dealers.

What is the difference between the "dirt" category (i.e. DK GL20) versus park/trail (i.e. DK step up or 8-pack)? I know the race/street difference.

Looking for all your expert opinions. Thanks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A "dirt" style bike will have diffent, probably more slack geometry for less tech stuff, no pegs, dirt tires, etc.

A street bike may be a bit quicker, with pegs/street tires. They're really similar so either can do both types of riding.

For you, I'd recommend a DK General Lee. That seems to be the best real 24" BMX out there right now.

jpconard

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks, anybody know the weight? I may have to send them an e-mail. It appears weights are not advertised with most brands unless it is the race category. Haro weights were in brochure from dealer.

What about this Mirraco bikes? They have this ICON 20forty (24) that looks pretty similar spec., may be more $ (no MSRP shown).

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Thanks, anybody know the weight? I may have to send them an e-mail. It appears weights are not advertised with most brands unless it is the race category. Haro weights were in brochure from dealer.

What about this Mirraco bikes? They have this ICON 20forty (24) that looks pretty similar spec., may be more $ (no MSRP shown).
MSRP on the Icon 24 should be about $280. I don't know about the weight though. . .

jpconard

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks. I'm still looking, riding my old Fuji 26" hybrid in the meantime. Are these Mirraco's available anywhere yet?

I am debating on 24 vs. 20. Anybody have any thoughts? I plan on DJ mostly, but may see a park once in a while. Are 24s out of place there? I hear different opinions, some say yes, others say they take 26s to the parks.

I bought the son a Mongoose Brawler, chromoly front triangle, 3 pc cranks. Not too bad and I've been riding it too, seems to be holding up well. Almost got the flatland 180 down again, like when I was young. It is fairly comfortable bike so that makes my decision more difficult. I do like the looks of the DK 24 and this Mirraco Icon 24 though.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Mirraco's should be available later this month.
And as far as what size wheels to ride. . .I dunno, that sorta comes down to your riding style. I like 24s, because for guys coming from 26's you get that "20" feel, without the huge size change of going all the way down to 20s. Easy to whip around and ride in a park or on the street or whatever.