Quantcast

Norba's Priorities....

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
they took my $60 for an annual license so i could race as expert this year in New Mexico.

fast forward about 10 days when my license showed up in the mail and they have me down as a sport rider again on my license. I was told the license is not wrong, i have to apply to be an expert.

damn, more hassle.

joel

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Jimmy_Pop said:
they took my $60 for an annual license so i could race as expert this year in New Mexico.

fast forward about 10 days when my license showed up in the mail and they have me down as a sport rider again on my license. I was told the license is not wrong, i have to apply to be an expert.

damn, more hassle.

joel
If You can't get the required podiums at sport level, then You shouldn't be allowed to move up. This should have been done a long time ago. Then practices wouldn't be so screwed up and You wouldn't have to worry about passing the slow "expert"starting in front of You. :nopity:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
USCF seems to work correctly, I got my license in less than 10 days.

I guess USA Cycling funnels Norba's money into road racing.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
ViciousDHer said:
If You can't get the required podiums at sport level, then You shouldn't be allowed to move up. This should have been done a long time ago. Then practices wouldn't be so screwed up and You wouldn't have to worry about passing the slow "expert"starting in front of You. :nopity:
caution or i'll punch you in your fat ;)

I've done the work and have the results to move up and gather dust in the back of the expert class for a while. I was just saying what a hassle. Did you have to apply for expert or did you, just one year, decide you were ready to move up and applied as an expert? im sure they will charge me to upgrade.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
You could always get your money back and sandbag in Sport on $5 one-day licenses. :rolleyes: The decision to make Experts buy a mandatory annual (5 useful months) license has got to be one of the lamest moves NORBA has ever made.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Jimmy_Pop said:
caution or i'll punch you in your fat ;)

I've done the work and have the results to move up and gather dust in the back of the expert class for a while. I was just saying what a hassle. Did you have to apply for expert or did you, just one year, decide you were ready to move up and applied as an expert? im sure they will charge me to upgrade.
Then just apply and move up. I wasn't refering to You but the situation in general. In 2004 I won 7 times and podiumed 9 times in 10 races. If I didn't move up I would have been lynched

SpasticJack said:
You could always get your money back and sandbag in Sport on $5 one-day licenses. :rolleyes: The decision to make Experts buy a mandatory annual (5 useful months) license has got to be one of the lamest moves NORBA has ever made.
and keeps all the "one day experts" where they belong.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
bcd said:
so are you doing one?

i plan on shotting deer valley or brian head for my submission.

alex
Naw,

All I have is DH and dual footage from Mt. Snow. I doubt thats what they are really interested in. Winner will probably be someone with quality gear and a variety of footage that went to all the races.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I think NORBA's priorities go something like this:

1. Kill downhill
2. Ruin 4X (see Deer Valley this year)
3. Make the XC course smoother, oh hell, just pave it
4. Raise prices for everything
5. and Kill downhill

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
ViciousDHer said:
I agree as most of the time I was that "slow Expert in front of you." Especially at Mt Snow. At Snowshoe, I was the passer, but at Mt Snow, I was a rolling speed bump.

I never got a podium in Sport. Probably would have won the NCS at Seven Springs in '99 were it not for a bike malfunction, but those are the breaks. I moved to Expert because all of my friends were and I got tired of waiting until 4 pm to race at Plattekill while they were done and got to ride. I probably moved up too soon as boy did I pay for it in blood a few times.

As it's been three years since I raced, if I renewed my license I'm guessing it would still say "Expert" but in reality, I probably need to earn that title again with some real results.

So this is a new rule I agree with. If you do have the results to move up, make sure to read the fine print and fill the forms out correctly. Typically, if the rules are followed, things move smoothly.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Any other ABA racers notice the article on Sea Otter in this month's magazine? Is it their gradual way of introducing 26" gravity events to their currrent population?

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
ViciousDHer said:
Then just apply and move up. I wasn't refering to You but the situation in general. In 2004 I won 7 times and podiumed 9 times in 10 races. If I didn't move up I would have been lynched

Spoken like a true sandbagger! Seeing that the rule is 3 top 5's!

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
SDH said:
ViciousDHer said:

:nuts:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
ViciousDHer said:
I think implementing a system of progression is a good idea for everyone.

Buuuttt.. I nearly got shafted at the Sloppy Otter because my licensce said BG on it. Which it always has, even though I've never raced a beginner race. I'm also classified as an 'EX' endurance racer, even though I've never entered a norba endurance race.. unless you count the StupidD at nationals last year. That hurt.

Basically I had to argue with them so they would look up my past race results, all in expert with respectable finishes.

I just feel they should have used a little more discretion when in the transitional period of "forcing" riders to step down a class.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
SuspectDevice said:
Any other ABA racers notice the article on Sea Otter in this month's magazine? Is it their gradual way of introducing 26" gravity events to their currrent population?
Really? My local BMX track is ABA... I've always thought they should give a shot at sanctioning mountain bike races... :think:

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
SDH said:
ViciousDHer said:

Seeing that I raced 4 races as a beginner and 1 year at the sport level contesting two series before moving to expert last year, I think You are wrong.

rockymt21 said:
SDH said:
and Dan You are funny, seeing that this rule was implemented for............ :wave: (You can finish this sentence Yourself)