Quantcast

normal OT: pool/billiard cues

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
so, I've been playing lots of pool, mainly to attempt to find some place acceptable to replace kelly mccues after its recent closure (RIP).

to further the story, a few years ago I borrowed a friend's cue, and it was a full carbon fiber cue, and it wasnt terribly expensive. I've been doing some searching online and havent come across anything. oh- it definitely was not pricey- 50 bucks or under, i believe. im looking for it because it just played really well....for a light cue

can any billiard monkey's help? good online resource for cues?

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Online I don't know too much.

I haven't come across a CF cue that plays as well as a quality wood cue however. The shafts tend to become sticky (although newer ones can be better) and like early CF bikes they tend to feel dead.

Light weight is not neccissairly a plus, pool cues are generally between 18 ans 22 oz. with a 12- 13mm tip.

"Breaking" cues are specialized for the break shot only and are lighter and come with larger (14mm) and harder tips. Don't bother to get one unless you have a super expensive regular cue with a super expensive tip that you don't want to bang out of shape.

Make sure the shaft is maple, not balsa. Make sure the joint is not brass. Don't buy a cue with multiple joints unless it's super expensive and then only buy it if it is really important that it can fit in small luggage. Wait, don't bother, the weight balance is all off on those ones anyway, just get a regular two-piece. "Quick release" joints are really just a gimmick, unless it'a a jump/break cue with different sized butts for jump and break shots.

If you want to get fancy you can get a Predator shaft, they're constructed from laminated wedges of maple, evening out the flex charactoristics of the shaft. They cost hundrids of dollars though, and you'll often have to get them modified to fit your cue's joint.

Maple shaft, quality leather tip, precision construction will get you most of the way there. Almost everything else is cosmetic.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Oh, online: I wouldnt buy a cue online, there's no way to tell if the cue is warped, and shippping had a high probability of warping it. Buy near where you play and if you travel alot with your cue then is the time to buy something that's wrapped in CF or fibreglass.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I bought a cue at Sears. It's by no means pro-quality, but it's better than the ones in the pool hall. I think it was about $40 and came with a padded bag. For as often as I play pool, it works for me. :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got a Joss cue ($250) that I love. Predator also makes excellent cues. My brother is a shark and he uses a Schon... it's nice, but I'm not sure it's significantly nicer than my Joss... and certainly not $200 nicer. I've played several Cuetecs, which are also nice, and not nearly as pricey. You can get a good cuetec for ~$100.

If you get serious about it... I'd stay away from CF. Maple hardwood is the only way to go.

I get my stuff from Hawley's.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I had my own cue once... it was a nice 2 piece Brunswick cue with lots of inlays and a super nice grip wrap. I played a lot of pool back then lots of tourneys etc, etc. After a few years of use the shaft warped just a little and I got rid of it.

The best player I have ever known is my father, he can school just about anyone in any game. For example, he likes to play straight pool, if he gets to break its not uncommon for him to run 2.5 tables before the other guy gets to shoot. Anyway, what Im getting at. He doesnt own his own cue, he plays with the house sticks as long as they are straight because, "you dont need a fancy cue to win, just a straight one". Nothing is cooler than watching you dad win a 9 ball tourney against a bunch of pro looking dudes using a house cue :D

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
golgiaparatus said:
I had my own cue once... it was a nice 2 piece Brunswick cue with lots of inlays and a super nice grip wrap. I played a lot of pool back then lots of tourneys etc, etc. After a few years of use the shaft warped just a little and I got rid of it.

The best player I have ever known is my father, he can school just about anyone in any game. For example, he likes to play straight pool, if he gets to break its not uncommon for him to run 2.5 tables before the other guy gets to shoot. Anyway, what Im getting at. He doesnt own his own cue, he plays with the house sticks as long as they are straight because, "you dont need a fancy cue to win, just a straight one". Nothing is cooler than watching you dad win a 9 ball tourney against a bunch of pro looking dudes using a house cue :D
that's the issue- a lack of a straight cue at any of the local pool halls. then again, if you use it right, you can put some sweet micro-english on a shot with a hozed cue.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i would look for a sneaky pete from viking. they're fairly cheap as they're basically a house cue split in half. The wood-wood joint plays MUCH softer than a plastic/plastic joint and I felt has a great feel to it. I toyed with one in a shop and that will be my next cue, if i play more often. I think they run about 50-75. They don't have the wrap however. It's like having a top quality cue but not showing off with inlays and such. You can maintain the tip and take care of the shaft so you know how it'll play every time, rather than being questionable with a house cue.

I don't think you'll find anything worthwhile for less than 50. At that point you're looking at fiberglass or carbon wraps or knockoffs of real cues (a la sears) which is what I have, and am very disappointed with. If there's a house cue that is in good shape, I'd probably rather play with it then my cue. Don't let that happen to you.

erm wait, lucasi cues, not viking. Viking, predator, etc. make great cues, but what you're paying for is the finish and the shaft. I played with the lucasi SP and was very impressed.