Quantcast

North Shor Style Course At South Run REC JUMPS

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
im beggining to organize and plan for the construction of a North Shore style freeride park in the woods next to South Run Rec Dirt Jumps (near Burke Lake)... any and all support appreciated

aadamchak@cox.net

703 623 2843

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
right now this is in the very basic stage, im trying to gain influence amongst the local riders and beggining to organize some sort of group to talk with the Farifax County Park authority.

IMBA is a great idea thanks.

DO u know where South run rec center is? It is right off the Fairfax Countyr park Authority where it crosses lee chapel road.
THe dirt jumps are next to a dog park. The freeride park planned area in question is in the woods to the right

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
A few of us are working with MORE and IMBA on a similar project further out towards Manassas. I'll email you later today with some info and contacts.

Edit: FYI - latest word regarding the stuff out at Conway Robinson: MORE/IMBA really liked the start of the ladder bridge into the log rides. They suggested replacing the pine rungs with rough cut cedar though for longevity. Unfortunately Mark and I haven't had a chance to go back in a while to continue the efforts out there.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I sure hope everybody can work together somewhat. It seems like so many people are working on so many different projects... people are working on freeride parks, others are building more dirt jumps... which might make people feel a little alone when the truth is lots of people are out digging in the woods! Combining forces sounds like a great idea. :)

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
If peeps can start emailing me (aadamchak@cox.net) and get contacts with IMBA and start talking with FCPA that would be awesome.

But most importantly i beleive for this project we need to organize a group to discoss this park with fairfax, theyll listen better that way:D

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
I've talked to IMBA (Chris Scott) and he has advised me to approach MORE (which i have)
He also advised me that there should some sort of safe building plan that promises longevity and some sort of safety (i.e.. rec riders accidently fall off a drop ladder)
So i have adopted the Whistler Bike Park Medium skill specifications (ill post some link later)

I think in order to keep this park with a solid maintenance planned, a solid club should be formed along with construction of this park, in order to ensure saftey and well maintaned trails

Ilovespooky

Chimp
May 7, 2004
Awesome idea. I would be willing to do anything to gets this project started a new place to ride is always welcome

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by poobah
I've talked to IMBA (Chris Scott) and he has advised me to approach MORE (which i have)
He also advised me that there should some sort of safe building plan that promises longevity and some sort of safety (i.e.. rec riders accidently fall off a drop ladder)
So i have adopted the Whistler Bike Park Medium skill specifications (ill post some link later)
Sounds like you've got a good start already. Check your email for more info.

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
yeh man i got that thanks

i think the plan is gonna be a challenge park, but first we need permission

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Sounds like you've put some fore-thought into this and are contacting the right people. :thumb: What was MORE's reaction? If you get a thumbs up from them, maybe they would let you post the info on their boards http://www.more-mtb.org and that would gain a wider audience for the help you're looking for (maybe you've already beaten me to it).

Keep it up! Its nice to see a wider variety of riding near home!

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
alright ive talked to IMBA im waiting on MORE for advice on how i should approach FCPA

(i love initials)

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
ive talked to MORE, they seem gungho:D
the important thing is we have to make sure the jumps are already legal
that we have a management plan
and that i become a MORE member

they said theyll help drawing up the trail proposal

emails are appreciated
aadamchak@cox.net

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
the more lady name is NANCY DEVORE
Hi Andre,

It's awesome to hear of your interest and leadership for building some freeride trail in No.VA! MORE can work with you, particularly in helping get the proper approval, and in helping design and build trails. We have a lot of members interested in putting in freeride stuff around the areas. Also, The Bike Lane bike shop is very close to this park, and given their outstanding support of MTB advocacy stuff, they may be interested in helping out also.

We would strongly encourage you and anyone else you're working with to become members of MORE. It helps our case, as well as yours, when working with land managers. Also, there are some basic questions to be answered before moving forward:

1. Who manages the Park? What county district is it in?
2. Are the existing BMX and dirt bike trails legal? If so, who maintains them (Park staff or volunteers)?

If the dirt jumps are legal, then getting approval for some freeride stunts may be pretty easy. However, if the dirt jumps have not been approved by the park, then getting permission to build more stuff out there could be a problem. Adding new stunts in the woods without approval may just draw attention to all the activity going on and could become an issue for even keeping the existing dirt jumps. So I strongly encourage you to find the answers to these questions and try to work through the proper channels before starting to build anything.

If things look good for putting in a proposal to the county, MORE can help with drawing it up and in putting our experience and organizational structure behind it (ie. insurance). Being a MORE member when you approach the park management may give you a lot more clout, because county managers know and trust MORE's judgement and experience when it comes to trails.

Thanks for stepping forward to organize the efforts for these trails, and for coming to MORE to help with the process! How exciting to be this close to adding more freeride stunts in the area!

Nancy DeVore
MORE's VA Advocacy Director
703-967-1998

cc: Scott Scudamore, MORE Prez
Mike Bender, MORE Trail Bozz

---------------------------------------------
At 09:53 PM 5/11/2004 -0400, Andre Adamchak wrote:

Hello,
I am a fairfax county local and I would like to propose the construction of North Shore style freeride park in Burke Va (South Run Rec Center). The proposed area is the woods adjacent to South Run. This area is prime becsue popular dirt jumps already exist there for mtbers and motorbike riders. This makes the area seem perfect for a freeride course because it is already specefied for extreme riding. After posting my proposal in local forums i have come up wth alot of support amongst the local NoVa freeriders. I plan to make schematics and regulations for the constructions of stunts, and to make a club for riders of this park in order to schedule regular inspection and maintenance.
I have already approached Chris Scott at IMBA and he advised me that i should appraoch you for trail advocacy. I have reviewed IMBA's stance on Freeriding and their publication on the responsibal way to construct freeride courses ("The Freeride Guide 2004"). I have also contacted Whistler Resort for there regulation and deseign publification for their terrain park and plan to follow a similar schematic.
Any advice on how to approach the landowners (in this case FCPA) is greatly appreciated, also I ask for help on Approaching these landowners.

Thanks,
Andre Adamchak
(aadamchak@cox.net)

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i'm down for this plan. get us more info and i'm sure many people will come out to help biuld the trails.

btw. if my memory is working right there is a road talbe top there also!:eek:

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
which reminds me
there is alot we can do with this area even beyond a north shore trail but the north shore trail is primary because well there jus tis none in the area

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
post an update on what is happining with more and imba and people will start posting again!

but personally i can't wait for this thing to start happining!!!!

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
I have emailed fcpa and MORE and are waiting on reply's.
MORE is really pushing that the riders who want this get organized, and become MORE members cause itll help us with the landowners.

What we really need are people who want to help organizing just not people who wanna build (but thats great too:D )

but please please give me and email about ideas for maybe a MORE affiliated FR club

as always aadamchak@cox.net

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i also believe those dirt jump are not suppose to be there, but i do believe that they are still there. what part of the woods would we be biulding the north shore style riding. by the indoor field or next to the dog play area.

just wondering:thumb:

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
near dog pl;ay right now but indoor field area is also in question
b/c absolutely nothing is back there to be used

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
downy you are right the dirt jumps have been taken down (i just went out there to scope out that area again). :( but there are some drops left that are used by the atv people . :) as for the area to biuld near the dog area is fine because the canopy for the trees is about 20-30 feet high!

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
nice man thanks,
another problem that has come to mind on further inspection of the area myself...
since theyre under powerlines... are they owned by the county?

but this can be sidestepped because the area behind the indor gym is acres of unused woods with an already overgrown small network of trails that can provide a good starting point for ladder systems

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by poobah
nice man thanks,
another problem that has come to mind on further inspection of the area myself...
since theyre under powerlines... are they owned by the county?
I think that the powerlines might make it easier (i think), as there are already many legal trails that run along and under power lines in the area.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the area behind the gym i also thought would be a good starting point.
1) it is out of the way of he normal park traffic
2) the atv people will not try to get on it
3) and like you said there are already kind of a trail network back there

now the biggest obstical will be setting up safety measures that the county will agree with! like warning signs and such.:mumble:

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
yes finally some one agrees her, it seems every1 is ready to build but no1 wants to participate in organization

what we need is a solid schematic (MORE has offered to help with that) drawn up along with a proposal

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
like i said before if you want me to do anything to help get this project moving tell me what to do. i have no problem helping with work the proposal issues that we are gonig to have. i also know people that work for that county that i might be able to ask for help!

just give me something to do and i will give it my best try on getting it done. the reason i have not done anything yet is the fact that you have not givin me the detains on what you have already done.

no one start biulding back there and stop our chances of getting a legal trail in the same area!!!!!