Quantcast

Northeast blizzard discussion thread

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well the snow has begun to fall and it's 2 degrees outside in Northern CT. Weather forecasters are saying this will rival the Blizzard of '78. Parts of Connecticut are expected to get up to 2.5 feet.

I figure since most of us in the NE will be locked inside this weekend, this will be a good thread to have out here. :D

:dancing:

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
bring it on! i'm going to do a little "back country" snowboarding at the golf course tommorow, It's a great place for huge kickers, there's landings everywhere

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Holy ...!

I knew absolutely nothing about this.. and my car's gas tank is almost empty. Thanks IAB...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
where do you all live in Ct? Its been pretty cold in litchfield for the past few days. Hope school gets cancelled.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I Are Baboon said:
Well the snow has begun to fall and it's 2 degrees outside in Northern CT. Weather forecasters are saying this will rival the Blizzard of '78. Parts of Connecticut are expected to get up to 2.5 feet.

I figure since most of us in the NE will be locked inside this weekend, this will be a good thread to have out here. :D

:dancing:
Yeah, it looks like no riding for awhile. :mad:

from the national weather service for our area:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
1148 AM EST SAT JAN 22 2005
A DANGEROUS WINTER STORM WITH HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL AFFECT
SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY. ANY TRAVEL IS STRONGLY
DISCOURAGED TONIGHT. IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING
INDOORS TONIGHT...YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

...BLIZZARD WARNING EXTENDED FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 2 PM EST
SUNDAY...

THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY
MORNING...WHEN SNOWFALL RATES OF 3 INCHES PER HOUR ARE LIKELY. ALONG WITH THE HEAVY SNOW WILL BE STRONG NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS FREQUENTLY GUSTING TO 35 MPH OR GREATER. THIS WILL CAUSE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...WITH NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES...

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON THE ORDER OF 20 TO 30 INCHES.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, i just got back from the bike shop. went to go see how things were and what was new.
so yea big PROPS to the family Subaru
also had to drop off a busted rf bb, see if he can get it warrentied,
oh yea also had to pick up a new set of Brakes for the Karpiel.
:):):):):)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i wish we had a blizzard here in the pac nw :( . instead it has been warm and rainy for a week straight, and all of the snow is melting at the ski mountains. all are closed or running on a handful of lifts with really poor snow levels (think 30").

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Toshi said:
i wish we had a blizzard here in the pac nw :( . instead it has been warm and rainy for a week straight, and all of the snow is melting at the ski mountains. all are closed or running on a handful of lifts with really poor snow levels (think 30").
I think most of us would be glad to send it your way. :evil: Now if this storm was to hit Jay Peak........

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I cut my w/e in Mass short being our party tonight was cancelled by my wimpy realatives, just got home - last 85 miles it was snowing like a mofo but I still averaged 60 plus mph - would have been faster but many spots were whiteouts :eek:

My new 4x4 truck loves the snow!!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
douglas said:
I cut my w/e in Mass short being our party tonight was cancelled by my wimpy realatives, just got home - last 85 miles it was snowing like a mofo but I still averaged 60 plus mph - would have been faster but many spots were whiteouts :eek:

My new 4x4 truck loves the snow!!
That sucks. You have a lot of snow in Albany? :confused:

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
snowing pretty hard here in Amherst. i'm going sledding tonight!

what's up with eastern mass getting dumped on while Vermont gets almost nothing in comparison? it's been that way with every storm so far this year

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
a few inches so far....but its so cold the snow is super light & blowing like crazy on the highway

behind every 18 wheeler was a mini blizzard !

we do have a blizzrd warning / 8-20 inches total predicted

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
That sucks. You have a lot of snow in Albany? :confused:
yup, cancelled partys suck......leaving the bar at 1:30a to find our vehicle towed, in 0 degree weather especially when the place I was staying at is a 40 minute drive away also sucks!!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Saratoga, NY reporting in at 5:15pm. 3 or so inches on the ground and it is DUMPING!!! Zero degrees outside. total accumulation said to be 14" - 18"!!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
splat said:
How was the Blackstone ? did you go Up goat hill ?

Should have told me you were going to do that , I probably would have joined you
I didn't know I was going to go there either, until I was crossing the Blackstone river on the way home. I bypassed Goat Hill, didn't want to listen to my drivetrain skipping. :rolleyes: I rode along the river, across Goat Lock, down the old towpath, and did the singletrack loop clockwise, and back the way I came in. The bridges were a little sketchy, but no problem with the Nokians. :cool:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I was -32 degrees F last week for about 4 days here in MT. This was with NO windchill. Feel lucky. Id take snow over bitterly cold anyday.

J

JRB

Kanter said:
I was -32 degrees F last week for about 4 days here in MT. This was with NO windchill. Feel lucky. Id take snow over bitterly cold anyday.
Wow - that is even on the other side of the hill from Wisdom, which most often is the coldest place in the US. I am still jealous that I am not near Missoula and you are.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, I just did what any good New Englander with all wheel drive should do when 10-20 inches of snow is predicted...

...donuts.

:D

I also taught my girlfriend how to drive a clutch, and she did her first donuts - some great ones, too! :love:

Attachments