Quantcast

northstar closing rumor

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but i couldn't find anything. I heard rumors at Sea Otter that Northstar would not be opening for biking in 2006 because they will be redoing the midstation. If so, that makes me really sad. What have you guys heard?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I know a guy on the board there, no N* this year, and from the tone he came at me with, it may be no bikes at N* ever again. The way it was explained was a two part thing.

1. Golfers, soccer mommies and their oh so hot jail bait daughters don't like our "element" up there.
2. We don't bring in the money that other groups do, but we do cause a lot of problems.

As such, we may have to get somewhere else to play.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
If N* really doesn't open for 2007 - then I'm seriously gonna have to re-think this entire DH thing. Give it up – or more for a more DH friendly area.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
WTF... looks liek I have to move back to New England to find good mountain biking.

Resorts keep openeing up there while CA keeps shutting them down.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Slugman said:
WTF... looks liek I have to move back to New England to find good mountain biking.
that's just silly. i feel lucky to live in south lake and have access to all of the trails that i do. that is.... if the snow would ever melt.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
amydalayna said:
that's just silly. i feel lucky to live in south lake and have access to all of the trails that i do. that is.... if the snow would ever melt.
You're right... it shoud have read "good DH mountain biking".

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
amydalayna said:
there are plenty of shuttle runs in town too.
if i wanted just good xc mtn biking i'd move back to new england.
Resorts with good DH runs are popping up every season on the east coast. I will have a handful of places to choose from just a little bit further of a drive than it was taking you to get to N*. It looks like passes/tix are cheap too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dfinn said:
Resorts with good DH runs are popping up every season on the east coast. I will have a handful of places to choose from just a little bit further of a drive than it was taking you to get to N*. It looks like passes/tix are cheap too.

You're just trying to convince yourself. :)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
OGRipper said:
You're just trying to convince yourself. :)
I'm convinced. The little bit of EC DH I got to see last summer when I was home had me looking for more. I'll be sure to send pics ;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
amydalayna said:
i know.
do you remember the muggy summer days? i forget about them until I go back to visit.

dfinn, when you moving back?
Haha, yeah I sure do. Was in NYC last August and got a little taste. I actually miss the warm summer nights and a few days in the fall but that's about it.

DFinn, just giving you crap. For no reason other than I'm bummed about the star. :)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
amydalayna said:
i know.
do you remember the muggy summer days? i forget about them until I go back to visit.

dfinn, when you moving back?
june'ish. Dealing with the humidity will probably suck the most. But I did it for 20 some odd years and I never really complained about it that much until I moved out here and would go back to visit. I'll be able to get in a ton more biking but it will suck to be leaving a real winter.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
dfinn, where back here are you moving to?

From where I am in Va Beach I can get to six DH areas within 4 hours. Not as nice as having the * 45 minutes away, but its cheaper here, and by august its not all dust.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dfinn said:
Dealing with the humidity will probably suck the most.
I'd only move back east for 2 reasons: to buy a house WITH LAND. and family. other than that i'm loving it here. i can't bike as many months out of the year, but there is so much around.

Maybe the snow will melt before you leave and we could do xmas DH. You should do that before you go. It's one of my favorite rides down here.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I've been having a great winter but I really hope it stops snowing soon. I'll be pretty bumbed if I can't ride any of my favorite trails before I have to leave. xmas dh sounds good, definitely let me know if/when it melts off and I'll be down there. did mr amydalayna get cleared to ride?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
he went to the doctor today. 2 months till it's 100 percent. he's bummed to say the least. arm is healed, but not the wrist.
and i would like to go back to pine nuts, but he doesn't want to shuttle me if he can't ride it. can't really blame him.

i am soooo sick of the snow. even if n* was going to open this year, i can't imagine when it would be clear to ride. if we get a ton of back to back warm days here chinese DH would melt fast, but i keep seeing chance of snow in the forecast.
i wonder when mammoth would be able to open? i think they've got even more snow than us.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I don't think mammoth will be until after July 4th. They are open for skiing until at least then.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
mr. amydalayna just called me from n*. he had a big meeting with construction people there. not open this year. but definitely 2007. everyone who got a letter last year with 50$ off a 2006 pass should be getting a letter saying that we'll get $100 off a 2007 pass. (which seems like a nice gesture).
the reason for not opening this year isn't to do with the money mtn biking makes, but the liability involved with the work they'll be doing.

he also said that east west is putting alot of money into the mtn bike park for 2007, so it should be new and improved.

just thought i would throw this out there.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
even he wasn't quick to believe all the rumors that have been floating around. he had to hear it straight outta the mouths of east west.

it'll be ok. we can start a support group or something.

[Rant/] Common people ! we don;t need to rely on N* for good riding! Yes its an extremely fun place to ride, but we can still ride our trails ! Pacifica, Santa Cruz, UCSC, Sand hill, Juaquin miller, Oakland trails, Side-o in berkeley, Carlmont, shells, aptos, mabe even in the future calabazas again, marin, Mount Tam, Mt.Diablo, Sand hill ranch, Pleasenton bike park, Carniegie, and all the local secret trails that are scatered about the bay.

If the closure of N* really devestates u that much, orgonize sum friends, find a place to build and get diggin! You don;t need a lift or a shuttle, or have pre-made trails to be happy. I don;t know about other people but part of the reason why i love Downhill/Freeriding is the actual effort in makin it to the top of a trail, or building one. It gives a sense of accomplishment and then you are rewarded with an awsome ride down the hill!! Sure a shuttle is aways nice and there's nothin wrong with it, and we all enjoy being shuttled, especially up hard climbs. But we gotta have some challege in getting to the top, it build character, and makes you really apprieciate the decent. after i hike up a long trail, on the decent i try to make the best of the time i have down the trail, even stopping to session a section. When you shuttle, there is no need to stop at a section that you just messed up on and session it, because u know in the back of your head you can just catch a ride back up. And even when you do go back up and you get it wrong again you still have the same "i;ll have another try at it next time" mentality.

when you hike up a long trail, there is no next time because that next time will probably be next week or in a few weeks. I;m gonna stop now because this rant is prolly getting annoying, but i hope i got my point across. [/Rant]

peace

Jerott

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I think 2007 is going to be a good year. I was on the job the other day when another contractor was talking about Nstar this summer. He said, of course, that it’s going to be closed. He also said they had purchased one of those smaller Bobcat style trail building machines. I haven't seen this machine yet, but apparently it is a narrow chassis machine with a hoe and blade, specifically designed for working with tight/steep trail applications, much different than a normal Bobcat skidder. Supposedly, Nstar's plan is to use this machine this summer for a series of "new" trail builds.

Don't lose hope with them yet, they know they have the potential for what could be (example: Whistler). I think we're going to have to be patient with them for now, and hopefully they won't let us down in the future.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I trust N* about for about as far as I can bust a nut, which at my best is about 5'.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Tattooo said:
I trust N* about for about as far as I can bust a nut, which at my best is about 5'.
I'm with this guy, except I can go a bit farther.:rofl:

But it would be sweet if they did devote this summer to building efforts.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
BIGHIT8989 said:
[Rant/] Common people ! we don;t need to rely on N* for good riding! Yes its an extremely fun place to ride, but we can still ride our trails ! Pacifica, Santa Cruz, UCSC, Sand hill, Juaquin miller, Oakland trails, Side-o in berkeley, Carlmont, shells, aptos, mabe even in the future calabazas again, marin, Mount Tam, Mt.Diablo, Sand hill ranch, Pleasenton bike park, Carniegie, and all the local secret trails that are scatered about the bay.

If the closure of N* really devestates u that much, orgonize sum friends, find a place to build and get diggin! You don;t need a lift or a shuttle, or have pre-made trails to be happy. I don;t know about other people but part of the reason why i love Downhill/Freeriding is the actual effort in makin it to the top of a trail, or building one. It gives a sense of accomplishment and then you are rewarded with an awsome ride down the hill!! Sure a shuttle is aways nice and there's nothin wrong with it, and we all enjoy being shuttled, especially up hard climbs. But we gotta have some challege in getting to the top, it build character, and makes you really apprieciate the decent. after i hike up a long trail, on the decent i try to make the best of the time i have down the trail, even stopping to session a section. When you shuttle, there is no need to stop at a section that you just messed up on and session it, because u know in the back of your head you can just catch a ride back up. And even when you do go back up and you get it wrong again you still have the same "i;ll have another try at it next time" mentality.

when you hike up a long trail, there is no next time because that next time will probably be next week or in a few weeks. I;m gonna stop now because this rant is prolly getting annoying, but i hope i got my point across. [/Rant]

peace

Jerott

Well it would be nice if I didn't have a job, family. and a boat load of responsibilities so then I could spend time building, exploring new trails. I just don't have the time to build or pedal all day. Sure there are some ok bay area spots but most border on illegal or give you a couple runs for a days worth of riding / drive time. N* worked for me - drive straight to the mountain for 6-7 runs then home for bed that evening. I don't mind pedalling but the DH reward is minimal.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Just curious, but for all of you tahoe residents, how well does that dirt mold?

I mean, from my experiance at northstar, everything seems really sandy and I'd have serious doubts as to whether a jump / groomed trail at northstar could hold up for more than a weekend. It looks more like all the work would blow away in a few days.

Aaaand. . . how are the DH and FR trails up there? You don't have to stop riding tahoe when northstar closes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BIGHIT8989 said:

peace

Jerott
People are not going to throw their bikes away because Northstar is closed for a season. However, there are a lot of people on this site who went there at least 25 times last year, as well as every race. This screws them entirely.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
However, there are a lot of people on this site who went there at least 25 times last year, as well as every race. This screws them entirely.
i'm not throwing out my DH bike, but n* being closed is (as you know), making me reevalute my trail bike needs for the season.
which wasn't really in my bike budget for the year.

right now i'm less concerned about n* this summer and more concerned that it will NEVER stop snowing up here.
Current weather forecast:

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Acadian said:
same here :(

Do you think they would exchange it for some Whistler gas money? ;)
It says gift card on it. I'm sure they will be opening a chain of Northstar gas stations soon.:rofl: So, it looks like you may get your wish....