Quantcast

northstar closing rumor

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
N* closing really makes me sad. I was getting excited for this year, and I had heard that last year the mountain bike park grossed more than the golf course. I was expecting improvement, not closure!

On the other hand, if N* really is closed for good and not just 06, I say we start looking for an alternative. I've heard rumors about a small resort in Nevada that is opening, but I'd rather not drive that far (from Truckee). My suggestion is that somebody gets a dialogue going with either Alpine Meadows or Sugar Bowl, as these are the two major resorts which havent created a village. Plus I think California needs another bike park. Thats my input.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
SBDHrida said:
last year the mountain bike park grossed more than the golf course

thats kinda cool, I know that Whistler has started to make a lot of money in compared to skiing. Especially during the week of crankworx

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Rye_Bread said:
even* compared to skiing
You're smoking something funny if you think that. There is no possible way that bikes out spend skiing/boarding. Simple numbers + the difference in ticket price.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
SBDHrida said:
N* closing really makes me sad. I was getting excited for this year, and I had heard that last year the mountain bike park grossed more than the golf course. I was expecting improvement, not closure!

On the other hand, if N* really is closed for good and not just 06, I say we start looking for an alternative. I've heard rumors about a small resort in Nevada that is opening, but I'd rather not drive that far (from Truckee). My suggestion is that somebody gets a dialogue going with either Alpine Meadows or Sugar Bowl, as these are the two major resorts which havent created a village. Plus I think California needs another bike park. Thats my input.
Here's the thing. the golf course isn't in the way of construction. mtn biking isn't on hold this summer because of money. it is a liability issue.

And what n* has going for it is that it is outside of TRPA jurisdiction. You can't just have mtn biking at any resort you want around the lake. They throw a fit over errosion and all that stuff.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
amydalayna said:
Here's the thing. the golf course isn't in the way of construction. mtn biking isn't on hold this summer because of money. it is a liability issue.

And what n* has going for it is that it is outside of TRPA jurisdiction. You can't just have mtn biking at any resort you want around the lake. They throw a fit over errosion and all that stuff.

Its like the lawyers and the hippies got together just to screw us on this deal. Unacceptable! I'm calling in Hacksaw!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
here's a rumor that is good (for me at least!).

the word on the street is that the bottom of mr. toad's is going to be off limits to dirt bikes this year.
and.....
they are going to open up a trail over coral loop.

so, if it ever stops snowing, it's something to be excited about.

TahoeBC

Chimp
Apr 17, 2006
amydalayna said:
here's a rumor that is good (for me at least!).

the word on the street is that the bottom of mr. toad's is going to be off limits to dirt bikes this year.
and.....
they are going to open up a trail over coral loop.

so, if it ever stops snowing, it's something to be excited about.
Not a rumor, this has been in the works for a couple years now as part of the Freel/Meiss Transportationshed Trail Access and Travel Management EA.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ltbmu/projects/fm-atm/ea/

They are going to shut the lower part of Toads for motorized use. But to offset the terrain loss for those users they are going to make a loop out of coral, which will be open for there use. It will probably not be complete till the end of this summer, or early next year.

Another cool section will be a connector trail from Armstrong pass to corral bypassing the road, it will be located on the other side of the road from the creek were they decommissed the illegally built trail (which some people still ride)

Also in case you were not aware early season of this year will be the last chance to ride the X-mas Valley (Dardanelles) trail as it exist today. They are rerouting it, they finished about half of it last year and will complete it this year. It will be a much mellower trail that you will probably be able to ride up.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
TahoeBC said:
Also in case you were not aware early season of this year will be the last chance to ride the X-mas Valley (Dardanelles) trail as it exist today. They are rerouting it, they finished about half of it last year and will complete it this year. It will be a much mellower trail that you will probably be able to ride up.
that breaks my heart. seriously. x-mas valley makes me smile so much. making a much mellower version is not something i am looking forward to. but i knew it was happening sooner or later.
i can understand rerouting so that it is not so close to the stream.... but mellowing it out is pretty lame.

do you have a time table on when this is going to take place? i can't imagine the trail will be rideable for quite some time.

south lake tahoe's mtn biking is getting worse with each year. very sad.

TahoeBC

Chimp
Apr 17, 2006
I believe as soon as the reroute is complete, they will decommision the old trail, probably some time mid-riding season, depends when they can start working on it again with all this snow. It was closed for a few days back in september for blasting thru a boulder field, I hiked up to check out the work one day when I heard a jack hammer pounding away.

Some pics of the bypass being built

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
Dang. I had a couple good tour guides for X-Mas last fall, that shizz is fun. :)
you could always come out early in the season and give it a go.

i am really really bummed.
1. we just got another foot of snow
2. no n* this summer
3. no more xmas dh (my favorite trail on the south shore)
4. the continuting trend to shut down any non-xc mtn bike trails in south lake. every year a trail get shut down without creating a new comperable one. if you're going to shut down jackie chan's, work with the riders to create somewhere else for them to ride. because if you don't, they are going to create new 'secret' trails that are going to be shut down. when rerouting a trail like xmas dh, move it away from the stream, but keep it fun (and not mellow).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
let's move back to connecticut. where we both worked at insurance companies... and had the lovely weather and sights of hartford. oh what fun we had..

oh wait, maybe not.
Let's compare:

South Lake Tahoe - Hartford
Altitude - The Brickyard
Heavenly - Sundown
I-80 traffic - I-84
Sports LTD - Pig Iron
No downhill in Nor Cal - Mt Snow, Plattekill, and Case Mountain

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
No downhill in Nor Cal - Mt Snow, Plattekill, and Case Mountain
calling you out on this one. i LOVE case mountain in connecticut. it is some really fun riding. you could mix it up and make a ton of loops. but more than that i love xmas valley, hawley grade, mr. toad's, and sayles canyone. the trails out here challenge me more than anything back east.

Plattekill is soooo far from Hartford, CT. So that's not even in the equation. And Mt Snow is just OK.

And you remember what it's like to stop and change a flat back East in the middle of August? The black flys and misquitos swarming? No fun.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
calling you out on this one. i LOVE case mountain in connecticut. it is some really fun riding. you could mix it up and make a ton of loops. but more than that i love xmas valley, hawley grade, mr. toad's, and sayles canyone. the trails out here challenge me more than anything back east.

Plattekill is soooo far from Hartford, CT. So that's not even in the equation. And Mt Snow is just OK.

And you remember what it's like to stop and change a flat back East in the middle of August? The black flys and misquitos swarming? No fun.
I have no idea. I only did road in Connecticut.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
don't forget about Jiminy Peak and Diablo. Oh god, I had forgotten about the squeeters. Son of a B$%#@

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dfinn said:
don't forget about Jiminy Peak and Diablo. Oh god, I had forgotten about the squeeters. Son of a B$%#@
I rode over Jiminy Peak on my road bike, on my ride from Hartford to Saratoga Springs...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dfinn said:
You'll remember them the first time you flat and none of your friends wait for you....

One of the things I do miss about riding in CT are the night rides. No one out here somes to be into them.