Quantcast

Northstar poll

Build bridges at northstar?

• Build bridges, it should be like whistler!

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Use the natural terrain, route over the rocks and us them for drops and jumps.

Votes: 18 60.0%

• Total voters

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
supposedly this year they are going to build a lot of bridges and those types of obstacles. I don't think that northstar needs this though, and I don't think it "needs to be like whistler" in this respect. The natural terrain at N* kicks serious butt, and when they use it (like with sticks n stones) it is simply awesome. I think they should route more trails like sticks n stones.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by Acadian
I agree that nothing beats natural terrain type trails, but if they build a specific trail with some bridges and stunts that would be cool. Just don't go building them on the already existing trails.

I concur :thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
New ways to blow out my shocks for sure!

I took my iron horse to northstar a few days after I got it, and I decided to ride as agressive as possible (ahh..warrenties...), and do every drop that I could find...lol, next morning there was a puddle of oil below it in the garage.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Natural and gnarly is my vote.

Now if they had a bike park with that stuff or new trails using bridges and schtuff that would be cool. Just don't throw that stuff in the middle of existing trails

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
nah...not all stunts are going to blow your shock(s). If build with proper trannies or transitions its smooth as butter!! drops to flat SUX (and are stupid)...if that's what they decide to build, you won't see me riding it.

Bridges can also be cool to ride..but not if 50ft in the trees!! ;)
i know, i had a new bike and i did all the drops to flat :D I don't do that all the time. Big drops to flat blew out my fox pretty easy.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I think a couple of bridges/stunts in a confined area would be cool, but the place really does not need them. I say keep it natural, one of Northstars biggest attrubutes is the rocks, ( and all the cool names MBA made up for them :rolleyes: ) I think they should focus on that.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
good point. I guess if it came down to spending $$ to either build sunts or new tails (sans stunts), I would have to pick the trails. We need more trails like Boondocks :thumb:

( as homer s. would say ) mmmm....boondocks:drool: Boondocks to liftline to beer..mmmm then the gondola back up while watching that dreadful echo chair sit idle...mmmmmmm:drool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I don't think N* needs that stuff, if they want to add something different, open the restaurant at the top of the gondola for food & beer so you don't have to go to the village.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I don't think N* needs that stuff, if they want to add something different, open the restaurant at the top of the gondola for food & beer so you don't have to go to the village.
good call

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
The new stunts and the drops to flat will spawn FRONS (free riders of N*).. I'm for more jumps, high speed sections and berms over stunts...

Keep it real!

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ive got more northshore stunts and ladders here in the midwest than i know what to do with. Whey you have a mountain and all of that elevation use it, use the terrain and whatnot. you can build ladder stuff on flat ground, why take up DH space for it?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

;)

when I ride...no time for food... :D
Yeah, but ladders to the deck and then drop onto the picknick table for beer!

I'll go put my linkage plates on now.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
ive got more northshore stunts and ladders here in the midwest than i know what to do with. Whey you have a mountain and all of that elevation use it, use the terrain and whatnot. you can build ladder stuff on flat ground, why take up DH space for it?
Because it is fun :)...

I don't know the mountain you are talking about specifically...(never been there)...but one run not damaging or removing anything else fun can't hurt, can it...I would never want a perfectly good trail destroyed JUST for the sake of some stunts...

The funny thing is...when I think of whistler I definately don't think 'skinnies' haha...North shore yes..whistler...no :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
And nothing comes close to the feeling of going as fast as you can possibly can amongst trees, rocks, ruts, squirrels, etc..

GOD I CAN'T WAIT FOR N* TO OPEN!!!!
Ok that sounds like my kind of trail. I love narrow and technical. Wide open has its moments...but I spend 90% of my time in the valley trails because they are mostly tight :)

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
second thought...

having "flowy" stunts (aka: not uber slow north shore style) along the "other" trails like flameout would be a cool addition...if they really want to add somthing that bad.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Been there once, and I didn't think that most of the trails NEEDED stunts, but when done well, it would be so fun. I would say add some, but no need, just for more fun stuff. Maybe connecting big unrideable boulders. Then add some landings for the drops. I didnt hit most of them because they were kinda flat.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Originally posted by T-Pirate
Been there once, and I didn't think that most of the trails NEEDED stunts, but when done well, it would be so fun. I would say add some, but no need, just for more fun stuff. Maybe connecting big unrideable boulders. Then add some landings for the drops. I didnt hit most of them because they were kinda flat.
Even though I lub N*, after riding there for a bit I kinda feel the need for something different. The first time I was up there I thought I would never get tired of the trails, but it does happen. I wouldn't add stunts on the existing trails, but I would add some trails with stunts and more with natural obstacles.

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Mmmmmmm, stunts :drool:
I am all about the slow technical stunts. North Shore Style.

That said, N* may not be optimal for stunts. I like having a friendly fall zone around scary stunts. That means 6 feet on each side free of sharp rocks and pungi sticks. I don't know that you could find 6 feet on the whole mountain :rolleyes: . N* is all about the rocks.

For N* I think a groomed play area with drops, stunts, and jumps may be more practical than a bunch of stunt filled top to bottom trails, but I hope I'm wrong and they do both.

In closing... Everything should try to be more like Whistler...
Mmmmm, Whistler :drool:

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
when the hell does N* open this year?

instead of a 1 day trip im gonna go for a whole wekk this year.

that is my plan.