Quantcast

Northstar's opening weekend date......................

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just got an email from a friend who's boyfriend is head of security @ N*. From what I understand it opens June 24th or 25th. Sounds a little late to me, but maybe with all the snow they've had it's possible. We will see.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's definitely the 25th. It's on the summer website. There's an xc trail that faces south (right at northstar) across martis valley that's just about melted out. It's torture riding that place for 2 months just staring at the slowly creeping snowline going up the hill. I still haven't seen a closing date (not like it matters).

Oh wait. It does matter.........Anybody wanna go jump dh bikes on the leftover table top jumps? I kinda do.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
kidwoo said:
It's definitely the 25th. It's on the summer website. There's an xc trail that faces south (right at northstar) across martis valley that's just about melted out. It's torture riding that place for 2 months just staring at the slowly creeping snowline going up the hill. I still haven't seen a closing date (not like it matters).

Oh wait. It does matter.........Anybody wanna go jump dh bikes on the leftover table top jumps? I kinda do.
I thought they had a set close date and I heard it was coming up really soon. I also heard this early close date was because it was national forest land. is this not true?

damn, won't be able to make it that weekend. my brother is getting hitched.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
I thought they had a set close date and I heard it was coming up really soon. I also heard this early close date was because it was national forest land. is this not true?

damn, won't be able to make it that weekend. my brother is getting hitched.

Lookout mountain is FS lease, the main stuff is owned by northstar. That's why they can get away with the erosion nightmare that is DH mountainbiking.

I don't think they're on any sort of mandatory closing schedule. Look at alpine. They are on a FS lease and they stay open until june sometimes.

Got any bags of salt?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Everything I've seen from alpine has a fixed date of May 22nd. But they way things are looking up there they should be able to stay open longer than that unless we get a really warm streak. Has anything around us melted yet? How's life in little tijuana?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
Everything I've seen from alpine has a fixed date of May 22nd. But they way things are looking up there they should be able to stay open longer than that unless we get a really warm streak. Has anything around us melted yet? How's life in little tijuana?
Things have been a little depressed with the pope going down and all but dayum there's some fine tamales to be had.

Actually I have no Idea. I was in atlanta for a week as soon as we moved.

So Alpine is closing may 22? That changes every year. I still never got a spring pass. I'm trying to figure out if I care or not. Biking is kind of fun too.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
May 22nd, at least that's what it said on the spring pass flyer. I've almost gotten my money worth out of it, and with how good it was last saturday(easily +1.5 feet in some areas) that definitely makes it seem worth it.

for_sale

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Truckee
Yes. There owned by trimont(sp?) Land Corp and they tell N* when they can open and when they can close. At least from working there thats what I understand.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
Actually the ski areas choose the date they are going to close.
They take in consideration the amount of visitors and ticket sales at certain dates.
N* always has closed for skiing the second or third weekend in April. It depends on how business is going.
Alpine used to go for closing on July 4th, so they could claim the longest season in the USA. After loosing tons of money staying open when no one wanted to ski. They have changed thier business plan so they do not loose thier profits staying open until june or july. Hence the may closing in recent years.
This comes from 18 seasons working in the ski industry in Tahoe.