Quantcast

nose manuals hard on your fork?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Are these as hard on your fork as I think they are? For some reason when I hit that front brake to bring the arse end up I just feel like im abusing the fork.... (z1 drop off 2000) is what im running now.

b-man

Chimp
May 25, 2002
ct
I feel the same way- I run a 2003 super t and I just feel like I'm not doing it any good by nearly locking the front brake and compressing it at the same time that it wants to be flexing backwards. Yuck, its just a nasty feeling. Its probably not amazing for your bushings or headset, but I'm no expert.

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
Probably not good. I have two Marzocchi forks that have cracks at the arch/seal junction. Probably didn't help me doing the nose manuals.:(

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
2001 is Mg 2002 is BAM (Bomber Aerospace Material) aka aluminum. 2003+ is magnesium 1 piece.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by HTFR
no. you cant wel Mg. (well atlease to my knowledge)
You can, and Merida have a factory in Taiwan dedicated to doing their mag bikes, but it's a very difficult process and not something you'd be able to do without the right setup.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Is that a joke or are there really people out there that don't use their front brake for nose manuals?

If so, what's the technique? I can do a regular manual and control it by moving my hips front to back but I am having a hard time figuring out what motion would control a nose manual.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by crashing_sux
Is that a joke or are there really people out there that don't use their front brake for nose manuals?

If so, what's the technique? I can do a regular manual and control it by moving my hips front to back but I am having a hard time figuring out what motion would control a nose manual.
I have seen bmxers do it. Simply bring the rear up...no brake nothing...never seen a mtber do it though...

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I can get the rear up, it's just adjusting my balance. I was screwing around in the grass one day and found I can completely endo my bike without touching the brakes, but the only way I can ride a nose manual is using the front brake for balance.

If there is another way to balance without the front brake I'd love to learn it. I see bmx'ers sit on the seat and hang one leg out front swinging it back and forth for balance which looks pretty cool but I'm not really interested in learning that technique.