Quantcast

Not a beginner...but out of touch for some time

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by JMHills, Apr 2, 2019.

1. JMHills

JMHills Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 2
    I have been riding most of my life (30+ years). I rode and raced XC and off road, dipping into mild FR and DH stuff with my Trek Liquid. Around 2003, nasty wreck, lots of broken stuff, and I never really got back into the saddle comfortably (the frame was now not sized well for me). I did start racing TT on the road and riding road, a lot. So, I would say that the last time I was into the dirt world was around 2005. That was a long time ago and a LOT has changed. 29" wheels were just coming out and were largely seen as a gimmick.

The time has come for me to get back into the woods but things have progressed so much that I do not know where to begin. The Bible is an entertaining read but they are blowing up a lot of bikes that are WAY out of my budget. I am looking for a starting line for my research.

- Budget ~$2500
    - I am 6'3" and when I was racing tri, I had a Retul fit done so here are my numbers
    Stack- 24.02" Reach- 22.45" Saddle height- 33.5"
    - I am open to hardtail and full suspension bikes. Fat tire and plus size never existed when I was riding. 2.1- 2.2 was big
    - I want to ride and have a competent enough spec to take some beating and room to upgrade everything but the frame, if need be.
    - I live in Va so we have ups and downs, some hike a bike sections, rocks, mud, roots, and more rocks and roots.

So, where should I be looking? I am open to hardtails with plus size tires as they seem to offer some 'suspension' and I grew up racing and riding hard tails so I am comfortable with their drawbacks and advantages.

HELP!

#1 -   Apr 2, 2019

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Kevin

Kevin Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    76 / 376
    In Holland sticking my finger in a dike...
    Welcome JM. In order to help you and give the best possible help in this situation, i think we will need a little more info so Ill just start with the basics here...

Do you like gladiator movies and/or have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

#2 -   Apr 2, 2019
  3. 4130biker

4130biker PM me about Tantrum Cycles!

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 441
    I want to know if he’s ever been inside of a cockpit!

#3 -   Apr 2, 2019
  4. JMHills

JMHills Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 2
    Hmmmm, Ive not been to a Turkish prison but am a public high school teacher so I think I could handle it. I do believe that Gladiator is one of Crowes best films and an infinitely rewatchable movie.

#4 -   Apr 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JMHills

JMHills Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 2
    I have been inside a cockpit (my sister and BIL are both USMC helo pilots) and I have bummed some time in one of their simulators to demonstrate how awesome I am at crashing on the flight decks of carriers. Does that count?

#5 -   Apr 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    115 / 836
    My advice is to cruise the local classified (Pink Bike, Facebook, and Craigslist) for lightly used full suspension "trail" bikes. Aim for something 2 to 3 years old that hasn't been ridden much. The full suspension bikes have come so far in the last 10 years that it doesn't make sense to buy a hardtail for trail riding any more. It's gonna be a bit tough since you'll need an XL, but with some patience you should be able to find something good.

For all around riding I'd recommend looking for a bike with 140mm or 150mm of travel (130 is also ok)

Bikes and brands to look for.

Santa Cruz - Hightower, 5010, Bronson
    Yeti - SB5, SB5.5
    Rocky Mountain - Pipeline, Instinct
    Trek - Remedy

There's lots more but I'm to lazy to keep typing. Good Luck!!

#6 -   Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,020
    Just get the red one.

#7 -   Apr 2, 2019
  8. maddog17

maddog17 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 83
    i thought to be a real member here you need to get bikes in rootbeer. or has that changed and i missed it.
    but for the OP, i'll also recommend Pivot Mach 429 or the Trail 429. find a local dealer and see if they will be having a demo day.

#8 -   Apr 3, 2019
  9. rideit

rideit Bob the Builder

Rep/Likes:
    88 / 1,460
    Sunblock dissolves in root beer.

#9 -   Apr 3, 2019
  10. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    115 / 836
    I second this. If you have time, go demo as many bikes as you can. Often demo days will be free or relatively cheap. It's a good way to find out what you like and don't like.