Quantcast

Not really computer related...

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
unlocked means you can use it on any network/sim card, when you buy a phone form a network they usually lock it so that it only works with they're sim cards, the phone just wont recognise sim cards from other networks, which is a pain in the ass.
but phones can be unlocked which allows you to put in other sim cards from different networks.

i usually have my phones unlocked but havnt had my SE k750i done yet.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
it help for when you are traveling over seas my family has one you pay extra, but then the phone doesn't only work with cingular or at&t it also works with foriegn compony or other that run off sim cards as well, if you are traveling it a good thing, you save money when you have to make calls

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pau11y said:
Ah... copy that. So, pointless unless you're going to be travelling internationally w/ your cell, or you plan on swapping providers all the time...
No no no, not pointless at all. The point is that unless you get an unlocked phone, you're can't buy a phone from eBay except for a specific service provider. It has nothing to do with swapping providers, and has everything to do with choosing your first provider :)

It's like those VoIP phones that are Vonage-only. Unless you have an unlocked phone, you can ONLY use the provider that the phone is set up for.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
zmtber said:
it help for when you are traveling over seas my family has one you pay extra, but then the phone doesn't only work with cingular or at&t it also works with foriegn compony or other that run off sim cards as well, if you are traveling it a good thing, you save money when you have to make calls
are you referring to tri-band phones?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
are you referring to tri-band phones?
I didn't quite understand that post either... The unlocked phone should have nothing to do with travelling, only with signing up with a provider. You just have to make sure your phone supports the cellular network in the country you're travelling to.

I've never heard of someone changing their SIM card to travel overseas :confused:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Note to Verizon peeps:

Verizon is cheap and incredibly lowtecchy, they don't have SIM cards. You're scrooed on that front.